Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Retro Thrash bands.

Go down 
+19
Jedilink
/ELOHIYM
stormspell
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
SideShowDisaSter
XYZ
Stender
nevermore
powermacho
7thSecond
DeathCult
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
mc666
80smetalrocks
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
80smetalrocks
Metal student
Metal student
80smetalrocks

Number of posts : 101

Retro Thrash bands. Empty
PostSubject: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:50 am

Hi how would u compare the newer upcoming retro thrash/speed metal bands coming along to the 80s groups?Would u buy cds from a lot of them or just stick to the original bands from the 80s?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:14 am

the new guys don't compare to the feeling you got with the forefathers. however i can appreciate them as well, albeit in a different way.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 11:35 am

You have to take it on a case-by-case basis.

A lot of old "classics" are super-overrated and are only esteemed because of their nostalgic value.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 1:03 pm

I like a lot of the new bands cropping up. Their albums seem to be thrash for thrash sake with little focus on writing memorable songs, but that will come with time and band maturity. I haven't heard the new Warbringer yet, but have heard it's one of the best new thrash releases this year.

Ultimatum performed thrashageddon a few weeks ago with Avenger of Blood, Suspended, Merciless Death, Fueled by Fire and a few other thrash bands. I was disappointed that Merciless Death and Fueled by Fire didn't bother to watch the other bands perform, whereas Suspended and Avenger of Blood were front and center watching all the bands perform. That is a great attitude. I just hope the new bands don't start getting that rock star attitude.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:52 pm

mc666 wrote:
the new guys don't compare to the feeling you got with the forefathers. however i can appreciate them as well, albeit in a different way.

I feel about the same. Although, I agree with Ult about them not being too memorable, which is what turns me off about some of them. Another thing I miss about the days of old are distinct vocals too, some of these newer ones just sort of fade into nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Though I have found some good newer bands (Gamma Bomb, SSS, Evile, Municipal Waste, etc.), they just can't seem to hold a candle to the bands I grew up with and I find myself having a hard time being interested in them at all beyond just listening to their music. With the older bands I love reading interviews, articles, books etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:19 pm

I like some quite a bit but they don't have the history yet to make them really stand out.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Scott has it. The gus are good but there is not something memorable in their songs. I have the first Merciless death album and It was a big surprise when I bought it, but then It became a dust holder.

From all the new bands I think Warbringer have a future. I just saw them with Kreator and EXODUS and they where really good, even the singer from the band went to have a chat with us before the show, really down to eart guys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Other than Merciless Death and AOB, I haven't kept anything from the new crop of thrash bands.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Have you tried Municipal Waste? Warbringer?

I have a question for all you, would you consider Ultimatum one of the "new wave"? I don't because we've been around for so long, and we really aren't 100% pure thrash, but I've seen on other boards people referring to us as such.

ult

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:57 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I have a question for all you, would you consider Ultimatum one of the "new wave"?
ult

No way. You guys are almost veterans. Plus I don't think you guys have a "retro" sound. I see you as a mix of thrash and power metal (the old definition of power metal).
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:57 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I like some quite a bit but they don't have the history yet to make them really stand out.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:58 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Other than Merciless Death and AOB, I haven't kept anything from the new crop of thrash bands.

You should check out Adrenicide spec, they are new wave crossover thrash from britain.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:00 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
(the old definition of power metal).

I since I'm a young whippersnapper, could you inform me an the old definition and how it's different with today's?

I think I have an idea, but I'm not too sure.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Have you tried Municipal Waste? Warbringer?

I have a question for all you, would you consider Ultimatum one of the "new wave"? I don't because we've been around for so long, and we really aren't 100% pure thrash, but I've seen on other boards people referring to us as such.

ult

Scott, I don't consider Ultimatum that way either. You've been around longer than alot of the newer wave of thrash bands. But you guys seem to be gaining some momentum or more momentum popularity wise so you guys are the 10 year overnight sensation. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:03 pm

xyz wrote:

I since I'm a young whippersnapper, could you inform me an the old definition and how it's different with today's?

Power metal used to define bands like Omen, Metal Church, etc. Judas Priest and Maiden influenced stuff. Now it's used to describe Helloween, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, etc.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 8:39 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
xyz wrote:

Power metal used to define bands like Omen, Metal Church, etc. Judas Priest and Maiden influenced stuff. Now it's used to describe Helloween, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, etc.
I called them symphonic or melodic bands. Now days how could you call bands like metal church,helstar,grave digger, running wild?
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:16 pm

No way would I consider Ultimatum a part of the "new" wave of thrash bands. Considering you guys had a full-length out in '95... I'd only say bands after the turn of the century should be labelled so, if even that far back (since it's almost been a decade since THEN!).

I've always considered you guys power/thrash (as Brian said) like early Metal Church, etc. Most of the new bands are hitting for that old Bay Area sound, which is only a SMALL part of what you guys do.

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:51 pm

ultmetal wrote:
i never considered you thrash at all. maybe slightly influenced by it. you sound more like Metal Church to me.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:59 pm

mc666 wrote:

Same here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:32 pm

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
i never considered you thrash at all. maybe slightly influenced by it. you sound more like Metal Church to me.

Yes, I agree with you. I've always stated we are a heavy metal band. Reviewers and fans have said we are thrash. We do have a ton of thrash influences, but we equally have classic metal influences. So while we are at home recording a Vengeance or Testament song, we were just as easily at home recording an Iron Maiden song.

As for the new bands who would everyone say are the best of the best?

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Does Dekapitator count 'cause I really like them. Evile too.

I think Ultimatum is totally an old school power metal band which is why I want to hear how you handle Ton Of Bricks.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:45 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Does Dekapitator count 'cause I really like them. Evile too.

Of course!

Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 pm

both 1st & 2nd wave retro bands i like...

Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Skeleton Witch, Blood Tsunami, Demiricous, Dekapitator, Avenger of Blood, Merciless Death, Bonded by Blood, The Crown, Deathchain, Evile, Aura Noir, Bestial Holocaust, & Cripper.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Best of the best: VIOLATOR, ELIMINATOR, STRIKEMASTER, SUICIDAL ANGELS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retro Thrash bands.   Retro Thrash bands. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Retro Thrash bands.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next