Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!

Go down 
+35
exact33
MoonChild
DeathCult
CountKarnstein
skullkrusher
stepcousin
bgast1
Troublezone
Louder
Mglaffas81
Gilbert
Leatherface
bassman
Joe
HamburgerBoy
firestarter
Stender
Ben Grimm
adrian
nevermore
GrandNational
Thrasher73
Lurideath
A Handful of Wayne
James B.
Waylon
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Fat Freddy
Olafsto
manny
thejokeriv
mc666
ultmetal
39 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Choose! The Thrash Metal Crown 1988...
Anthrax - State of Euphoria
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Coroner - Punishment For Decadence
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap2%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Death Angel - Frolic through the Park
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap2%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap12%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 7 ]
Kreator - Out Of The Dark (EP)
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Megadeth - So Far, So Good... So What!
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap5%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 3 ]
Metallica - ...And Justice for All
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap18%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 18% [ 10 ]
Nuclear Assault - Survive
 2% [ 1 ]
Overkill - Under the Influence
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap12%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 12% [ 7 ]
Razor - Violent Restitution
 2% [ 1 ]
Slayer - South of Heaven
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap18%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 18% [ 10 ]
Testament - The New Order
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap11%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 6 ]
Vengeance (Rising) - Human Sacrifice
 12% [ 7 ]
Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare
1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_lcap4%1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Voivod - Dimension Hatröss
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 57

AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Were they as big as Sacred Reich?

Not at all.

I was 99% sure SR was bigger... but i just threw it out there because i don't know what level VR was on (in their prime).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 9:26 pm

As far as Christian thrash exposure, I remember Deliverance getting some airtime on Headbanger's Ball with their Weapons video. I even heard that Lars Ulrich commented that he liked them.
Back to top Go down
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 am

I am surprised to see my pick Forbidden getting so much Love! Yeah! headbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 10:15 am

Quote :
No, it's a fact. Intense Records was an independent record company distributed by Medussa/Enigma. Then Intense Records was sold to Frontline with distribution through the Diamante Music Group. With "Human Sacrifice" the band saw excellent sales from the regular record stores until suddenly after the first pressing of the record, the album was now only available at Christian bookstores. Frontline only advertised the band in Christian publications. It's exactly what the band DIDN'T want.

Well in that case, then yes, it is the record labels fault. If they had decent sales for their 1st release, it would've made sense to keep pushing them into the mainstream market. But if the Frontline company only dealt with Christian publications, they were missing out.

In that 13-15 year span that I mentioned, I never heard of "Christian Metal" outside of 1 band. One. If you're selling an item to folks that purchase said item on a regular basis and they haven't heard of your product in 13 years, that's a pretty piss-poor marketing strategy.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:39 pm

That's the Christian rock subculture for ya! Luckily most metal/hard rock bands of faith have learned from those mistakes. Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) is the only ones that still pander only to Christians dispite the fact that they claim to be reaching people.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 7:34 pm

I didn't realize it until the new poll was put up, but Destruction's RELEASE FROM AGONY was left off this poll. I'm not sure how much it would have changed the poll results other than my vote. I would have picked that instead of SOUTH OF HEAVEN. However, that would have put SOH in a tie with AJFA, so I guess it works out for the best! Razz
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Joe wrote:
I didn't realize it until the new poll was put up, but Destruction's RELEASE FROM AGONY was left off this poll. I'm not sure how much it would have changed the poll results other than my vote. I would have picked that instead of SOUTH OF HEAVEN. However, that would have put SOH in a tie with AJFA, so I guess it works out for the best! Razz
I probably would have considered voting for it as well, I love Release From Agony!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 1:34 pm

I SHOULD really vote for "And Justice For All" as it was the album for me that I played more than any other during my senior year of high school, BUT, I'm going to go with OverKill's "Under the Influence". "Taking Over" was my first experience with the band, but when I saw "Hello From the Gutter" on Headbangers Ball, the video made me want to go out and purchase the album that next day. I remember having some friends who were sort of down on Slayer and "South of Heaven", probably since it wasn't quite as thrashy as their last effort, but "South of Heaven" was the album for me that more or less sparked more of an interest for me in the band. "So Far, So Good, So What" was initially hit or miss for me, regarding the tracks. I loved songs like "In My Darkest Hour", "Hook In Mouth" & "Set the World Afire", but I was as game on many of the other tracks. I appreciate the album as a whole now, but back in the day, I perceived it as a far cry from the greatness that was "Peace Sells".

1. OverKill - Under the Influence
2. Metallica - And Justice For All
3. Slayer - South of Heaven
4. Megadeth - So Far, So Good, So What
5. Death Angel - Frolic Through the Park
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 1:38 pm

I think the zero votes for "State of Euphoria" says a lot. Regarding the thrash scene, I think this album in particular was a colossal disappointment for the decade. Maybe Anthrax is to blame, as they couldn't possible follow up the greatness that was "Among the Living".
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 6:18 pm

^It's definitely the worst of the Belladonna albums. I don't hate it, but I can understand why some people might. Scott Ian even said that that album was a rush job. "Be All, End All" is one of my favorite Anthrax songs, though. My favorite album from this year is Slayer's "South of Heaven", although I also love Morbid Saint's "Spectrum of Death", Nuclear Assault's "Survive", Destruction's "Release From Agony", etc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
I think the zero votes for "State of Euphoria" says a lot. Regarding the thrash scene, I think this album in particular was a colossal disappointment for the decade. Maybe Anthrax is to blame, as they couldn't possible follow up the greatness that was "Among the Living".

I coulda shoulda voted for State of Euphoria. I flipped a coin between that one and Megadeth. If I would have known now how the voting woulda played out, I'd given it my vote. Whether it holds up to others standards, I have such fond memories of that album from my high school Senior Week and beyond. I played the f**k outta that tape.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 am

STATE OF EUPHORIA seemed like a rush job even when it was new. Other than "Be All, End All" and "Who Cares Wins," the rest of the album did nothin' for me. I remember being very disappointed with that one back in the day, especially since I'd been listening to AMONG THE LIVING practically every day for a year prior to its release and had very high hopes for the new one.

Maybe it's me, but I feel that Anthrax never fully recovered from that album. It seriously stunted their forward motion. If they'd been given more time in the studio (or had been allowed to skip that one entirely so that PERSISTENCE OF TIME had been their next release), who knows, they might have had a better time of it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 am

I think I agree on State Of Euphoria. I have completed my early Anthrax collection (minus the latter EPs-I have the first one with Joey-came in a double CD with Fistful Of Metal) and SoE is certainly the one that sticks out like a sore thumb. Not that bad but compared to the others, not that good either.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 am

The more I think about it, State of Euphoria may have been my introduction to the band. I was just beginning my journey into hard rock and heavy metal around that time, so theres that factor too. 'Anti Social' was our rally cry. (yes, I know it's a cover tune, so what)
I dunno. I just always loved that album. 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 436688

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:29 am

STATE OF EUPHORIA is also guilty of having one of the worst album covers ever.

1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 913

I mean, seriously. Ugh.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:30 am

1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 19976

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
STATE OF EUPHORIA seemed like a rush job even when it was new. Other than "Be All, End All" and "Who Cares Wins," the rest of the album did nothin' for me. I remember being very disappointed with that one back in the day, especially since I'd been listening to AMONG THE LIVING practically every day for a year prior to its release and had very high hopes for the new one.

Maybe it's me, but I feel that Anthrax never fully recovered from that album. It seriously stunted their forward motion. If they'd been given more time in the studio (or had been allowed to skip that one entirely so that PERSISTENCE OF TIME had been their next release), who knows, they might have had a better time of it.

I think for the most part this is the general consensus regarding this album. I'm not saying everybody hates this album, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that this album is Anthrax's best or even in the top three or four for that matter. I don't think the band helped themselves either by going away from a type of street wise mentality look to that of "Hey dude let's all wear shorts so that we can be taken less seriously". I hate to say it, but I thought that type of vibe was a calculated error on their part. It was like they were taking a punk mentality and running with that idea. Well, the only problem is, when you travel down that road, I think it not only affected their sense of style (looks wise), but also their music stylistically.

At the end of the day, I LIKE (not love) probably three to four songs on that album:

In order (Be All, End All, Now It's Dark, Anti-Social, & I guess Make Me Laugh).
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 4:10 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
SoE is certainly the one that sticks out like a sore thumb. Not that bad but compared to the others, not that good either.

I couldn't have said that better myself. Although I'd also like to add that it was not that good compared to lots of other thrash albums released in '88. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!   1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1988 THRASH METAL! Mosh it Up!
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5