Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5

Go down 
+22
James B.
brontotex
jerseyultifan+
Troublezone
MetalFRO
Sutekh
Ben Grimm
Glenn Rogers
manny
HellRaiser
Metallic Blaze
kmorg
Stender
Olafsto
biddle
Fat Freddy
exact33
thejokeriv
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
mc666
325ad
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
325ad
Metal master
Metal master
325ad

Number of posts : 532

What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Empty
PostSubject: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:44 am

Something is very wrong when the reviewer from a Secular Metal Magazine rates a Christian Bands Music higher than a Christian Music Reviewer at HM. Such is the case with Decible vs HM. The secular reviewer is at least intrigued by the notion that Christians would listen to and chose to play secular cover songs while the Christian lambast the Ultimatum guys for their desire to cover Non Christian songs. To call the Ultimatum guys a semi talented dark bar act is a little over the top and out of line IMO.

Oh well, hopefully DVP will not have this Hack reviewing any more Metal. What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 4782
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 1:19 am

links?

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 7:13 am

Just because he did not like it doesn't make him a hack. Maybe he likes Metal and just happened to not like this.

Reviews are just one person's opinion...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 7:21 am

According to you guys opinions are 100% subjective anyway so why bother reading any reviews at all?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 7:53 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
According to you guys opinions are 100% subjective anyway so why bother reading any reviews at all?

I think they're 100% subjective and I WROTE reviews for 10 years...ultimately you are the only judge that matters.

The thing about reviews is that, ideally, you come across a reviewer that, based on what you've read vs. what you've purchased, you share similar tastes with and follow that person.

But in these days of webzines and blogs popping up everyday with "reviews" you can't get any sort of consistency.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:11 am

No surprise really. HM has never really supported Ultimatum. It's not the first horrible review they've given us.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:22 am

At least they review your stuff at all.

Now they can get back to pretending that metalcore is really creative stuff.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:24 am

ultmetal wrote:
No surprise really. HM has never really supported Ultimatum. It's not the first horrible review they've given us.

If Cephas was still around we would have supported you guys 110%!!!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:25 am

It's all about advertising and money. They review our stuff because Retroactive pays for advertising in their magazine.

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 am

thejokeriv wrote:

If Cephas was still around we would have supported you guys 110%!!!

What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 792498
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:33 am

I knew it wasn't about them truly wanting to support the scene.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 am

I didnt even realize HM was still around...

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:41 am

Where can I read these reviews? Are they on the magazine's site? I gotta see this crap.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 8:56 am

exact33 wrote:
I didnt even realize HM was still around...

It's still around, but they don't cover metal any more. It's all about popular music now and has been for many years.

Fat Freddy wrote:
Where can I read these reviews? Are they on the magazine's site? I gotta see this crap.

Most of their reviews are no on-line. However, there is a nice piece about "reviews" currently up on their web site you can read and comment on.

http://www.hmmagazine.com/2009/11/an-open-letter-to-an-angry-album-review-reader/

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 9:11 am

325ad wrote:
Something is very wrong when the reviewer from a Secular Metal Magazine rates a Christian Bands Music higher than a Christian Music Reviewer at HM.

I don't agree with this statement. Not for nuthin' but just because HM is a Christian mag doesn't mean they will, or should, give every Christian band a rave review just because they're Christian.

I'm not picking on Ultimatum here, I'm just sayin'. Think about it, if a Christian mag gave every band they reviewed a free pass just because of their religious beliefs, then they're not being fair to the band(s) or readers. Nobody can like everything. After a while it would start to show that the mag is really saying, "Well, I think this band kinda sucks, but we'll give them a break cuz they're good people and they're doing God's work."

I'm an amateur metal critic myself and quite frankly I don't care if a band worships God, Satan, Captain Kirk, or the Teletubbies. If they're a good band, they're a good band. If they suck, they suck. I'm not gonna blow smoke up somebody's butt just to stay on a label or band's good side (and I've gotten some pretty vicious e-mails in response to negative reviews I've written, both by bands themselves and by their fans. You should've seen how many goofballs sent me poorly spelled threats and insults when I beat up a DragonForce CD a few years back... hahaha!).

I haven't read the LEX METALIS review in question but it sounds to me like the Ultimatum CD just got passed to a hater on the HM staff. We're all Ultimatum fans here and yea, it sucks to hear about them getting trashed in print, but it happens to everybody once in a while.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 9:26 am

Never read hm and probably never will. I don't understand all the hate for lex metalis though. Its one of my favorites of the year!!! hey ult. apparently your label didn't buy enough advertising. LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 9:38 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't agree with this statement. Not for nuthin' but just because HM is a Christian mag doesn't mean they will, or should, give every Christian band a rave review just because they're Christian.

I'm not picking on Ultimatum here, I'm just sayin'. Think about it, if a Christian mag gave every band they reviewed a free pass just because of their religious beliefs, then they're not being fair to the band(s) or readers. Nobody can like everything. After a while it would start to show that the mag is really saying, "Well, I think this band kinda sucks, but we'll give them a break cuz they're good people and they're doing God's work."

I'm an amateur metal critic myself and quite frankly I don't care if a band worships God, Satan, Captain Kirk, or the Teletubbies. If they're a good band, they're a good band. If they suck, they suck. I'm not gonna blow smoke up somebody's butt just to stay on a label or band's good side (and I've gotten some pretty vicious e-mails in response to negative reviews I've written, both by bands themselves and by their fans. You should've seen how many goofballs sent me poorly spelled threats and insults when I beat up a DragonForce CD a few years back... hahaha!).

I agree FF. Its been awhile since I have been into the reviewing thing but I find it really hard to believe that someone can like everything that comes across their desk and find it equally as hard that someone hates everything they listen to. No one should get a pass just for what they believe - I know Steve Rowe does a lot of good work and all but I really dont like the direction mort has gone in the last decade. Its not a reflection on Steve's worth as Christian but simply a preference on his music. It is entirely possible to say you dont like something and still be civil about it.

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 9:45 am

Did the reviewer says he did not like the choice of songs and that is why the low rating? Because that would be lame. Or did he think Ultimatum did not do the songs justice?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 10:11 am

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I agree FF. Its been awhile since I have been into the reviewing thing but I find it really hard to believe that someone can like everything that comes across their desk and find it equally as hard that someone hates everything they listen to. No one should get a pass just for what they believe - I know Steve Rowe does a lot of good work and all but I really dont like the direction mort has gone in the last decade. Its not a reflection on Steve's worth as Christian but simply a preference on his music. It is entirely possible to say you dont like something and still be civil about it.

I also agree with FF, when I did Cephas, if the album sucked even through it was a "christian" band, I was honest and said it sucked
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 10:54 am

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Very well said, both of you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Here is the full review:
Quote :
Ultimatum
Lex Metalis
(Retroactive)
In every mediocre sized city, in every state (or providence), there is a collection of washed out musicians who climb on a stage in a dimly lit, never cleaned dive bar and attempt to cover songs by the metal bands they’ve worshipped since before they could drive. In this case, the band is Ultimatum, the place is Albuquerque, New Mexico, and somehow they managed to make a recording of their sludgy thrash cover songs into an album entitled Lex Metalis. And it’s a pity that their ability to play their instruments decently is overshadowed by their desecrated beyond recognition versions of songs by Metallica, Megadeth, and Motorhead. Let’s just say don’t expect a lot of royalty checks to be cut. [Retroactive] Dan Frazier

Rating: 1

Hardly a review really. More like a short insult and that's about it. Doesn't really tell you much about the album at all.

"mediocre" sized city? What does that mean?

"desecrated beyond recognition" Really? The songs are unrecognizable?

HM strikes again!

Last edited by ultmetal on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:04 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Here is the full review:
Quote :
Ultimatum
Lex Metalis
(Retroactive)
In every mediocre sized city, in every state (or providence), there is a collection of washed out musicians who climb on a stage in a dimly lit, never cleaned dive bar and attempt to cover songs by the metal bands they’ve worshipped since before they could drive. In this case, the band is Ultimatum, the place is Albuquerque, New Mexico, and somehow they managed to make a recording of their sludgy thrash cover songs into an album entitled Lex Metalis. And it’s a pity that their ability to play their instruments decently is overshadowed by their desecrated beyond recognition versions of songs by Metallica, Megadeth, and Motorhead. Let’s just say don’t expect a lot of royalty checks to be cut. [Retroactive] Dan Frazier

I'm all for free speech and "sticking behind my writers", but that's just poor criticism. Review the music and not what you think of the band members.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Here is the full review:
Quote :
Ultimatum
Lex Metalis
(Retroactive)

Hardly a review really. More like a short insult and that's about it. Doesn't really tell you much about the album at all.

"mediocre" sized city? What does that mean?

It was just a paragraph of insults aimed at the band - what crap. Of course, they can write what they want, this is a free county. But I can also write that the review is a jack ass who knows nothing about the band!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:13 pm

I'm gonna kick Dan fraziers Ass!!!! What a review full of crock man, like the size of their city matters?!?! The heck?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:14 pm

He misused the word "mediocre"....DVP should have caught that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5   What the....  The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What the.... The HM Review of Ultimatum Lex Metalis 1-5
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next