Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First Scorpions, now Priest...

Go down 
+29
Ben Grimm
Gilbert
MEGATRON
MoonChild
Zdan
onrypt
metalinmyveins
DallasBlack
Metal Misfit
Lari
Troublezone
adrian
James B.
GrandNational
tul
MetalGuy71
JBall_Z
labrekk
mc666
Temple of Blood
thejokeriv
manny
Fat Freddy
exact33
SlaytanicPOWER
ultmetal
Alex Dee Rokket
Shawn Of Fire
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Are we reading more into this than the press release states?

Quote :
After storming the world for nearly 40 years and taking its very special brand of heavy metal to all four corners of the planet, JUDAS PRIEST — one of the most influential heavy metal bands of all time — has announced plans to embark on a final world tour. However, the mighty PRIEST will certainly be going out strong as it rocks the planet starting in 2011 on the massive "Epitaph" trek — hitting all the major cities throughout the world where it will play the songs that helped make the name JUDAS PRIEST synonymous with heavy metal.

With all guns blazing and amps cranked to eleven, the band will be giving all its fans one last chance to witness the ultimate metal experience that is JUDAS PRIEST!

Re-reading this thing, all it really talks about is Priest doing one final world tour. Nothing about retiring, breaking up, no more recording, etc. This is just a statement about playing live. Am I missing something?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 4:54 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :
After storming the world for nearly 40 years and taking its very special brand of heavy metal to all four corners of the planet, JUDAS PRIEST — one of the most influential heavy metal bands of all time — has announced plans to embark on a final world tour. However, the mighty PRIEST will certainly be going out strong as it rocks the planet starting in 2011 on the massive "Epitaph" trek — hitting all the major cities throughout the world where it will play the songs that helped make the name JUDAS PRIEST synonymous with heavy metal.

With all guns blazing and amps cranked to eleven, the band will be giving all its fans one last chance to witness the ultimate metal experience that is JUDAS PRIEST!

Re-reading this thing, all it really talks about is Priest doing one final world tour. Nothing about retiring, breaking up, no more recording, etc. This is just a statement about playing live. Am I missing something?

I hope you're right... maybe they will make a few more records and do some big festivals here and there.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

I hope you're right... maybe they will make a few more records and do some big festivals here and there.

That would be nice..... I am sure their will be some clarification in interviews. But, I think they mean this is the end. Bands just don;t make $$$ of albums like they did in the 80's - now a days the money is in touring. In the 80's, bands used to break even or lose money touring and make the big bucks off albums sales. It's reversed now.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:07 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

That would be nice..... I am sure their will be some clarification in interviews. But, I think they mean this is the end. Bands just don;t make $$$ of albums like they did in the 80's - now a days the money is in touring. In the 80's, bands used to break even or lose money touring and make the big bucks off albums sales. It's reversed now.

Well it's still early in their decision... so maybe they will change their minds and do one more album. Who knows... don\'t know
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Well it's still early in their decision... so maybe they will change their minds and do one more album. Who knows... don\'t know

A balls-to-the-walls farewell album would be cool to make, or maybe they can do what many bands have done in the last few years, and re-record their first album as a thank you to the fans.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:35 pm

If it's just Halford aging and not being able to perform some of the old songs... well, let's just say there's always a Tim Owens out there waiting to step in. Wink
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Wishful thinking...they're ending the band...if they were going to carry on recording they would say so...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Sad news. At least I got to see them live last year for my first (and hopefully not final) time. They put on a fantastic show.

And I highly doubt they'll be going out without putting out another album. Anyway, I thought the press release was a bit fuzzy as well. All that's said is final world tour. We'll see...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Wishful thinking...they're ending the band...if they were going to carry on recording they would say so...

Ozzy "retired" a few times... Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:27 pm

I like Priest but i'm much more of a Sabbath fan... and from what i've heard they are going to try to continue on without DIO.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

if only he got it right....

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:42 pm

exact33 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

if only he got it right....

Sharon didn't let him.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:53 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

True, maybe they already have the songs are are waiting for Halford to finish the Ozzy tour to hit the studio. Maybe Halford's last album where the leftovers
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 7:57 pm

mc666 wrote:
all good things must come to an end. i would have preferred them to go out with a stronger album than Nostradamus, but i guess that's just how it goes.

That first sentence is the exact sentence that entered my head when I opened this thread. Though it was a weak album to end their career on, at least they have more great albums than duds. Sad to hear especially since I just became a big Priest fan in recent years. I will try to scrounge up money to see them on their farewell tour. However, if I fail to make it, at least I'll always have The Master's Of Metal concert two summers ago.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 8:11 pm

It's sad, but I think that Dio's death probably sparked some quality debate amongst bands behind closed doors. I'm guessing a lot of bands who are nearing 60 years of age or who are beyond 60 are re-evaluating their lives. The question being, do we want to do this up until we're nearing death's door? Some people can't get away from the road, as that's all they've ever known, but then you have others who have homes/families, etc...

I remember Keith Jackson (famous college football announcer) stating how he didn't want to die in some parking lot somewhere in his trailer before some Saturday afternoon game. Hell, I miss hearing the guy call BIG-10 and PAC-10 games (and the Rose Bowl), but I totally respect his decision to hang it up when he did.

I have a feeling that Dio probably went out the way he wanted to, but I always wondered, had he known ahead of time that he would die in May of 2010, would he have changed anything about his life? Did he have other aspirations outside of music, or was the stage always going to be his playground?
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 pm

I was in third grade when Stained Class came out. (Maybe nostalgia but I still think it's their best album ever) We had a local radio station that played entire albums. It was called 96X-KXXY Album Rock - It's now a country station, but I can remember listening to JP Stained Class while playing in the garage and that was over 30 years ago.
Was fortunate to see them on the Screaming, Defenders and Turbo tours.
They were (are) one of the greats.
I hope Maiden holds out..... headbanger
C.

Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 8:15 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
It's sad, but I think that Dio's death probably sparked some quality debate amongst bands behind closed doors. I'm guessing a lot of bands who are nearing 60 years of age or who are beyond 60 are re-evaluating their lives. The question being, do we want to do this up until we're nearing death's door? Some people can't get away from the road, as that's all they've ever known, but then you have others who have homes/families, etc...

I remember Keith Jackson (famous college football announcer) stating how he didn't want to die in some parking lot somewhere in his trailer before some Saturday afternoon game. Hell, I miss hearing the guy call BIG-10 and PAC-10 games (and the Rose Bowl), but I totally respect his decision to hang it up when he did.

I have a feeling that Dio probably went out the way he wanted to, but I always wondered, had he known ahead of time that he would die in May of 2010, would he have changed anything about his life? Did he have other aspirations outside of music, or was the stage always going to be his playground?

I totally agree. I dont think anyone should be pigeonholed into being this or that. If you have the freedom to do something else that makes you happy - go for it...

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 9:50 am

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Ozzy's a drooling idiot with a controlling wife... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 11:49 am

Quote :
The question being, do we want to do this up until we're nearing death's door?

Anyone can die at any time and at any age. The real question is if they could keep up the lifestyle of touring. Depending on the individual and if they're in good shape, your 70's might feel like your only just 60 something...

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 11:53 am

Tony Iommi is another trooper that could probably keep going 'til his mid 70's.

As a matter of fact, my grandmother is 76 and still working her nursing job...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Ozzy's a drooling idiot with a controlling wife... Very Happy

Also, the difference between this and Ozzy's "retirement" around No More Tears/Tours was he was in his 40s at the time...the JP guys waited til they were pushing/over 60...
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
The question being, do we want to do this up until we're nearing death's door?

Anyone can die at any time and at any age. The real question is if they could keep up the lifestyle of touring. Depending on the individual and if they're in good shape, your 70's might feel like your only just 60 something...

This is true, but I guess I'm referring to the individual or band, who have been around the block a few times already. Put it this way, I would hope for those who are over 50, I would like to think that there's been some personal growth that has shown itself along the way. For the people who are living a reckless lifestyle, or have infinitesimally matured over the years, I don't know what to say about those folk... I think that some rock stars age like a fine wine, and some just don't...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Quote :
HALFORD — the band fronted by JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford — took part in a rare television performance earlier today (Wednesday, December 8 ) on WGN-TV, virtual channel 9 (digital channel 19) — the CW-affiliated television station in Chicago, Illinois. You can now watch video footage of the group's appearance below.

When asked about PRIEST's announcement that it was embarking on its final tour beginning next year, Halford replied, "Well, they do say that all good things come to an end and that's probably the case in this case. But I'm delighted that, of course, the HALFORD band is gonna be storming forward in the metal future, and that's gotta be good news."

He added, "I've been doing this now for close to 40 years and it's a real thrill to think that I'm part of the roots of it all. Not just myself — many, many other people have been responsible for putting the whole heavy metal scene onto the map. It's as strong now as it's ever been."

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:47 pm

"the metal future" ....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Quote :
When asked about PRIEST's announcement that it was embarking on its final tour beginning next year, Halford replied, "Well, they do say that all good things come to an end and that's probably the case in this case. But I'm delighted that, of course, the HALFORD band is gonna be storming forward in the metal future, and that's gotta be good news."

So I'm still not convinced that Judas Priest is calling it a day altogether. Done touring? Probably. Done recording? Nah. I still think there's another album or 2 in their future. Maybe Glen wants to do another solo album in the meantime?

Speaking of JP members, has KK or Ian ever done anything outside of Priest? Just wondering?

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpions, now Priest...   First Scorpions, now Priest... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Scorpions, now Priest...
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next