Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

James Durbin on American Idol

Go down 
+17
MEGATRON
thejokeriv
Jessrox
chewie
bassman
Troublezone
Joe
manny
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
SpectreFate
tohostudios
Eyesore
MetalRob331
metalinmyveins
Wargod
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 9:58 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Just watched it on YT...gawd that was stupid. I wanted to punch that kid...out of key and his scream was like nails on a chalkboard. Like all he has to do to be Metal is wear a biker hat and scream...so fake.

Agreed. He managed to look gayer than Halford. That was pointless.

He did look "happier" than Halford.........
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37636

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 10:02 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Just watched it on YT...gawd that was stupid. I wanted to punch that kid...out of key and his scream was like nails on a chalkboard. Like all he has to do to be Metal is wear a biker hat and scream...so fake.

THANK YOU. I've been saying that to my co-workers all morning, they all seemed to think it was such an awesome performance and I'm like "Gimme a @#$%ing break, that squeaky punk isn't worthy to carry Halford's jock strap" Very Happy

MetalGuy71 wrote:
He managed to look gayer than Halford.

Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 10:23 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
that squeaky punk isn't worthy to carry Halford's jock strap" Very Happy

But probably would, just the same... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:04 pm

You guys are being way too hard on him.He done just fine I think.At least he's into metal and not some pop or country crap.He's got a killer voice.He'll get there just give him some time.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Durbin has a great voice, but it's not as versatile as some think. It doesn't fit a style like Judas Priest, if you ask me, which is why—coupled with the godawful guitar tone on show's like Idol—it didn't sound amazing.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:36 pm

Well, the problem as I see it, is that I could never see myself buying or otherwise supporting an American Idol contestant, rock, pop, country or otherwise.

It's like taking a short-cut to celebrity and I can't respect a performer like that. And even if he's going the hard rock/heavy metal route, it's going to be the corporate version of what they think "heavy metal" is. Just seeing the way he was dressed last night proved that. Hire a bunch of hit writers and producers to put out a over-produced, auto-tuned modern rock record, get a famous guitarist to lay down a solo or 2 to lend him some street cred and *boom*, you've got the last Ozzy album some disposable product to promote the next season of American Idol.

I'm not trying to sound all troo kvlt metal, but there are plenty of other singers and bands that are doing it the old school way and I respect that.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Well, the problem as I see it, is that I could never see myself buying or otherwise supporting an American Idol contestant, rock, pop, country or otherwise.

It's like taking a short-cut to celebrity and I can't respect a performer like that. And even if he's going the hard rock/heavy metal route, it's going to be the corporate version of what they think "heavy metal" is. Just seeing the way he was dressed last night proved that. Hire a bunch of hit writers and producers to put out a over-produced, auto-tuned modern rock record, get a famous guitarist to lay down a solo or 2 to lend him some street cred and *boom*, you've got the last Ozzy album some disposable product to promote the next season of American Idol.

I'm not trying to sound all troo kvlt metal, but there are plenty of other singers and bands that are doing it the old school way and I respect that.

headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Understood, but some of these people who are on this show have actually tried it the hard way. I know Chris Daughtry was doing it for like 10 years before Idol, having put out a couple albums and all that. Same with Bo Bice.

As for any album Durbin will put out, it'll be manufactured pop. Just like Bo Bice's first album. But have you heard Bice's albums after that first one? Surprisingly good. No corporate songwriters aiming for radio hits, just an Idol throwaway doing his own thing.

I still think this is the coolest thing I've ever seen on Idol:

headbanger
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 3:09 pm

I agree with both MG and exact, now James has not paid his dues like Daughtry (who I do not like) and Bo Bice (who I still think is a great artist who is underlooked). Bo Bice's first album was not bad but it followed the cookie cutter formula that other bands where doing at the time, when he was finally let go from his contract, he then played music that had nothing to do with your Matchbox 20's etc, of course his sales have plummeted.

I think James is very talented and has a hell of a range, I will give him a pass for yesterday's performance, I man the kid was performing with JUDAS "F**CKING" PRIEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

But MG has a point his lack of experience, and James is not a seasoned performer, he did not do any woodshedding in clubs or played to 2 paying customers, and IMO that kind of experince cements you as a performer, so yes he did job way ahead of most musicians.

One day I was watching the show with my 17 year old daughter, and she pointed out why Steven Tyler does not hammer the contestants when they give a terrible performance, I told her Tyler did not want to crush their dreams and that Tyler worked real hard to get where he is at, and then she asked me, shouldn't they also be made to pay their dues? She is MG's camp in her opinion in regards to this show.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Yeah, I remember when Bo Bice did that Badlands song on "Idol" - that was definitely out of the blue. I remember overhearing Seacrest introducing him (I think I was in the kitchen at the time) and when he said "Here he is, performing In a Dream by Badlands...) I stuck my head into the room and sez to my wife "Did he say Badlands? No sh*t? Wow." Haha.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 8:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Agreed. He managed to look gayer than Halford. That was pointless.

Yeah, Durbin was fruity. It was way too contrived with "the hat" and dramatic. His goofy scream in the beginning was weird and out of place too...
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Yeah, I remember when Bo Bice did that Badlands song on "Idol" - that was definitely out of the blue. I remember overhearing Seacrest introducing him (I think I was in the kitchen at the time) and when he said "Here he is, performing In a Dream by Badlands...) I stuck my head into the room and sez to my wife "Did he say Badlands? No sh*t? Wow." Haha.

I knew he was the real deal when he did that tune! He also did some Southern Rock super group thing(Brothers of the Southland) that I still don't know got officially released.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:01 am

Chris Daughtry tried the Christian Rock route prior to Idol...he played Christian clubs and churches and stuff.

Bo Bice is a good singer.

This James kid just seemed so, so fake and "put together"...that scream he kept falling back on is annoying.

The irony of having those super huge names associated with Idol, Bono, Tyler, Halford, etc is that we all know that there is NO WAY any of those guys would have even made it to the competition rounds of this show...it's such pandering bull$h!+.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:06 am

Carrie Underwood is still the best thing to come out of the "American Idol" factory in my book. Such a great set of.... lungs.

James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Topnews

James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Carrie-underwood-bodyimage

*SIGH*

...have I mentioned lately that I'm extremely shallow?

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:17 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Chris Daughtry tried the Christian Rock route prior to Idol...he played Christian clubs and churches and stuff.

Bo Bice is a good singer.

This James kid just seemed so, so fake and "put together"...that scream he kept falling back on is annoying.

The irony of having those super huge names associated with Idol, Bono, Tyler, Halford, etc is that we all know that there is NO WAY any of those guys would have even made it to the competition rounds of this show...it's such pandering bull$h!+.

That is true Shawn, neither would have some of my other heroes Bon Scott, Jim Morrison, Bruce Dickinson, and list goes on and on and on...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:25 am

We talk about this at work. Most rock vocalists wouldn't make it on AI. About the only ones I can think of that would are Freddie Mercury (with his versatility, he'd win), Paul Rodgers, DC Cooper or David Readman.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:26 am

Neil Young anyone?????? Definitely not a good singer, but a damn good songwriter who wouldn't have made it through the local auditions.

Last edited by chewie on Fri May 27, 2011 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Carrie Underwood is still the best thing to come out of the "American Idol" factory in my book. Such a great set of.... lungs.

James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Topnews

James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Carrie-underwood-bodyimage

*SIGH*

...have I mentioned lately that I'm extremely shallow?
I wouldn't mind her under my wood.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 6:09 pm

God do we like to bash an artist trying to promote a music genre that america see's as evil and has no place to be heard by the most of the general public.

Give him credit for allowing Idol the chance to get metal out to the masses.
I would think most metalheads here would love to see our genre get more airplay or would you have your kids hip hip, cunrty, or rap crap.

I mean he had Zakk & Judas Priest on Idol did those other aforementioned artist before James have anyone like them on the show?

Now keep bashing if it makes you feel good!

Wargod52
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
God do we like to bash an artist trying to promote a music genre that america see's as evil and has no place to be heard by the most of the general public.

I would think most metalheads here would love to see our genre get more airplay or would you have your kids hip hip, cunrty, or rap crap.

I mean he had Zakk & Judas Priest on Idol did those other aforementioned artist before James have anyone like them on the show?

Wargod52

I'm not bashing. While I agree James got "screechy" at times, I like that he brought "metal" to the show and I have no doubt that he'll end up in some metal band somewhere. With a little more restraint, I think the guy could be a great metal vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:00 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod52

I'm not bashing. While I agree James got "screechy" at times, I like that he brought "metal" to the show and I have no doubt that he'll end up in some metal band somewhere. With a little more restraint, I think the guy could be a great metal vocalist.
He needs to spend some time with a vocal coach, one that can teach him some control. Sometimes it gets away from him, especially in the quieter moments where it seemed like he would struggle holding back the power, you know.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod52

He needs to spend some time with a vocal coach, one that can teach him some control. Sometimes it gets away from him, especially in the quieter moments where it seemed like he would struggle holding back the power, you know.

Exactly. I see the potential but he needs some coaching.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin on American Idol   James Durbin on American Idol - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James Durbin on American Idol
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4