Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 10:53 pm

jstate wrote:
My Walmart had the tshirt bundle but it appears to be just the CD version and not the deluxe edition with the dvd. I'll probably hold off for the deluxe version elsewhere.

T-shirt bundle is sold out online. Sad Where did they have it? I went to the new release CD section and only saw the regular/deluxe editions. They didn't even have those two in the regular CD section.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Listening on Spotify now..."Tattoo" still comes off sorta contrived on the lyrical side..."She's The Woman" was pretty good..."You And Your Blues" just starting...

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:11 pm

"Y&YB" is not bad..."China Town" rocks...EVH sounds killer so far..."Tattoo" is the weakest song...

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Listening on Spotify now..."Tattoo" still comes off sorta contrived on the lyrical side..."She's The Woman" was pretty good..."You And Your Blues" just starting...

My favorites at this point....

1. Big River
2. Outta Space
3. Honeysweetiebabydoll
4. Blood And Fire
5. As Is
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:16 pm

"Blood And Fire" is very Van Halen...reminds me of Diver Down..."Bullethead" rocks...this is starting to sound like a Van Halen album...will I end up eating my words?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:21 pm

"Honeybabysweetiedoll"...wow...what the hell were they thinking putting out "Tattoo"???? I gotta buy this..."Tatoo" is still lame...but every song after has been cool...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:45 am

"Tattoo" isn't a bad song. It's kinda fun, but it's horrible choice for a "comeback" single. "Big River" is a fantastic tune, classic-sounding VH, as is "She's The Woman. Both would have served much better as singles.

My least favorite track is "Honeybabysweetiedoll." It's a bit of a mess, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:52 am

Big River is such a KILLER song I'm amazed they hadn't recorded it earlier in their career (it's been around since their demo as Big Trouble).

If Honeybabysweetiedoll is a mess then it's the kind of mess I really enjoy, kickass tune.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 3:06 am

Ah, indeed. I actually downloaded that demo a few months ago. And I see "Outta Space" is "Let's Get Rockin'."
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:46 am

"Tattoo" is a Track 8 or 9...not a lead single.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:17 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
"Tattoo" is a Track 8 or 9...not a lead single.

Agree - that would have worked much better!!! Maybe they wanted everyone's expectations lowered so they release Tattoo as the first single so when we heard the rest of the album we would be blown away. If that was the case, it worked!

I am really enjoying the album - the best way to describe it I can think of is Fair Warning meets Van Halen II
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:23 am

Got it last night. I'm liking what I hear so far.

Quote :
If Honeybabysweetiedoll is a mess then it's the kind of mess I really enjoy, kickass tune.

It sorta reminds me of 'Loss of Control'. Just random noises and noodling from Ed and Dave rambling. But it somehow works.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:59 pm

Okay, I'm officially saying this is a great album. Full of awesome fun rock 'n' roll. Great summer album.

While "Tattoo" is not indicative of the rest of the album, it's the most accessible, I think. Very light and rock/pop so I can kind of see the justification in making that the single to try to appeal to the mainstream audience. Still, they had to know the hardcore fans were going to tear it apart since it's such a laid back song and people wanted their first taste of new VH to be a cannon blast. I definitely wouldn't have opened the album with it though, should've gone with "She's the Woman".

S.D. wrote:
Big River is such a KILLER song I'm amazed they hadn't recorded it earlier in their career (it's been around since their demo as Big Trouble).

"Big River" is definitely the most old school sounding on the whole disc, I think. Great track.

I love "Honeybabysweetiedoll". It's a bruiser, different and is slightly modern. I'd be very interested in hearing an entire album in this vein.

I've been streaming on Spotify but I'm definitely going to pick up a CD copy later this week so I can have something to tote around with me. I hope lyrics are with it.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:08 pm

I got on Spotify last night and listened to the album. I think the VH guys have hit a grand slam with this effort! I will be picking this up today on my visit to Best Buy and probably grab the Metallica E.P as well. Hopefully I will be able to get enough listens to where I can give a list of my favorite tracks in order. Like many others on here, I still can't believe that the band released "Tattoo" as the lead single, which as of right now, if it's not the worst song on the album, then it's at least the second worst song on the album.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm not as sold as you guys, yet, but after some listens i'm pleasantly surprised. Didn't think they had anything left.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:23 pm

I think "Stay Frosty" is easily the worst song, but it's not terrible.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
I think "Stay Frosty" is easily the worst song, but it's not terrible.

That's funny, because that was the second song that I had in mind for worst track on the album. Kind of ironic that the two worst songs on the album are the lead single and one of the officially released 90 second previews of a track by the band. Who the hell is telling the band that these were the songs that should be previewed by the public first?
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I'm not as sold as you guys, yet, but after some listens i'm pleasantly surprised. Didn't think they had anything left.

Fanboys will never agree, some will go as far as "You got to have years of experience from listening to vinyls and shyt in order to appreciate the greatness of this album " lol!

I mean, Nostalgia is one thing, right?

I am a Fan of their first 3 albums only, coz it's good music, and thank God I wasn't blinded by extreme fanaticism ///PEACE
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Got it last night. I'm liking what I hear so far.

Quote :

It sorta reminds me of 'Loss of Control'. Just random noises and noodling from Ed and Dave rambling. But it somehow works.

I LOVE that song!!!!!!! I'm gonna have to get this album... today. I'll be out and about.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:46 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Fanboys will never agree, some will go as far as "You got to have years of experience from listening to vinyls and shyt in order to appreciate the greatness of this album " lol!

I am a Fan of their first 3 albums only, coz it's good music, and thank God I wasn't blinded by extreme fanaticism ///PEACE
I've always enjoyed them, but they've never been a favorite of mine. They've made some fantastic albums, but I can't really indulge myself in them. They're a "small doses" kind of band.

So there's no "extreme fanaticism" behind my saying that this is a really good album.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I've always enjoyed them, but they've never been a favorite of mine. They've made some fantastic albums, but I can't really indulge myself in them. They're a "small doses" kind of band.

So there's no "extreme fanaticism" behind my saying that this is a really good album.

FUCKINGBINGO!!!! This is exactly why I didn't have any issues taking pot shots at the single, and some of the previews. Yet, in the same juncture, I stated that I would reserve final judgment until I had listened to the whole album. I am in NO way shape or form a fan boy of Van Halen! I know some VH fans probably couldn't wait to get the circle jerk ready to go on Tuesday, but sorry folks I was not going to be one of those. I appreciate their contribution to music, but when it is all said and done, I more or less loathe Eddie Van Halen as a human being, and I think Alex is nothing more than his lap dog. The Michael Anthony thing is a total embarrassment and yadda, yadda, yadda the list could go on. With that being said, this album at first listen seems pretty damn good! So, kudos to Van Halen...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:01 pm

I am a huge Van Halen fanboy and I am glad to see, even casual Van Halen fans are giving this album a thumbs up.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 pm

The last three post have nailed it - "extreme fanaticism" has NOTHING to do with people liking the album. I have seen (via FB posts and talking to people about it outside of HoM) that the general consensus is that A Different Kind Of Truth is a GREAT album. That's coming from VH fan boys, casual fans, fans of rock music in general, people that gave up on VH after Roth left and expected the album to suck, people that hated or thought Tattoo was weak, etc, etc.

Don't like it? Well, don't listen to it!!!! Want to post you don't like it? Go for it, just don't be a jerk about it. It's like when you are in a room and one person is not happy, so they decide to be a douche bag and make everyone else around them unhappy too. No need for it!!!!!

Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:37 pm

I picked up my copy at Best Buy on my way to work yesterday afternoon. Of course, the CD opens with Tattoo. You can say what you want, but this song was in my head all night last night and this morning. It's a good song with clever lyrics and obviously a great hook.

Next up, She's The Woman. By chorus time I was head banging (mildly) and thinking to myself that this is the Van Halen I love. The song would easily fit on Van Halen II.

I was only able to make it as far as track four before arriving at work, but was reminded of tunes from Fair Warning and thinking this is gonna be killer.

After work I listened to the whole CD from beginning to end, lyrics in hand, and have come to the conclusion that "A Different Kind Of Truth" is worthy of the highest praise. If this album had been released in 1986 it would be considered a classic today. I guarantee it. Big River, She's The Woman, As Is, Honeybabysweetiedoll... Classic!

Plus, "The Trouble With Never" works much better within the context of the whole album. Kind of like "Revolution" from Angel of Retribution worked better for me in context than it did as a single.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 2:40 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
The last three post have nailed it - "extreme fanaticism" has NOTHING to do with people liking the album. I have seen (via FB posts and talking to people about it outside of HoM) that the general consensus is that A Different Kind Of Truth is a GREAT album. That's coming from VH fan boys, casual fans, fans of rock music in general, people that gave up on VH after Roth left and expected the album to suck, people that hated or thought Tattoo was weak, etc, etc.

Don't like it? Well, don't listen to it!!!! Want to post you don't like it? Go for it, just don't be a jerk about it. It's like when you are in a room and one person is not happy, so they decide to be a douche bag and make everyone else around them unhappy too. No need for it!!!!!

Hey, if someone doesn't like it, at least explain your reasons for not liking the album. I probably won't agree with their assessment for not liking the album, but I will at least respect them for a constructing a cogent argument for why this album does not live up to the Van Halen name...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 15 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 15 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 29  Next