Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:10 pm

I heard "Tattoo" about a week and a half ago and thought it was pretty mediocre. However, I just heard "China Town" earlier this morning and loved it!! It really does sound like classic Van Halen. I'll be sure to check out the rest of the album.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:18 pm

James B. wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
James B. wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
AND give a critique that is subjective in nature.

Laughing very hard

What's so funny about that? I don't have a problem with being able to do such a thing. It's called intellectual honesty.

what sort of critique or opinion is not subjective ?

When a bias is involved from a thread, whether it be positive or negative.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:23 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
James B. wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
James B. wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
AND give a critique that is subjective in nature.

Laughing very hard

What's so funny about that? I don't have a problem with being able to do such a thing. It's called intellectual honesty.

what sort of critique or opinion is not subjective ?

When a bias is involved from a thread, whether it be positive or negative.

All depends on context, adjectives are funny that way.

existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought ( opposed to objective).

pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.

placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

Philosophy . relating to or of the nature of an object as it is known in the mind as distinct from a thing in itself.

relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind as distinguished from general or universal experience.

see bias implied a few of those definitions

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:28 pm

This will be on the shelf @ Walmart when I go on Thursday, but I may opt for the Metallica EP first...get it next week.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
This will be on the shelf @ Walmart when I go on Thursday, but I may opt for the Metallica EP first...get it next week.

a Metallica E.P.......where have I been Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:34 pm

James B. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

a Metallica E.P.......where have I been Laughing very hard

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Beyond_Magnetic_500

4 songs for $5 at Walmart...
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Oh yeah, those songs we "disscussed" a while back, thanks bro.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 pm

I saw that at BEst Buy today for $4....picked it up and then remembered.

I stopped giving a Smurf about anything Metallica-related years ago.

Smile

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:52 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
S.D, would you say that your Jazz acumen has increased exponentially over those years, or would you say that you peaked after immersing yourself in that music after a two year period?

I would say it peaked at about 10 years, yet I still have countless artists I can explore when the mood hits me again to explore further. For now I'm content with all the stuff I discovered during that decade long "study" of jazz.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
S.D, would you say that your Jazz acumen has increased exponentially over those years, or would you say that you peaked after immersing yourself in that music after a two year period?

I would say it peaked at about 10 years, yet I still have countless artists I can explore when the mood hits me again to explore further. For now I'm content with all the stuff I discovered during that decade long "study" of jazz.

I threw the two years thing out there just as an example, as I knew that your love for jazz easily went beyond what one could discover and immerse themselves in that length of time. I guess it was my way of just trying to prove a point discussed earlier in the conversation. Hell, I've been at this metal thing for the better part of almost 30 years, and there are people on here who could "School" me, when it comes to the overall history of the genre. I'm still playing the catch up game, so I have no problem deferring to others. It doesn't mean my voice shouldn't be heard on matters, but I clearly recognize when someone knows more about a band/song/movement. That's when I more or less become a reader on here and less of a writer. This place for all intents and purposes is a metal head's wet dream. Smile
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:12 pm

Van Halen new cd is just like this place.......GREAT !

objective or subjective.......no matter

I am a sarcastic @$$hole, but some people do love me still !

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 pm

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 3+things+1

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 3+things+1

Laughing very hard finger pointer

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm not going to read the last 14 pages of brilliant and enlightening material. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 927150 Is it worth paying the shills for the new album?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Just bought the new Van Halen, have not listened to it yet, since I also bought two new Hendrix albums, and Metallica's EP.

I am going to rock the house after this Hendrix disc ends and play Van Halen at the proper volume, and my one year old is going to know that cradle will rock !
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:25 pm

yep

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I'm not going to read the last 14 pages of brilliant and enlightening material. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 927150 Is it worth paying the shills for the new album?

that my friend is subjective

even if you are an old fan of VH, a new one, or even a fan of jazz. (IMHO) It is worth purchasing if you like fun, catchy, hard edged music.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Well, I trust you guys James. Hey, how you been?

Last edited by Dark Horseman on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Didn't know Walmart had an exclusive version with a T shirt for $20.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

I guess maybe that's just online. I only saw the regular edition and deluxe edition when I was there earlier. I didn't pick up either since Spotify is already streaming the album. I don't care about the DVD but would've picked up the t-shirt bundle, if they had it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:59 pm

Cool...if it's on Spotify I'll listen to it first...I liked "As Is" but am still not hyped up into "must own it now" status...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:02 pm

I like it. I don't think it's great, but it's definitely good and worth listening to for anyone who likes the DLR era. I'm only on my second spin though and may end up liking it more...
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

I guess maybe that's just online. I only saw the regular edition and deluxe edition when I was there earlier. I didn't pick up either since Spotify is already streaming the album. I don't care about the DVD but would've picked up the t-shirt bundle, if they had it.

oh maybe

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 4:09 pm

My Walmart had the tshirt bundle but it appears to be just the CD version and not the deluxe edition with the dvd. I'll probably hold off for the deluxe version elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Ok..I just heard the whole album. Didn't care for the song "tattoo" very much but the rest of it kicks ass. I think I will buy it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 14 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 14 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 29  Next