Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Retro!

Go down 
+23
corplhicks
TheGreatDuck
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
chewie
Dark Horseman
mc666
Zdan
Andy
INVADERS
Witchfinder
James B.
EvyMetal
Wargod
Wurthless
arachnoplasma
Joe
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
kmorg
Eyesore
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:59 pm

I vaugley remember checking out some of their older material and being turned off by the vocals.
Listening to that song you posted and going back to YouTube for some other samples, the vocals don't sound nearly as horrible as I remember them. Might have to re-investigate these cats. I'm now hearing some Mastadon-like sounds.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 3:50 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I vaugley remember checking out some of their older material and being turned off by the vocals.
Listening to that song you posted and going back to YouTube for some other samples, the vocals don't sound nearly as horrible as I remember them. Might have to re-investigate these cats. I'm now hearing some Mastadon-like sounds.
Mastodon's a good comparison, I guess.

That's what I knew them to be like. Guess they've changed.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Yea, that's what I remember. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Going more main-stream nowadays I guess. SELL-OUTS!! Razz

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 4:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

The vocals turned me off as well. That new one didn't sound bad at all.
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 7:45 pm

I bought the Red album when it came out (based on a recommendation), listened to it twice and sold it. One of the most tuneless and inept vocalists I've ever heard in my life. A couple songs had cool riffs, but for the most part they sounded like low-rent Mastodon, just not anywhere near as talented.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 3:22 am

Hell yeah! Just found out that Mississippi Bones has a new album out.

Such a great band!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:12 am

Has a bit of Black Label Society-vibe to it in the guitar. Not bad.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:03 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Has a bit of Black Label Society-vibe to it in the guitar. Not bad.
Some of that, some Clutch, some Five Horse Johnson. The first album is great; this one sounds damn good as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:07 am

Quote :
some Five Horse Johnson

How are these guys? I've heard a song or 2 from them on various comps, but never investigated any further.

Clutch is a band I can't get into. A co-worker sent me some tunes once and they just didn't click with me. A little to "out there" I think.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 11:42 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
some Five Horse Johnson

How are these guys? I've heard a song or 2 from them on various comps, but never investigated any further.

Clutch is a band I can't get into. A co-worker sent me some tunes once and they just didn't click with me. A little to "out there" I think.
The first two Clutch albums are fairly different from what came after, especially the first album. If you can't dig an album like From Beale Street to Oblivion, you'll probably never like them.

As for Five Horse Johnson, I think they're fantastic. They've got a lot more blues in their music than most of these so-called bluesy stoner rock bands. For instance...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Eh, that Five Horse wasn't too shabby. Checked out a few more tunes on Amazon. I'm don't think I'm ready to jump on board their bandwagon just yet, but I'll keep them in mind.

When I find a band/style that I like, I tend to try and find similair acts. After awhile, it all starts to sound a bit samey to me.

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 12:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

When I find a band/style that I like, I tend to try and find similair acts. After awhile, it all starts to sound a bit samey to me.

I usually consider myself lucky if I find 1 band out of 50 that clicks with me. There are a gazillion bands in every style out there, but I only have enough "room" in my collection for a selected few that really move me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 12:27 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I usually consider myself lucky if I find 1 band out of 50 that clicks with me. There are a gazillion bands in every style out there, but I only have enough "room" in my collection for a selected few that really move me.

That's why I try to be more selective these days. Doesn't always work out that way, but I'm making an effort.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Thank you eyesore for that Five Horse Johnson clip

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Someone hipped me to these guys tonight.

Love it!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:39 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
These guys sound promising...Monster Truck

Looks like they only have a 5 song ep out so far. The singer reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it yet.

Just found out the other day that you can download both of their ep's for free from their website if you're so inclined...

http://ilovemonstertruck.com/wordpress/?page_id=56

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Nice. Missed that before. Just ordered both EPs instead. =)

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Nice. Missed that before. Just ordered both EPs instead. =)

I was going to do that when I discovered the download. I figured I'll take 'em for a test spin first. I still might buy the ep's though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 1:12 am

Pretty cool video of The Hives doing a tune from their new album.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Some new bands I've been really diggin'.

Got some of their stuff on order. Waiting for it to arrive.

Download their demo here (click the down-arrow next to Last Ned, whatever that means)

A new experimental kind of album for these guys.

Local band. Used to be called Riff Cannon. Great stuff!

Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:22 am

Authentic, quality progressive rock from Sweden. Beardfish. Can't believe I didn't run across these guys before, I plan on picking up all their albums. New one coming next month.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:35 am

Yeah, man, Beardfish is fantastic. I don't have their very first few albums, but I do have the two Sleeping In Traffic albums, Destined Solitaire, and Mammoth. All four are outstanding. Believe it or not, there are some death-metal vocals on Destined Solitaire! Shocked me when I heard it. Haha.

Can't wait for The Void.
Back to top Go down

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:43 am

Yeah, I heard the little snippets of death metal vocals, very short punctuations, the singer has some personality and his sense of humor comes through. I also hear some Zappa mixed in here and there.

Great band and I think anyone who digs stuff like Gentle Giant would love them.

I checked them out because Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree raves about them.

"The Void" comes out August 28th (deluxe edition on Sep 4th)

Retro!  - Page 4 51ZTbs-bWhL._SL500_AA280_
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:38 am

That Beardfish sounds promising.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:37 am

Eyesore wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Been on a retro kick lately, discovering some new bands. Disappointed to find out Tia Carrera doesn't have Tia Carrere in the band. Haha
didn't she have her own band?
That's what I thought. But then I thought I was thinking about Wayne's World. Haha.

She does release CDs. Whether they sound like her band in WW, I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Retro!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Retro!
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next