Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the retro thrash revival over?

Go down 
+17
CRIMSONMASK
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Witchfinder
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Troublezone
Thrasher73
Required Fields
Boris2008
nevermore
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
Temple of Blood
John Madden
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

Is the retro thrash revival over? Empty
PostSubject: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm

With Vektor basically broken up, it got me thinking if the retro thrash is a thing of the past? These bands were the most well known/active-but they seem quiet lately:

Bonded By Blood-last full length album: The Aftermath-2012
Fueled By Fire-Trapped in Perdition-2013
Merciless Death-Taken Beyond-2015
Warbringer-Woe to the Vanquished-2017
Lazarus A.D.-Black Rivers Flow-2011
Avenger of Blood-On Slaying Grounds-2016
Hatred-Burning Wrath-2012
Toxic Holocaust-Chemistry of Consciousness-2013
Early Man-Thank God You've Got the Answers for Us All-2014
Tantara-Based on Evil-2012
Evile-Skull-2013
Demiricous-Two (Poverty)-2007
Exmortus-Ride Forth-2016

To be fair, a few singles have been released-but other than Warbringer and Power Trip, that revival scene seems to have died down-even the Gothenburg inspired stuff seems quiet, bands like Dew-Scented, The Haunting, Witchery etc. even though some have recent releases.
It just seems that about 11 years ago the scene was on fire-now things seem rather dead,Heavy Artillery Records are no more. Has the thrash revival run it's course?

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Nope.  There are still TONS of thrash albums coming out.  Your list are "old school" new school thrash metal bands.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 pm

I agree with temple of blood. The movement is still healthy imo. Personally, i am starting to get bored with all this retro syndrome, and care much less about those bands and their releases than i used to.

I find most of these bands to be a bit samey and repetitive.

Last edited by Gilbert on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:13 pm

Municipal Waste just put out a new one last year.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Look up new wave of thrash on youtube and there's plenty of bands. At this point i'm settled on Havok and Warbringer as far as following.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm not sure if Vektor are done. I think David DiSanto is just going to get replacements for the other guys who left.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:56 pm

I think it's better than it has been, more variety and fewer Exodus clones.

I've listened to and really enjoyed these recently and I'm sure there are a ton more, throw in more celebrated stuff like Power Trip and Terrifier and thrash is doing fine.

Maybe the 'trend' is over but thrash is like heavy metal, it will have times when it's more or less popular but it ain't going away ever!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Well, it's had a boom.

For many years, it was nearly impossible to find a new band that played thrash metal, or even a veteran band that still played it. Sure, many bands that are known best as thrash bands were still together, but they had deviated a long way from being full throttle thrash metal.

Then in the early 2000s, we had thrash start to make its comeback, with new bands finally coming out that embraced the classic thrash sound, and even some veteran bands either making a full blown return or utilizing more thrash metal elements.

Now, there seems to be less, but I don't think that it will ever have the lull it had from around 1993 until around 1999 or so again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 3:45 am

There's still plenty of newer bands playing thrash. It's just like anything else, there are highs and lows in the market. Some bands deviate from the sound and some keep it old school.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 4:26 am

Evile was the only "new wave of thrash" band I liked, and they have been very silent since Ol Drake left the band.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 6:21 am

I imagine it will keep chugging along. There are still plenty of bands out there. My favorite amongst them (that I've heard) is Havok.

Last edited by 007 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 7:51 am

Iron Reagan is still kicking much ass.

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 am

Havok released an album last year.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks for the great recommendations,team! I guess my thread title should have been more specific. There's great metal made everyday! What I was referring to was quite a few of the bands that initiated the 2000's brief resurgence have seem to lost steam.

Fred, I can't believe I forgot Municipal Waste, their Hazardous Mutation album turned me on to the whole scene in the first place!
                               Boom! Nice game, Mr.Foles Smile
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am

As something that's hot and hyped in the market it's been dead for years. The new traditional metal bands became the new hotness in 2009-2010 and that has continued unabated. Let us not forget that much hyped "occult" bands either - that trend fizzled out a couple of years ago. Thankfully, there's still plenty of new retro-thrash bands cranking out quality releases.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 am

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 10:30 am

https://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Punishment_18_Records/434

https://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Xtreem_Music/109

https://bandcamp.com/tag/thrash-metal

Metal-Archives lists 1163 thrash albums released in last 14 months.  Of course some of those are death-thrash or black-thrash, etc.

Not to mention that the old guard are pretty much all around (sans Slayer) playing some sort of thrash.  Even Sacred Reich and Exhorder are active again.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 11:55 am

I'm still anxiously awaiting the new Coroner and Dark Angel comeback albums!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 pm

I enjoyed that Gross Reality song, need to check out more.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 am

Here's one of my favorites from the new bands. They have a real strong Forbidden vibe, which is what I dig.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
I enjoyed that Gross Reality song, need to check out more.

Dude, they're a killer band...2 albums.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am

Been listening to a few songs, quite a bit of a Paradox sound which is great.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm

Anyone familiar with Rapture? I plan on picking up Paroxysm of Hatred real soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 am

The retro thrash revival is over me personally. The few bands that I initially liked haven't had much staying power. It was fun for awhile, but the novelty wore off. Good for the newer bands that are still sticking to their guns, but the trend is over for me.

When I'm in the mood for thrash, I'm either going back to the old chestnuts like the Big 4 or re-visiting 2nd and 3rd tier stuff from that era.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 am

The hype was driven by big labels and the audience gravitated to the wrong bands, for the most part. I'd be hard-pressed to name 10 retro thrash band songs that I enjoy, but I could probably do it.

Masquerader is brilliant technical thrash though. Like some of the best modern bands, they broke up too soon and got virtually no recognition.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the retro thrash revival over?   Is the retro thrash revival over? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the retro thrash revival over?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next