Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!

Go down 
+18
MetalRob331
kmorg
caniplaywithmadness?
Thrasher73
mez
Jedilink
DallasBlack
mc666
journeyman
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
exact33
Troublezone
Wargod
romeolimagolf
ultmetal
Chairman_Smith
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Empty
PostSubject: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:08 pm

ICED EARTH's Jon Schaffer has issued the following announcement:

"Hello dear friends!

"Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

"While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal ICED EARTH fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in ICED EARTH's history.

"When I heard several months ago that Matt [Barlow] was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn't act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn't seem realistic.

"Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to ICED EARTH and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

"Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the 'Something Wicked' concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of ICED EARTH shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we’ve all been waiting for.

"I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt's presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

"You true fans know that I'm a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for ICED EARTH. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

"Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

"There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn't be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt's family in early 2008!

"I am very happy to announce that ICED EARTH is truly BACK!"
http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth....wsitemID=86574
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:11 pm

Wow ! That's really cool news. I guess Owens is going back to Winter's Bane ?
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:12 pm

007 wrote:
Wow ! That's really cool news. I guess Owens is going back to Winter's Bane ?

Since I read that on here awhile ago, he probably knew he was getting the boot for awhile.

Still, file this article under "Where the hell did that come from?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:17 pm

WOW. That really came out of nowhere. I like Tim Owens and I like Matt Barlow so I am not sure how to feel, had just gotten to used to Owens being in the band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:19 pm

Wait...WHAT? I didn't read that whole thing because I just had to post this:

WTF?!?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:21 pm

Eyesore wrote:

WTF?!?!?!?!

I know man!, I'm shocked!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:23 pm

Again...WTF? This is both awesome and ridiculously annoying at the same time!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:24 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

WTF?!?!?!?!
I know man!, I'm shocked!
Dude, I thought you were messing with us. I was like, "Well...it ain't April 1st, so Jon must be drunk..." Maybe he was drunk. This is insane.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:30 pm

Is it April 1st already?

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Seriously. Like I wrote in the Winter's Bane thread, I never thought Ripper would stay in Iced Earth. I figured he would quit after Something Wicked part 2. In all his interviews he seems more excited about his other projects than Iced Earth, where he always kind of spoke of it as Jon's thing. I just got a sense that the guy wanted something to call his own. Understandable.

But him leaving or Jon firing him before Something Wicked part 2 just seems ridiculous. It's a damn concept album! You don't switch vocalists in the middle of a frickin' concept album. Not only that, Iced Earth is not Pyramaze; they're a touring band, and touring is exactly what Matt didn't want to do anymore. He wanted stability for his family. Can IE give him that now?

So did Owens quit or did Jon ice him? I wonder. Also, the more I think about it, this whole thing seems nuts. Is it April 1st? Did some crazy metalhead hacker hack into icedearth.com?

Last edited by on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:40 pm

I don't know what to say. I'm at a loss for words. I was just enjoying Tim's presence in the band. Anyway ...

I've always loved Matt more so ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:42 pm

blackieboy wrote:
I don't know what to say. I'm at a loss for words. I was just enjoying Tim's presence in the band. Anyway ...

Yeah, but now we'll have a concept album with two singers. Stupid! Matt and Tim are two completely different singers. Are they going to re-record part 1 with Matt? It will sound stupid if they don't.

This had better be a hoax. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

Yeah, but now we'll have a concept album with two singers. Stupid! Matt and Tim are two completely different singers. Are they going to re-record part 1 with Matt? It will sound stupid if they don't.

This had better be a hoax. Laughing

Both Waters and Gilmour sang on The Wall :p

Yeah I know thats not what you meant
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:45 pm

Maybe Tim and Jon did not get along?
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:46 pm

blackieboy wrote:
Maybe Tim and Jon did not get along?

I think Tim has a curse, he always follows a high successful vocalist and gets booted right away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:49 pm

Well, Tim has his own band, Beyond Fear anyway. He'll probably focus more on that now.
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:49 pm

About the touring thing, I wonder if John is going to reduce the touring schedule of Iced Earth now that he is a new father. He just had a daughter recenty didn't he? That may have been part of the deal to get Matt back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 6:58 pm

But Matt is a cop. He can't even do small tours. He can do one-off festival dates and whatnot. And what about Pyramaze? Is that over, too? How can he do shows with both Pyramaze and Iced Earth?

And if this is true, Matt needs to re-record vocals for Something Wicked part 1. You just can't have two singers of such different styles singing on what is essentially one album. Part 1 with Tim can be a stand alone album, but if you're going to put part 2 out there with Matt, you have to have part 1 available with him singing as well. It's the only thing that makes sense.

I guess Tim is joining Winter's Bane, huh? Haha.
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:05 pm

Just as John had Tim re-record the original trilogy for the sake of continuity, if this turns out to be real (I am still having doubts. I just can't believe it), I have no doubt that John will eventually go back and have Matt re-record the vocals to part one.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:12 pm

As the world turns!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:38 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Seriously. Like I wrote in the Winter's Bane thread, I never thought Ripper would stay in Iced Earth. I figured he would quit after Something Wicked part 2. In all his interviews he seems more excited about his other projects than Iced Earth, where he always kind of spoke of it as Jon's thing. I just got a sense that the guy wanted something to call his own. Understandable.

But him leaving or Jon firing him before Something Wicked part 2 just seems ridiculous. It's a damn concept album! You don't switch vocalists in the middle of a frickin' concept album. Not only that, Iced Earth is not Pyramaze; they're a touring band, and touring is exactly what Matt didn't want to do anymore. He wanted stability for his family. Can IE give him that now?

So did Owens quit or did Jon ice him? I wonder. Also, the more I think about it, this whole thing seems nuts. Is it April 1st? Did some crazy metalhead hacker hack into icedearth.com?

"As Jon's thing"... That's why Barlow left the first time i bet.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

I am shocked as well... the apr 1 was my first thought too! I have to say though that I really like Ripper. I have enjoyed his IE work and while some may not like him I thought he did a great job.

Is it me or is Jon's and Matt's relationship kinda like mick jagger and keith richards - they are much better together than apart...

Alex

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:45 pm

Wow. I go away for an hour or 2 and all hell breaks loose.

I've been saying for awile now that I thought Tim's days were numbered, but this news really seems to be coming out of nowhere. I wonder if fans reaction to the new album had anything to do with this? Wow. I'm flabbergasted. So many questions. I gotta collect my thought and come back to this.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 7:49 pm

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 8:23 pm

BOO YA!!

Great news on one hand, yet on the other hand I can't help but feel sorry for Tim... he gets screwed out of a primo position yet again...

But like someone said earlier, the recent news about him rejoining Winters Bane may indicate he knew this was coming.

I'm sure from the time he joined I.E., just like when he joined Priest, he must've known there'd be an expiration date somewhere down the road.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!   Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matt Barlow rejoins Iced Earth!
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next