Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.

Go down 
+26
nevermore
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Jesusandmetal23
Troublezone
James B.
Wargod
DeathCult
romeolimagolf
DallasBlack
bassman
kmorg
Gilbert
Rex
Mglaffas81
Olafsto
exact33
Joe
Temple of Blood
Lari
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
Smindas
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:07 am

From what i've heard the new guy is a good choice. He is really versatile. I think he will help revitalize the band again.

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 am

I listened to N2E ( <-- see what I did there) last album on the way to work this morning. I just don't hear the range that people keep talking about. He's a killer singer for sure, but I don't hear much beyond the Halford/Owens-esque high vocals......that and the grunting vocals. I'm having a hard time hearing him in my head singing for IE.
Back to top Go down
stpatrik
Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:40 am

No matter what people's perception of Jon is, he surely has a history of picking good musicians to the IE cause. And apparently this guy has already sung on several choice IE classics for Jon to validate. Although I cant see for example growls in IE, nothing indicates he will actually use that part of his voice in IE. Until proven otherwise, I have faith that it could work. Bring on the new album. Dissapointed that Stockholm isnt included in the dates, but noticed they have a day in-between Helsinki and Copenhagen - hopefully they fill that date with Stockholm.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:45 am

I'll have to break out N2E (thanks Rex) this weekend and listen to that guy again and try to envision him in Iced Earth.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:18 pm

So he goes from Into Eternity (IE) to Iced Earth (IE)...... interesting! Very Happy

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:13 pm

I guess this dude will work. I was at first disappointed. I didn't think he would be the right fit to sing any BURNT OFFERINGS material. But, what was I thinking, Jon doesn't care for that album anyway, so he probably won't even be singing anything from that. We'll see what they come up with.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:10 am

Anybody have any decent bootlegs of Tim Owens live material from IE?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:30 am

Rex wrote:
Anybody have any decent bootlegs of Tim Owens live material from IE?

Here's one from '04

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AQPD4HHA

Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 6:29 pm

I hadn't listened to Into Eternity for the longest time, and the day that I do, I see this news. Not a bad choice for a singer, as long as he doesn't bring his growls with him.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:12 pm

I wouldn't mind some growls. Not all over the place, but a few well-placed growls can be pretty killer.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I wouldn't mind some growls. Not all over the place, but a few well-placed growls can be pretty killer.

I'm pretty sure he'll put some growls to use here and there. I really wanna hear how he'll sound with an album full of mainly clean vocals versus the vocal gymnastics he goes through in Into Eternity.
Back to top Go down
CountKarnstein
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Is he finishing off all planned tours first? I supposed to be seeing them at Wacken this year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.KarnsteinRecords.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'll have to break out N2E (thanks Rex) this weekend and listen to that guy again and try to envision him in Iced Earth.

I'm listening to this guy right now on A Scattering of Ashes. I guess he'll be an interesting choice for Iced Earth. I'm still on the fence about the growls, but you never know. They might make it work somehow. The only negative I hear is that sometimes his high-pitched screams seem a little strained. He needs a little more control over the high-end stuff if he's gonna do that. Maybe not go so over-the-top.

Should be interesting.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 3:37 am

I think this is a good example of what the new guy can do.

Nice mid-range (it's layered in underneath), a little different from Barlow's but I imagine he can take it a bit lower, too; great growls; and I love his highs. The more I think about it, the more I think he's a great choice. He'll be able to do all eras of the band, even the first two albums as they were originally done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5