Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The few things I actually don't like about retro!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

The few things I actually don't like about retro! Empty
PostSubject: The few things I actually don't like about retro!   The few things I actually don't like about retro! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 8:51 pm

I expect that I come across as someone who will buy any damn thing that reminds me of the 70's, but it's not true. Just for balance here are a few things about retro (all things that hearken back to the 70's including Stoner, Doom, Neo-hard rock etc.) that I'm not willing to buy anymore at this point.

1. American Dog- This sort of over-the-top humorous gutter rock just doesn't do it for me. As much as I liked The Godz that was about all I needed of this. Others that I give a meh to right now are Viking Skull, Ironboss, etc. I know Wargod loves Ironboss and I respect that, but I'm stopping with "Hung Like Horses" unless convinced otherwise.
2. Throttlerod- I find this straight ahead to the point of being bland. Others from a few years ago like this were Leadfoot, Loudmouth, Soulmotor, etc. Some might put Black Stone Cherry in that lot, but I do like them.
3. Graveyard- I tried to like them, but they are a little too "authentic" for me in that they capture a certain flavor of the early Scandinavian bands that hasn't aged very well IMO. Like the first couple from Jerusalem (the Christians) or Neon Rose, they have an unorthodoxy bordering on awkwardness that I just never warmed up to despite trying.
4. Doom with Ozzy-esque vocals. Too many bands just keep doing this. Alright, Sabbath with Ozzy was about my favorite band ever, so it worked for them and a few others (Witchfinder General, Pentagram, etc.); but at this point I'd really rather hear something a little different with my riffs. I can get past this if the riffs are just killer, but otherwise, no, I'm over it.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The few things I actually don't like about retro!   The few things I actually don't like about retro! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 9:00 pm

That's right Sahb you gotta cherry pick the best one's and move on. The one's that make you go wow, the one's that standout and have their own thing going on!

No use being a genre hag and surrounding yourself in a sea of 'okay' and 'meh', there's nothing more offensive than those bands that don't make you go either way but make you get them because they play a style of music you like.

That was something i learned early on, it can really burn you out......and hole's in your pocket.
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: The few things I actually don't like about retro!   The few things I actually don't like about retro! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 9:19 pm

SAHB, Have you heard The Golden Gods? Kinda like Grand Funk meets Foghat!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The few things I actually don't like about retro!   The few things I actually don't like about retro! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 9:43 pm

criss3o wrote:

It's pretty good. They've put some keyboards in the mix and the vocals are solid. I'd say it's more than just another beer swilling three piece.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The few things I actually don't like about retro!   The few things I actually don't like about retro! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 9:59 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
criss3o wrote:

It's pretty good. They've put some keyboards in the mix and the vocals are solid. I'd say it's more than just another beer swilling three piece.

I just checked them out, pretty good stuff. Like Humble Pie in starry teenage 70s American Rock n Roll/Cheap Trick/Kiss/Raspberries mode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The few things I actually don't like about retro!   The few things I actually don't like about retro! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The few things I actually don't like about retro!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: