Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.

Go down 
+26
nevermore
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Jesusandmetal23
Troublezone
James B.
Wargod
DeathCult
romeolimagolf
DallasBlack
bassman
kmorg
Gilbert
Rex
Mglaffas81
Olafsto
exact33
Joe
Temple of Blood
Lari
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
Smindas
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:28 am

Ripper is the most suitable to fill this vacancy headbanger
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I enjoyed The Glorious Burden with Tim, but by Framing Armaggedon, the orchestration was getting too much for me. That, combined with my general disinterest in most modern day power metal, left me with a sense of "I think I'm done with these guys". I never bothered with The Crucible of Man. Too much other music out there I wanted to hear.

I am that way too. IE was just trying to be too fancy. I enjoyed TGB because it was a metal album plain and simple.

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Hoping this revitalizes them and they get back to good, solid metal.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 2:03 pm

I welcomed Jon back in IE as the "missing piece" I thought he was. After they released Crucible of Man I missed Ripper again...... His albums with IE are probably some of my favorites now.

The will certainly get the hardcore fans to buy tickets for the upcoming tour though. Last time to see Matt in IE!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:08 pm

I hate to say this but.....

I think Barlow's best vocal performance ever was Pyramaze's Immortal. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 pm

I loved Barlow in Iced Earth the first time around but the stuff he's sung on since rejoining has just done nothing for me. I don't think Barlow is at fault; I think it's Jon's self-indulgent songwriting at this point.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:44 pm

bassman wrote:

I think Barlow's best vocal performance ever was Pyramaze's Immortal. Just my opinion.
Sounded like the same Barlow to me.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 am

Glorious Burden was my last frequent IE listener. I initially loved the Framing sequals (and I still love some of the songs-I think Eyesore had it right on cutting some of the fat). If I'm in an IE mood, I usually go for Stormrider through Glorious Burden. I too really liked The Sons Of Liberty album.

BTW, if I wasn't just starting my automotive career, I'd be happy to lend my services to IE. Very Happy Just kidding of course, while I can do the lower to mid range fairly well, I can't get those high notes and the grit on the clean parts.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 10:15 am

I just hope John finds a permanent replacement and doesn't go the singer-for-hire route on every IE album from here on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:59 am

That would be nice. I think it's a little daunting to fill those two guys shoes.
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 2:37 pm

It may be a little intimidating to fill those shoes, but I don't think it's impossible. In fact, I think someone like Greg Wagner (Archetype, Shatter Messiah, H.A.T.E.) or Scott Oliva (Wind Wraith) would do a great job in Iced Earth.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Good call! Yeah, those two guys would be good.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 6:21 pm

I still think this guy would be a good fit.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Never heard that band but his voice would be great in Iced Earth.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 8:21 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Never heard that band but his voice would be great in Iced Earth.
They were awesome! Those songs came from a demo EP called Winter is Coming. They had one full-length, The Veil of Summer, after that, which was even better.

They're no more, though. The singer is now in Lorenguard (http://www.myspace.com/lorenguard). He's probably too young for them, though. Like mid-twenties too young, you know.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
bassman wrote:

Sounded like the same Barlow to me.

Like I said, just my opinion. I liked the songwriting style better for sure.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 8:38 pm

I know. I wasn't telling you you were wrong.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I know. I wasn't telling you you were wrong.

Sorry, didn't mean to get defensive. The Winterfell guy would be a great fit for IE, he even has some of the same vocal phrasing style as Barlow.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've never actually really listened to IE
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:44 am

Eyesore wrote:

I agree
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 am

I dont know if it really matters until they come out some interesting music. Vocals are important but given the last album, the music is still key.

Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:06 am

exact33 wrote:
I dont know if it really matters until they come out some interesting music. Vocals are important but given the last album, the music is still key.

True enough in most cases, but a stellar vocalist CAN make some mediocre tunes soar.......take a listen some of the Judas Priest stuff. I love JP but without Rob's vocals some of those songs would be rather dull. I still think Ripper could have made that last IE album listenable.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 am

Vocals can save mediocre music but it's difficult.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:21 am

Eyesore wrote:

Does he have the range Barlow had? I think that's important.

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 am

Just curious is Matt gonna record the new cd and then leave or leave before? I'd like to see him record the new cd before he left.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next