Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

King's X vs. Alice in Chains

Go down 
+36
martinsane
MetalH
mr.electric39
James B.
Olafsto
WhenTheWildWindBlows
akeldama
Rex
Addy
Gilbert
Eyesore
stevegarveyfan
Leatherface
ryanmetalman
shamgar75
nevermore
DallasBlack
chewie
bassman
tohostudios
adrian
stormspell
Ben Grimm
mc666
GrandNational
fingers
thejokeriv
Thrasher73
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
manny
Hamer12
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
40 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Choose!
King's X
King's X vs. Alice in Chains Vote_lcap59%King's X vs. Alice in Chains Vote_rcap
 59% [ 26 ]
Alice in Chains
King's X vs. Alice in Chains Vote_lcap41%King's X vs. Alice in Chains Vote_rcap
 41% [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 44

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

King's X vs. Alice in Chains Empty
PostSubject: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm of the opinion that Alice in Chains are boring and overrated. I've never cared much for them, though I know many people do. That new song that the radio is force feeding us from AiC is annoying as hell. It sounds like a warped tape and the riff is so repetitive and boring.

On the other hand, I find King's X to be a vastly underrated band who are deserving of more success than they have seen. Dug's vocals are soulful and their lyrics thought-provoking, even if I don't always agree with them.

I'm sure I am in the minority, but which do you prefer and why?

BTW, in case anyone is curious, this thread stems from a discussion over at the CMR that Temple of Blood and I were having.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Alice all the way. They write depressing music that rocks and I like that. Been a fan since the first time I heard 'Man in a Box' and hated the grunge scene at the time. But I've always dug these guys.

Try as I might, I just don't get King's X. Seen them live, bought an album or 2 and I even dig the members outside work (Supershine, Jelly Jam, Ty's solo work, etc.) but I just can't get into King's X.

Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:16 pm

KX all the way. Bought OOTSP as a new release way back in the day & IMO they have never released a turd album. I like AiC a lot, mostly the slower stuff. Rotten Apple & Nutshell are 2 of my favorite songs of all time.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:17 pm

First I want to say that I 100% disagree with your statement regarding Alice In Chains, I find them far from boring and I think they wrote some of the best songs of that 90's era. I also find it interesting how Alice In Chains used vocals in their songs and I think Jerry Cantrell is an excellent songwriting and Layne Staley had a great voice, and also love their newest album.
Of course I respect your right to disagree with me...even if you are wrong!!
just kidding

Still I choose King's X because they think they draw from more sources and are a unique band. Nobody sounds like King's X, and like Alice In Chains these guys use their voices interesting ways. Their albums are more diverse and everytime I listen to a King's X I always pick up something new and the band is an incredible live band.

Of course ULT you should realize I have never thought of comparing the two bands!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:19 pm

Agreed with manny that they wrote some of the best songs of the 90s.

This poll would be more meaningful on a board that doesn't really serve as the Ultimatum fan board. There you would get a better sampling of the metal population.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:23 pm

I think we have a great sampling of the metal population here, which is why I asked it here as opposed to the CMR, which has more of a Christian slant than this board.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Agreed with manny that they wrote some of the best songs of the 90s.

This poll would be more meaningful on a board that doesn't really serve as the Ultimatum fan board. There you would get a better sampling of the metal population.

ToB I don't think that is fair, Members on this board have a wide variety of taste in music , not just in metal, and if you noticed MG disagreeded with ULT.

I personally do not know enough about Ultimatum's music to know if I like 'em or don't like 'em.

Back to the topic, why do you prefer Alice In Chains?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:27 pm

I've never been more than a casual fan of either band, to be honest. But if pressed I'd probably have to say I like AIC better.

Like MG71 said, King's X are one of those bands that I really tried to get into whole hog, but never really could do it. They have numerous songs I dig but overall I guess I just fail to see what all the whoop-de-doo is about'em.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm not sure I understand the comparing of these 2 bands to begin with. Did fingers put you up to this?

While I'm not a fan, I've heard enough of King's X music to know they don't sound like AiC or vice versa.

I'd argue that AiC vocals are both soulful and thought-provoking as well.

Quote :
King's X are one of those bands that I really tried to get into whole hog, but never really could do it. They have numerous songs I dig but overall I guess I just fail to see what all the whoop-de-doo is about'em.

I never really gave them the time of day until I started lurking around this board and saw all the accolades they've received from various members. I figured I must be missing out, but nope. Nothing. I don't dislike them, but I don't "get it" either.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:34 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I think we have a great sampling of the metal population here

Not at all. A HUGE disproportionate interest in Christian metal here. Try Braveboard or Metal-Rules that has many more posters.

Not to mention that you can look at their sales figures for CDs and concerts and ascertain which band people prefer.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Not at all. A HUGE disproportionate interest in Christian metal here. Try Braveboard or Metal-Rules that has many more posters.

Not to mention that you can look at their sales figures for CDs and concerts and ascertain which band people prefer.

Using your logic then Justin Bieber has to be one of the greatest artist of all time since he has sold more CD's then both of their lastest releases combined.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :
King's X are one of those bands that I really tried to get into whole hog, but never really could do it. They have numerous songs I dig but overall I guess I just fail to see what all the whoop-de-doo is about'em.

I never really gave them the time of day until I started lurking around this board and saw all the accolades they've received from various members. I figured I must be missing out, but nope. Nothing. I don't dislike them, but I don't "get it" either.

I had some friends in college who were totally over the moon for King's X, were constantly trying to get me into'em. I kinda dig the FAITH HOPE LOVE and DOGMAN albums but other than that, the others I've heard have had a few cool songs here and there and then a whole hella lot of filler.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:45 pm

OK, I'm running a similar poll on Braveboard as an experiment.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:47 pm

I think they're comparable to a degree.

They both have heavy, D-tuned riffs.

They both rely heavily on harmonized vocals and more than one singer (the lead singers being charismatic, soulful vocalists and the secondary vocalists being melodic and straghtforward).

The both have great solos & deep grooves.

AIC is decidedly darker than KX while KX carries a slightly more technical edge.

For me, surprise surprise, I chose King's X.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 pm

manny wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Using your logic then Justin Bieber has to be one of the greatest artist of all time since he has sold more CD's then both of their lastest releases combined.

He wasn't measuring "greatness"...he was measuring public preference.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:48 pm

manny wrote:

Uh ... what?

I'm not talking about determining the quality of the artists. It's about who people prefer ... hence why we have a POLL.

Besides, even Bieber has not sold anywhere near as much as the highest selling artists of all-time.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Bingo.

And yeah, I think they are comparable bands too.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Bingo.

And yeah, I think they are comparable bands too.

OK fair enough, I don't really think they are comparable bands but maybe its just me. As far as sales or what the public preference is means little to me, in terms of shaping my opinion of which artist I prefer.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:52 pm

manny wrote:
As far as sales or what the public preference is means little to me, in terms of shaping my opinion of which artist I prefer.

I feel the same way but that has little to do with the OP.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39590

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:54 pm

I never could really get into King's X for some reason. Alice In Chains is my favorite band from that era. Everything they released up to their self titled album (with the 3 legged dog on the cover) was pure excellence in my opinion.They get my vote.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

I had some friends in college who were totally over the moon for King's X, were constantly trying to get me into'em. I kinda dig the FAITH HOPE LOVE and DOGMAN albums but other than that, the others I've heard have had a few cool songs here and there and then a whole hella lot of filler.

I owned Faith Hope Love and Ear Candy at one point, but sold them both off. I saw them live about a year or so ago, opening for Porcupine Tree. I was holding out, thinking, "Well, the albums didn't click, but maybe seeing them live will change my mind". While I thought they were good, I still wasn't hooked. I do find it odd personally that I enjoy the guys outside projects so much. I just spun Supershine and a Platypus cd not long ago.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 2:57 pm

007 wrote:
I never could really get into King's X for some reason. Alice In Chains is my favorite band from that era. Everything they released up to their self titled album (with the 3 legged dog on the cover) was pure excellence in my opinion.They get my vote.

Totally agree with all of that. Even the unplugged stuff was really excellent.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 3:04 pm

I have to go with Alice In Chains.I like alot of Kings X stuff but for the most part prefer AiC over them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
007 wrote:

Totally agree with all of that. Even the unplugged stuff was really excellent.

That was Unplugged performance also demonstrated the strength of their songs IMO
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 3:10 pm

manny wrote:
That was Unplugged performance also demonstrated the strength of their songs IMO

Well, I was referring to "Sap" and "Jar of Flies". Not usually into unplugged versions of electric songs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King's X vs. Alice in Chains   King's X vs. Alice in Chains Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

King's X vs. Alice in Chains
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next