Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Glad to see that most folks are pleasantly surprised.

Why did they release that crappy "Tattoo" song as their first single then?????
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Glad to see that most folks are pleasantly surprised.

Why did they release that crappy "Tattoo" song as their first single then?????

That is the $500,000 dollar question...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:46 am

I remember people having a similar reaction to the decision to release "Why Can't This Be Love" as the first single from 5150.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:29 am

I think the whole album is good, except for maybe Tattoo and Stay Frosty.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:37 am

S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
OK, being a big DLR-era fan and a major post-DLR detractor (I HATE VanHagar!), should I pick this up or not?

In a heartbeat. It's probably closest to "Fair Warning" in spirit.

I agree. Maybe a little VH 2 as well...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:45 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
I Just picked this up at Best Buy, along with the Metallica E.P! Life is good...

Same here. Finally! Some good metal to buy. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 7:24 am

S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
OK, being a big DLR-era fan and a major post-DLR detractor (I HATE VanHagar!), should I pick this up or not?

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 am

Troublezone wrote:
S.D. wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I agree. Maybe a little VH 2 as well...

Yep - that's exactly how I would describe it! VH II Meets Fair Warning
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:05 am

S.D. wrote:
I remember people having a similar reaction to the decision to release "Why Can't This Be Love" as the first single from 5150.

That's a much better song than "Tattoo"... Cool
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:46 am

I think they did it on purpose. realease the weakest song....have peoples wondering. They'll buy the album anyway. Then -BLAMMO! Surprise. This cd rocks!

Just a theory.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:51 am

Shiney wrote:
I think they did it on purpose. realease the weakest song....have peoples wondering. They'll buy the album anyway. Then -BLAMMO! Surprise. This cd rocks!

Just a theory.

I think some suit at the label thought "Tattoo" had hit potential since it wasn't an over the top rocker...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:53 am

The band played a private rehersal gig last night at the Forum in LA for family & friends. Here's the setlist...

01. You Really Got Me
02. Running With The Devil
03. She's The Woman
04. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
05. Tattoo
06. Everybody Wants Some
07. Beautiful Girls
08. Ice Cream Man
09. China Town
10. Dance The Night Away
11. Hot For Teacher
12. Blood And Fire
13. Guitar Solo
14. Panama
15. Jump

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:34 am

decent enough setlist

wonder if they are gonna get hip and change up the tunes night by night ?

They have a deep enough catalog to do so (IMHO)

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:01 am

'Tattoo' might not be the best song on the album and a poor choice for the lead-off single, but damn if it ain't catchy. It's burrowed into my brain.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:05 am

James B. wrote:
decent enough setlist

wonder if they are gonna get hip and change up the tunes night by night ?

They have a deep enough catalog to do so (IMHO)

Probably depends on the stage show. If they have a lot of lights, lasers, pyro, etc. it's not easy to switch things around. Those things need lotsa coordination.

I'll let you know when I see them on the 5th.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:09 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
'Tattoo' might not be the best song on the album and a poor choice for the lead-off single, but damn if it ain't catchy. It's burrowed into my brain.

I avoided the audio clips.......then finaly got bitten when I saw the video while "cruisin" YouTube. I happen to like "tattoo". It is that "other" element of Van Halen. Not too much of a stretch for them.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:22 am

I will give this a try now that know that Tatoo is the weakest song (what I heard of it didn't impress me one bit).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:29 am

James B. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I avoided the audio clips.......then finaly got bitten when I saw the video while "cruisin" YouTube. I happen to like "tattoo". It is that "other" element of Van Halen. Not too much of a stretch for them.

I love that song, its catchy as hell, and the lyrics are clever IMO. Nice metaphors for the meaning of tattoos and the transformation it symbolism to some peps, when they get their poetry in ink, to quote Diamond Dave
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:58 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

It's hella catchy!!!! I just see the title and the "tattoo, tattoo" chorus pops into my head... and I found myself singing along to it in the car.......... what a sheeple Laughing
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Just got the deluxe version today. I like it better than the both Chickenfoot records.

I've only heard the first Chickenfoot record, but yeah, the new VH is way better.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Just got the deluxe version today. I like it better than the both Chickenfoot records.

I've only heard the first Chickenfoot record, but yeah, the new VH is way better.

I think the new VH is really good...but Chickenfoot's second album still comes out on top for me...it has more balls/energy, IMO. There's not a single poor song on it, which is more than I can say for the new VH...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I think the new VH is really good...but Chickenfoot's second album still comes out on top for me...it has more balls/energy, IMO. There's not a single poor song on it, which is more than I can say for the new VH...

I got to disagree on all counts. Especially the balls/energy comparison. I think about half of both Chickenfoot albums are boring.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Completely agree.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:50 pm

I think Satriani is a more technical player than Eddie... but he can't come close to the tone and riffage that Eddie has.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Better than anything on the new VH.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 17 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 29  Next