Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.

Go down 
+26
nevermore
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Jesusandmetal23
Troublezone
James B.
Wargod
DeathCult
romeolimagolf
DallasBlack
bassman
kmorg
Gilbert
Rex
Mglaffas81
Olafsto
exact33
Joe
Temple of Blood
Lari
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Eyesore
Smindas
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Empty
PostSubject: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Taken from Blabbermouth;
Quote :
Longtime ICED EARTH vocalist Matt Barlow has announced his retirement from the band.

In his heartfelt statement, Barlow cites his commitment to his family and the need for ICED EARTH to tour more as the reasons for his retirement; however, he has committed to perform with ICED EARTH on all 2011 European festival dates, which will be his last with the band.

Matt Barlow's official statement is as follows:

"Brothers and sisters,

"Let me begin by saying how much of an honor it has been to share my time in ICED EARTH with Jon and the guys…and with all of you! Since my return to the band in 2007, it has truly been extraordinary. I have had the opportunity to travel the world and see old friends and meet new ones. Though we had originally thought that the ICED EARTH touring schedule would be very limited, we were able to play our fair share of concerts.

"During that time we were also able to have a live DVD produced [the forthcoming 'Festivals Of The Wicked']. However, due to the rapidly changing music industry, it has become increasingly clear to recording artists that the only way to keep a band viable and to truly reach its potential is through live performances. That means that a band must reach out to new regions of the globe and become pioneers for their own livelihood. Since 2007, Jon and I have always had the best intentions for the future of ICED EARTH, and we still do. However, given the band's projected touring schedule, ICED EARTH's future and mine must now take separate paths.

"On my departure from ICED EARTH in 2003, I made a commitment to my wife and to the idea that we would start, and raise, our family together. Two years later, my first child was born and two years after that, my second. My youngest son was born about a week before Jon asked me to return to ICED EARTH. It was a very exciting and emotional time for all of us, but we were all clear on our intentions. It is apparent to us now that regardless of our belief at that time, time can change an intended outcome. In this instance, I hope that change will not be regarded as a bad thing, but rather as a necessary part of evolution.

"Jon and the band must venture into new realms to continue to grow ICED EARTH. I commend him for his ideals and wish nothing but to share in his vision. I know that this is not the last time Jon and I will work together, but it will be my last endeavor with ICED EARTH. ICED EARTH is a name and force of its own. It has been very good to me and has allowed me to live a dream that others would give most anything for. I have been truly blessed to share this experience with everyone. I will continue to support Jon and ICED EARTH in every way. I will also continue to create and perform in my own capacity.

"These next months will prove to be a very emotional time for me. I am extremely happy to be able to share the experience with Jon, Brent, Freddie, Troy and the ICED EARTH family. I am proud to know them and honored that they consider me their friend. It is going to be phenomenal to share the love of this music during several summer festivals and I know that it will be a time we will never forget.

"Please consider all that I have brought forth and all of Jon's offerings before passing judgment on the future of ICED EARTH. This band has always strived to give its listeners the very best and I know that Jon, as always, will continue to lead that charge.

"To ICED EARTH and all of you…I wish you the very best!!!"
This doesn't really surprise me, to be honest. I don't know though, with Barlow back I was really looking forward to what the band had to offer. Then Crucible of Man came out and was quite the dullard. I was hoping the next one would sound like a classic Iced Earth record, with Matt behind the vox and Jon having mentioned going a bit more to the earlier, thrashier formula.

They're really going to have to get someone good to not fall by the wayside. I'm really not sure where the band can go from here.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Yeah, definitely not a surprise. And like I said long ago, I have nothing but respect for Barlow. He made a commitment to his family and he did it. Dude went from one of the most popular and successful heavy metal bands to becoming a cop! That's nuts. And he's still a cop, despite his time back in Iced Earth these last few years. Gotta respect that.

But he's right. Touring is so necessary now, and he simply can't do it.

As for a new vocalist, I really hope they don't bring Owens back in. As much as I like his voice, I think Iced Earth needs a singer with a deeper tone. We'll see...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. 482

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:35 pm

I've pretty much lost interest in Iced Earth, but I understand Matt's reason for leaving. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Let's see which throat for hire steps into this gig.

Jorn? Nils Patrick Johansson? Lance King? Ooooo...DC Cooper!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah, I agree with you Ken about Ripper. If they're really continuing as Iced Earth, they need someone with a bit more grit and bass. I'd suggest what I suggested when Tim took over the fold originally - that Jon should take over vocals - but that'd just reduce the band to Sons of Liberty, really.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:29 pm

John Greely was pretty good.

Too bad he was a nazi or something.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Greely was young and stupid back then. He's a born-again Christian now with a new album on the way.

I think it makes sense to bring Ripper back actually. Not that I am the biggest fan of his tenure with IE, but he would be willing to tour and has been with the band before.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Too bad. This is really going to hurt them,I think. Probably going to be hard to come back from this setback. I liked Ripper's tenure in the band but I don't think they should go down that route again. Maybe they'll be able to find a talented unknown somewhere (on the net ala Journey ?)
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 8:25 pm

I doubt Ripper comes back. He was unceremoniously dumped right before Christmas. Funny because I was just thinking about IE today and wondering what they were up to. I would have liked to hear one more album with Barlow. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Doh! Maybe Jon should just focus on his other projects...

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 2:21 am

Smindas wrote:
Yeah, I agree with you Ken about Ripper. If they're really continuing as Iced Earth, they need someone with a bit more grit and bass. I'd suggest what I suggested when Tim took over the fold originally - that Jon should take over vocals - but that'd just reduce the band to Sons of Liberty, really.
As well as he sang on Sons of Liberty, I don't think he has the power needed to sing most of what the other singers in the band did.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 3:53 am

Yeah, true. Unless he stuck with material exclusively from the first album ;P Really, I can't help but feel this is a bit of a nail in the coffin for Iced Earth.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:07 am

The problem is not the singer but the fact that their latest albums are boring and uninspired. Taking back Barlow did not help the least.
Like others have said, time to quit and focus on other projects Jon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:14 am

I don't think their latest albums have been boring at all. And I'd say they've been too inspired, to an extent. The two Something Wicked albums were to ambitious, without enough really strong material to carry two discs. Each album has some killer tunes, which would have made one brilliant album. The leftover tracks are good if not useless, in the case of the instrumental or extremely short tracks. But I don't think the albums are boring at all.

And I thought The Glorious Burden was outstanding, aside from some terrible lyrics at times (thanks, Ripper!).

No way should Jon stop doing Iced Earth. I'd suggest some people stop listening to them.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:32 am

Eyesore wrote:
I don't think their latest albums have been boring at all. And I'd say they've been too inspired, to an extent. The two Something Wicked albums were to ambitious, without enough really strong material to carry two discs. Each album has some killer tunes, which would have made one brilliant album. The leftover tracks are good if not useless, in the case of the instrumental or extremely short tracks. But I don't think the albums are boring at all.

And I thought The Glorious Burden was outstanding, aside from some terrible lyrics at times (thanks, Ripper!).

No way should Jon stop doing Iced Earth. I'd suggest some people stop listening to them.

I have stopped listening to them. I just don`t hear what you hear in the Something Wicked albums, maybe I havent tried hard enough Smile .
The Glorious Burden would have been outstanding with Barlow IMO, Ripper was never the right man for IE.
I do enjoy Sons Of Liberty and Demons & Wizards and hope he will focus more on those...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:39 am

I thought Framing Armageddon was fantastic and Crucible of Man very dull. I also still maintain that The Glorious Burden is average at best. Both it and Crucible had some shining moments, but as albums they leave me cold.

Also, you can't blame all the terrible lyrics on Ripper. Isn't there that bit in Jon's 'Gettysburg' where the lyrics are "WE'RE ALMOST THERE MY BOYS!" over and over. I just find it hilariously piratey.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:39 am

I just think they should try and find a permanent replacement - one who doesn't have 5000 other projects going on, who's hungry to tour and have connection and chemistry with the other bandmembers - I hate temporary replacements, it's never a good solution, it doesn't lead anywhere - It just means more songs to work on with every new vocalist that comes along, as well as the band slowly losing their identity.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:56 am

The Gettysburg trilogy is some of the best songs I've ever heard, in terms of concept. Get yourself in a dark room with a small lamp near you or something, crank those tunes and read along to it. With the music and the words, the visuals it evokes is awesome. Gave me goose bumps the first time I did that.

Most people won't do that, though. Especially considering far more people downloaded the album than bought it. It's really meant to be listened to while reading along.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 5:03 am

Mglaffas: I'm pretty sure nearly every vocalist in Iced Earth was never meant to be a "temporary" vocalist (the exception being Tim, who was originally only to be a guest singer for The Glorious Burden). Iced Earth seem to just have a hard time in this area. I definitely agree about the loss of identity, though.

Eyesore: Haha, I've done similar before. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great trilogy and amongst the best material Jon has done, even if it is a bit pompous. I just find the "boys" bit amusing. I'm not entirely sure why, probably says more about my immaturity than Jon's writing skills.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:16 am

Eyesore wrote:
The Gettysburg trilogy is some of the best songs I've ever heard, in terms of concept. Get yourself in a dark room with a small lamp near you or something, crank those tunes and read along to it. With the music and the words, the visuals it evokes is awesome. Gave me goose bumps the first time I did that.

Most people won't do that, though. Especially considering far more people downloaded the album than bought it. It's really meant to be listened to while reading along.

I agree. I really enjoyed The Glorious Burden but The Gettysburg trilogy is the best.

Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:43 am

I loved Ripper in IE. He totally made those albums and I think IE's music is made for his voice.

When Barlow came back IE totally went down the toilet. His last album was a snoozefest. I wish Ripper would come back but after the way Jon kicked him out I don't see that happening any time soon.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 8:53 am

GLORIOUS BURDEN was the last I.E. that I truly loved (and I'm totally in Eyesore's corner re: "Gettysburg," which is phenomenal... if that CD had just been those three tracks, I still would've been over the moon). I really WANTED to like the FRAMING ARMAGEDDON and CRUCIBLE OF MAN discs since they were picking up the "Something Wicked" story thread from SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, which is my favorite I.E. album... but they both left me cold. Nothin' against Ripper's or Barlow's performances on either one, they just did nothin' for me. I liked Jon's Sons of Liberty album better than either of'em. That's the pocket Iced Earth should shoot for on the next record (whoever sings on it).

Someone at another forum suggested that Ronny Munroe (ex-Metal Church) might make a suitable replacement for Barlow. I'd go along with that. I wasn't terribly crazy about the M.C. discs he sang on, but the guy's got a heckuva set of pipes. I could definitely see him handling I.E. style material.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 am

I enjoyed The Glorious Burden with Tim, but by Framing Armaggedon, the orchestration was getting too much for me. That, combined with my general disinterest in most modern day power metal, left me with a sense of "I think I'm done with these guys". I never bothered with The Crucible of Man. Too much other music out there I wanted to hear.

I heard a little bit of the Sons of Liberty stuff and it sounded promising, but I'm in no rush to get it.

Quote :
I'd suggest some people stop listening to them.

That's what I'm doing. Maybe someday I'll come back to the fold, but I'll stick with their older stuff for now when I need a fix. Maybe a new singer will spark something in Jon, but until he moves away from all the orchestral music, epic storytelling and "flower metal" tendencies, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 am

Who can tour constantly and doesn't have family/job commitments? That's the test for who the new singer will be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.   Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matt Barlow leaves Iced Earth... again.
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next