Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.

Go down 
+26
nevermore
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Jesusandmetal23
Troublezone
James B.
Wargod
DeathCult
romeolimagolf
DallasBlack
bassman
kmorg
Gilbert
Rex
Mglaffas81
Olafsto
exact33
Joe
Temple of Blood
Lari
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
Smindas
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:31 am

DeathCult wrote:
I've never actually really listened to IE

This is me, I purchased the Athens DVD and turned it off after a few tunes and gave it to a kid I was teaching drums to at the time.

I can say this though. You rarely ever see thier product in the used bins Which kinda.sorta says something.

As for Ken saying about reading a book while listening to music. That is how I did my homework in my schooldaze. Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden, ect ect with headphones on. I had a 3.6 GPA and still ended up pretty much a dumb @$$ Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
Just curious is Matt gonna record the new cd and then leave or leave before? I'd like to see him record the new cd before he left.

Wargod51

I think he is just playing some shows and then leaving.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:
Just curious is Matt gonna record the new cd and then leave or leave before? I'd like to see him record the new cd before he left.

Wargod51

I think he is just playing some shows and then leaving.

thats the way i read it too...

Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Eyesore wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:
Never heard that band but his voice would be great in Iced Earth.
They were awesome! Those songs came from a demo EP called Winter is Coming. They had one full-length, The Veil of Summer, after that, which was even better.

They're no more, though. The singer is now in Lorenguard (http://www.myspace.com/lorenguard). He's probably too young for them, though. Like mid-twenties too young, you know.

Winterfell was some good stuff. I have the WINTER IS COMING EP, and THE VEIL OF SUMMER.

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I still think this guy would be a good fit.

Does he have the range Barlow had? I think that's important.

It's been awhile since he recorded those two albums and he claims his voice has gotten better since then. He used to contribute on his band's forum as well as an Iced Earth fan forum. As Eyesore said though, he's probably too young for IE.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm

Joe wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:
Never heard that band but his voice would be great in Iced Earth.
They were awesome! Those songs came from a demo EP called Winter is Coming. They had one full-length, The Veil of Summer, after that, which was even better.

They're no more, though. The singer is now in Lorenguard (http://www.myspace.com/lorenguard). He's probably too young for them, though. Like mid-twenties too young, you know.

Winterfell was some good stuff. I have the WINTER IS COMING EP, and THE VEIL OF SUMMER.

Temple of Blood wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I still think this guy would be a good fit.

Does he have the range Barlow had? I think that's important.

It's been awhile since he recorded those two albums and he claims his voice has gotten better since then. He used to contribute on his band's forum as well as an Iced Earth fan forum. As Eyesore said though, he's probably too young for IE.

He hits some highs at the beginning and end this song. They're more King Diamond than Barlow, though.

And what an awkward intro riff.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 7:02 pm

His highs sound better than Barlow!

He's a lot better than his band ...
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Though, you should check out THE VEIL OF SUMMER. It is alot better than the EP. I can't get into his new band Lorenguard. A little too much medieval cheese for me.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 am

Maybe it's just time for IE to call it a day. Barlow was the best fit for the band...

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 1:45 am

Troublezone wrote:
Maybe it's just time for IE to call it a day. Barlow was the best fit for the band...
Maybe it's time you quit your job and go work at Burger King.

(Not singling you out.)

That's pretty much what you guys are asking when you suggest bands pack it in. It's pretty silly. You're suggesting people give up their livelihood, the one thing that pays their bills, feeds their family. It makes no sense.

Like I said earlier in this thread, when you feel the need to suggest such a thing, it's not time for the band to quit, it's time time for you stop listening to the band.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:06 am

Fair point, actually. I've never really thought of it like that with regards to IE.

As for the Winterfell guy, I've always thought his Barlow-esque croon was pretty good, but he rarely seems to get to the lows that Matt does. Also, is there that much point in having a carbon-copy singer as replacement? Might as well take the opportunity to try something new.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:20 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

(Not singling you out.)

That's pretty much what you guys are asking when you suggest bands pack it in. It's pretty silly. You're suggesting people give up their livelihood, the one thing that pays their bills, feeds their family. It makes no sense.

Like I said earlier in this thread, when you feel the need to suggest such a thing, it's not time for the band to quit, it's time time for you stop listening to the band.

I can see what you're saying...
But do you think many bands are making a living these days? With the exception of a select few (Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden)etc... i'm not so sure.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 am

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

(Not singling you out.)

I can see what you're saying...
But do you think many bands are making a living these days? With the exception of a select few (Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden)etc... i'm not so sure.
Many still are, yeah. They're making the average American yearly wage, which is probably around $50,000 a year or less. And even they can't sustain themselves on that alone, I'm sure it's some income.

And typically a lot of these bands make a lot more money overseas than in the US. Some bands tour exclusively overseas because the market here sucks.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:48 am

Quote :
And typically a lot of these bands make a lot more money overseas than in the US. Some bands tour exclusively overseas because the market here sucks.

The cost of travel and to gamble that there is a festival/promoter willing to pay you a good wage and not take a cut of the merch profits is a bit risky. I'm sure they do make some money but do they make a profit or break even? Even the europeans are recovering from financial hardship...

Doesn't Jon own a history/antique store on the side? If so that's probably what pays more than half the bills.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:03 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

The cost of travel and to gamble that there is a festival/promoter willing to pay you a good wage and not take a cut of the merch profits is a bit risky. I'm sure they do make some money but do they make a profit or break even? Even the europeans are recovering from financial hardship...

Doesn't Jon own a history/antique store on the side? If so that's probably what pays more than half the bills.
They have contracts, dude. Haha. It's not like someone just goes, "Hey, come on over...we'll give you money and some beer...or something. It'll be fun!"

Money can be made from music. It's not as dire as some people claim. It's not as good as it once was of course, but business-savvy musicians make it happen. The business model has changed.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:09 am

Quote :
They have contracts, dude. Haha. It's not like someone just goes, "Hey, come on over...we'll give you money and some beer...or something. It'll be fun!"

Do you think that all the contracts are gonna be in their favor? The festival organizers are in it to win. They throw out an offer knowing that a band can take it or wait (who knows how long) for an ideal package. I'm sure IE makes a killing in Greece though! Razz
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 8:06 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Thats a good thought! That never crossed my mind!

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:37 am

exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

He meant Wendys.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:12 am

Smindas wrote:
As for the Winterfell guy, I've always thought his Barlow-esque croon was pretty good, but he rarely seems to get to the lows that Matt does. Also, is there that much point in having a carbon-copy singer as replacement? Might as well take the opportunity to try something new.

I doubt dude is even being considered, but I hardly consider him to be a "clone" of Barlow. Maybe some of his lows resemble Barlow, but you're right, he can't get as low as Matt. At the same time, IMO I think his highs are better than Matts. He certainly could handle IE's material. That was my problem with Ripper in IE, I didn't think he was suited to sing all of IE's songs.

As for the whole quit/retire thing, I don't understand how people can say he should do this, but then suggest he work on Sons of Liberty or Demons & Wizards. For the most part he is writing the material for both of those projects as well. So, I don't think he's completely lost it. As Eyesore stated before, he was probably a little too ambitious with the last two releases. I'm definitely looking forward to see what he can come up with this time around. I enjoyed BRUSH-FIRES OF THE MIND, so we'll see.

Last edited by Joe on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 am

Eyesore wrote:
Money can be made from music. It's not as dire as some people claim.

Yes it is.

There is no "business model" for metal music anymore.

You can make peanuts, but a metal band who did not make its name in the 90s cannot earn enough for all its band members to live off of.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Troublezone wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

He meant Wendys.

Oh no he didnt - Eyesore means what he means!!

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 2:16 pm

exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Joe wrote:
I doubt dude is even being considered, but I hardly consider him to be a "clone" of Barlow. Maybe some of his lows resemble Barlow, but you're right, he can't get as low as Matt. At the same time, IMO I think his highs are better than Matts. He certainly could handle IE's material. That was my problem with Ripper in IE, I didn't think he was suited to sing all of IE's songs.
Yeah, I shouldn't have used a term like "carbon-copy", but my point was they're quite similar sounding. At least Ripper was an interesting change.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Smindas wrote:
Joe wrote:
Yeah, I shouldn't have used a term like "carbon-copy", but my point was they're quite similar sounding. At least Ripper was an interesting change.
Yeah, they need someone in a mid-range that can low and high. Matt could do the highs, but they were clearly not in his comfort zone; and Tim couldn't get as low as Matt.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 3:02 am

exact33 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

He meant Wendys.

Oh no he didnt - Eyesore means what he means!!

I know... i just wanted to mess with you cuz you like BK so much!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next