Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

James Durbin American Idol

Go down 
+15
Thrasher73
Joe
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Wargod
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
A Handful of Wayne
metalinmyveins
manny
chewie
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
JBall_Z
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

James Durbin American Idol Empty
PostSubject: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 pm

I haven't watched American Idol this season because I 've been working second shift, but my daughter told me contestant James Durbin sang "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" by Judas Priest. I checked out the Youtube video and was pleasantly surprized.

It's about time someone introduced true heavy metal to the American Idol fans. If T.V. is the new radio, this could be a good thing for bands like Priest and their album sales.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Heard about this last night -- unfortunately I didn't see it (even tho my wife was watching the show) cuz I was out walking the dog at the time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 12:18 pm

The vocals were outstanding but because it was the Idol "house band", I thought the instrumentation was karaoke. Not the singer's fault though.

I thought Steven Tyler was gonna have an attack; he was so excited. In his critique he said something like, "Dude that was F'n crazy good! You're the first person to sing a Judas Priest song on American Idol."

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Here ya go folks...

Respectable enough I suppose. I'll just goof on his giant satellite dish ears instead.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Here ya go folks...

Respectable enough I suppose. I'll just goof on his giant satellite dish ears instead.

James Durbin American Idol Baby_new_year

THOSE EARS!!!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 12:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The vocals were outstanding but because it was the Idol "house band", I thought the instrumentation was karaoke. Not the singer's fault though.

I thought Steven Tyler was gonna have an attack; he was so excited. In his critique he said something like, "Dude that was F'n crazy good! You're the first person to sing a Judas Priest song on American Idol."

100% agree the band was horrid but he did a good job and Tyler was excitied, the other kid did a Doors song and I hated that version sounded more like cocktail music then Doors music.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 pm

....teenyboppers around this land of ours race to their computers to download "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" which in turn spikes the sale of ONE Judas Priest song. Welcome to the world of "American Idol" and "Glee" watchers...

...he did do a pretty good job, especially at hitting the high notes, and yes the band sucked.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:11 pm

manny wrote:
the other kid did a Doors song and I hated that version sounded more like cocktail music then Doors music.

The guy who looks like Carrot Top, right? That's who was on when I came back from walking the dog. I was like, "Dude, Geddy Lee called, he wants his '80s singing voice back" Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:
the other kid did a Doors song and I hated that version sounded more like cocktail music then Doors music.

The guy who looks like Carrot Top, right? That's who was on when I came back from walking the dog. I was like, "Dude, Geddy Lee called, he wants his '80s singing voice back" Laughing

lol! and his face.

I actually sat through the whole show last night. There are some good people but nothing that blew me away. The guy that was last was pretty good. Some people just make wierd choices for songs and some just sing things way too over the top for me that I can't help but laugh.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm

I think Judas Priest guy screwed up the lyrics... isn't it "Taking flight, I said I'll never give it up?" He sang it as "taking time."

Yeah, I know, probably only the over-40 metal geeks noticed, but still...

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 1:49 pm

I saw a clip of him hitting the high note on the news this morning and I thought he sounded like smurf poo...

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 2:17 pm

I bet Halford would like him, really !

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Awesome, Durbin barely made the top 12 for guys but hey he did an outstanding job.

Just don't want the back stabber Jun bug to make it to far. That dude has issues with other contestants before he made the top 12. He is out for himself and no one else.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:57 pm

He did a good job on the vocals, but as mentioned the house band sucked donkey d***s
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

Yes that guy!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!! At least I now know what the Doors would sound like if Little Orphan Annie fronted the band.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Ugh! I hate that show. I'm an Aerosmith fanatic and watched about 15 minutes of the show to see Tyler. After that, I had to turn it off. Clone pop and country singers just aren't my thing. Any singer with a hint of charisma, style, etc. is given walking papers. Steven Tyler himself never would have made it past the first round. As a matter of fact, many of the worlds most well known and respected singers wouldn't make it on that show.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 7:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Ugh! I hate that show. I'm an Aerosmith fanatic and watched about 15 minutes of the show to see Tyler. After that, I had to turn it off. Clone pop and country singers just aren't my thing. Any singer with a hint of charisma, style, etc. is given walking papers. Steven Tyler himself never would have made it past the first round. As a matter of fact, many of the worlds most well known and respected singers wouldn't make it on that show.

I get that. Most "metalheads" love to diss American Idol. But how about a critique of the guy's actual vocals? Try to set the tepid performance by the band aside and just evaluate the vocal.

Personally, while most of the AI singers produce musical pablum I'd never, ever buy, this year there are quite a few who's vocal talents I can actually appreciate; even though I'd still never buy their albums. Like the deep-voiced, traditional country guy. No way I'd ever buy a CD of that music but I still recognize his vocal talent.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 8:31 pm

tohostudios wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I get that. Most "metalheads" love to diss American Idol. But how about a critique of the guy's actual vocals? Try to set the tepid performance by the band aside and just evaluate the vocal.

Personally, while most of the AI singers produce musical pablum I'd never, ever buy, this year there are quite a few who's vocal talents I can actually appreciate; even though I'd still never buy their albums. Like the deep-voiced, traditional country guy. No way I'd ever buy a CD of that music but I still recognize his vocal talent.

Well put, toho! I thought Durbin did a great job. Dude has Aspburgers (sp?) and tourettes, so that was impressive. I watch this show with the wifey, so rather than hating on it, I try to be objective. There have been some singers with talent on this show, but yeah, I would never buy one of their albums either.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 8:46 pm

Joe wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Well put, toho! I thought Durbin did a great job. Dude has Aspburgers (sp?) and tourettes, so that was impressive. I watch this show with the wifey, so rather than hating on it, I try to be objective. There have been some singers with talent on this show, but yeah, I would never buy one of their albums either.

It's aspergers syndrome....Wow, you wouldn't know it, but then again, I only watched the clip of him from last night's show. I've worked with students who have had both aspergers and tourettes. Aspberger's syndrome is a type of autism. People have difficulty with social interaction.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 pm

tohostudios wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

It's not a diss. I just don't like it so I have no desire to watch it.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:08 pm

I am surprised AI hasn't bunched a foursome or fivesome of male "talent" together to market a new "boy band" ? I thought of that years ago and figured it would make some quick cash for the company.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 pm

James B. wrote:
I am surprised AI hasn't bunched a foursome or fivesome of male "talent" together to market a new "boy band" ? I thought of that years ago and figured it would make some quick cash for the company.

They kinda-sorta do that with the American Idol's Live tour that rolls through towns after the show is over. They basically gather up all the finalists and send them out on tour. Somewhat the same concept as a boy-band. They'll perform songs together and whatnot. I think they release live albums and dvd's as well, but I'm not certain. I see what you're saying though. Anything they can do to wring an extra drop of milk outta that AI teat.

I personally couldn't stand more than 30 seconds of that crapolla, but the live concert seems to do pretty well in my town.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:37 pm

I'll cop to watching "AI" occasionally -- my wife is a big fan, she watches it religiously every year. Thankfully, her fandom is limited to merely watching the show, i.e. she doesn't go nuts buying up the various albums, DVDs, she has no interest in seeing the "Idol" tours, etc.

I enjoy the first few weeks of the season when they show the judges going round to various cities for the open "cattle call" auditions. That's when all the delusional MF'ers who think they have talent come crawlin' out of the woodwork, and the resulting train wrecks are hilarious.

Once they whittle everybody down to the top 15 or top 10 or whatever and the actual "competition" begins, I lose interest unless one of said top 15 is a hot chick. (remember Carrie Underwood? Meow-za!) I haven't seen enough of this year's female contestants to decide if any of them are hot enough to keep me watching for the rest of the run. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:05 pm

I dont watch the show,I've seen a few episodes over the last few years.That being said,this guy has a pretty good voice.Its good to see someone do a metal song on there.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 2:20 pm

Quote :
Most "metalheads" love to diss American Idol. But how about a critique of the guy's actual vocals?

I thought he sounded out of his element and when he went for that high note at the end I was embarrassed for him.

PostSubject: Re: James Durbin American Idol   James Durbin American Idol Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James Durbin American Idol
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next