Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alice In Chains

Go down 
+17
skullsmasher
MetalRob331
akeldama
DallasBlack
Troublezone
Wargod
candlemass
sam
Schbopo
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
MetalGuy71
Shiney
the sentinel
Leatherface
Fat Freddy
manny
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:02 pm

What I admired about this band is the use of vocals and the way Layne and Jerry would blend their voices, and would actually sing harmonies and at the same time not water down their music. I liked the combination of them exploring their heavier side on LPS such as " Dirt" and their lighter side on EPs like " SAP". Lyrically Layne would document his self destructive lifestyle, some of the song lyrics at times read more like suicide notes, out of all the bands that exploded out of Grunge scene in the early 90's, I always felt Alice in Chains were the darkest and the one band who was not afaird to show their metal roots.
Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 pm

Amazing band, but I think Layne gets far too much credit. He had a great voice, but Jerry Cantrell is what made Alice In Chains great. Layne just made them a little better than that.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Amazing band, but I think Layne gets far too much credit. He had a great voice, but Jerry Cantrell is what made Alice In Chains great. Layne just made them a little better than that.

Jerry Cantrell was the main song writer so I have to agree his contributions to Alice In Chains due tend to get overshadowed.
Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Love em'. And yeah, Eyesore's right, it's all about Jerry. I like the Face lift album best.
Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:37 pm

manny wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Jerry Cantrell was the main song writer so I have to agree his contributions to Alice In Chains due tend to get overshadowed.
He also sang a lot more than people give him credit for. His vocals were often attributed to Staley.
Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:42 pm

Finally a band you and I can agree on, Eyesore. Smile

Their "Unplugged" CD is arguably their best.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 10:03 pm

Great band. I've had DIRT on cassette for years, that one is in dire need of an upgrade. I only recently acquired FACELIFT on CD and that's a great one too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 11:34 pm

They definitely listened to a good bit of King's X. Not a dis, just an observation. Jerry has mentioned this in interviews as well.

I listened to Facelift constantly when it first came out, wasn't quite as impressed with Dirt (except for the first 3 or 4 tracks), never owned any of the albums after that although my ex girlfriend was a big fan so I heard them alot.

I have a really hard time listening to anything from that period anymore, just too burnt out on it. Soundgarden is the only one of those bands that I was ever a HUGE fan of.

Gruntruck was kinda cool though....
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18937

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 5:17 am

Facelift is a classic. I remember "Man in the Box" blowing me away when I first heard it. You could just tell that the music scene was changing right in front of you. Too bad the band was derailed by their demons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:21 am

At one point, I owned everything. But I traded/sold 'em all off a few years ago (along with Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, etc.) cuz I just grew really tired of it. Plus, it was always on the radio too. I think now I will reacquire a lot of the early 90's late 80's grunge radio stuff since it has been a while since I have heard it. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:33 am

FACELIFT and DIRT are classics and still get busted out and played regularly...after that I sort lost interest....But a drak brooding good band...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:14 am

Being lumped in with the Seattle/grunge groups, these are the only guys from that era that I really like. I have all their stuff except for the Jar of Flies ep. The Unplugged cd is awesome. And I agree with whomever stated that Lanye was overrated. Not to dis the dead, but listen to Jerry's solo stuff and you'll see that he did more for their sound than Layne.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 11:16 am

Eyesore wrote:

Quote :
And I agree with whomever stated that Lanye was overrated

Wait, that was Eyesore? Nevermind then.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 1:29 am

Love em, like Van Halen meets Joy Division!

No doubt Jerry wrote all your favourite pop songs....but Layne added that dark tormented pathos to the nice hooks and riffs that separated them from many others.

The guy had a certain charisma that was and is incredibly magnetic.....just listen to the second half of Dirt which is pure Layne....creeps me out in a similar way to the Manic's Holy Bible and Lou Reed's Berlin....utterly repulsive but you can't look away.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 2:20 am

Once again as with Nirvana and STP, I like them more in principle than in practice due to them being overplayed. Right now I'm into a bunch of AiC influenced bands though.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 5:35 pm

rattpoison wrote:

For real? To me they were always more like Diamond Head meets Nirvana. But yeah, they rule. And this should totally be in the Metal forum.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 1:50 pm

only grunge I ever could like
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Going to see an AiC tribute tonight, "Them Bones."
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 4:00 pm

I read that the band is going into the studio and will release a new album with William DuVall on vocals. He's the guy that toured with them. I haven't heard him, so I gotta ask...does he or will he do a Layne-impression behind the mic or will he have his own style?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 4:04 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I read that the band is going into the studio and will release a new album with William DuVall on vocals. He's the guy that toured with them. I haven't heard him, so I gotta ask...does he or will he do a Layne-impression behind the mic or will he have his own style?

He has his own style, saw him play with Jerry Cantrell about 7 years ago, at the show I saw Cantrell did most of lead vocals, while DuVall played rhythm guitar.
Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Schbopo wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
For real? To me they were always more like Diamond Head meets Nirvana. But yeah, they rule. And this should totally be in the Metal forum.
I think you're both retarded.
Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:37 pm

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
He has his own style, saw him play with Jerry Cantrell about 7 years ago, at the show I saw Cantrell did most of lead vocals, while DuVall played rhythm guitar.
Yeah, he's got his own style, and while I never saw them play live with the guy, fans liked him. Plus the live clips I've seen sound great. He and Jerry harmonize really well together. Fans wanting that Staley copycat won't like him, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSIkYHq6N-c

Sounds good to me. I think it's mainly because, like I mentioned above, Jerry really defined the sound of the vocals more than Layne ever did.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 1:41 pm

Read today there is gonna be a new AIC coming out next year!

Wargod49
Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 1:44 pm

Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod49

Unless they are digging up them Stayley's bones to sing (there's a pun in there), I'm not interested.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:36 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:

Wargod49

Unless they are digging up them Stayley's bones to sing (there's a pun in there), I'm not interested.

While I'm not thrilled at the idea, I'm willing to give it a chance. I like Jerry's solo stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alice In Chains Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alice In Chains   Alice In Chains Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alice In Chains
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next