Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A strange review of Lex Metalis

Go down 
+5
FlyingV
jerseyultifan+
kethdredd
Stender
ultmetal
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

A strange review of Lex Metalis Empty
PostSubject: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Quote :
Ultimatum: Lex Metalis
Heavy/Thrash Metal
Rating: 3.75/5.0
Retroactive Records
Review: Craig Hartranft, 10.14.2009

For their fifth release, Lex Metalis (latin: metal is law [sic]) Albuquerque metal stalwarts Ultimatum raise their collective horns to their peers from the past. Singer Scott Water (webmaster for nolifetilmetal.com) and company make no bones about loving all things 80's metal. Their tribute includes songs from Metal Church, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Saxon, Metallica, well you get the idea. Generally, Ultimatum pulls every song off with the energy and passion of true believers that makes Lex Metalis more than just a mere homage to classic heavy and thrash metal. Songs like Denim & Leather, Creeping Death, Wrathchild, Powersurge reveal more than their influence upon Ultimatum, but also the soul of a great musical form.

However, the downside to this platter is twofold. First, the production and mix waffles between muddy and hollow sounding like an 80's demo tape. I don't mind reliving the past, but I also want to enjoy it. Second, call his voice third rate Bon Scott attempting some death metal, but I don't think Scott Waters can sing. I found him even more grating than 'Lips' Kudlow of Anvil. Even with these reservations, Ultimatum's Lex Metalis is an awesome tribute to the greats that made heavy metal what it is today. Recommended!

IN SHORT
Ultimatum's tribute to great metal bands of the 80's, Lex Metalis, is better than a kitschy homage: four true believers breathe life and passion into every song.

Craig Hartranft

http://www.dangerdog.com/reviews_2009/ultimatum-lex-metalis-review.php

A strange review. I can understand him not liking my voice. That’s a
personal opinion. No biggie. However, the comment about the production
being “muddy like an 80’s demo tape” is bizarre and way off base. I'm a bit puzzled by some of the reviews this CD is getting recently and am wondering if people are really listening to this thing or are just making stuff up. One German reviewer who claims to be a big "white metal fan" gave the CD a 0/10 and complained about everything from the production to the playing. Just my opinion, but these types of comments aren't "opinion" and are just flat out wrong.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 1:55 pm

hardly 80's demo quality....

That dude is off base I think, the only beef I can see anyone having with it is that the new album didnt feature brand new original Ultimatum music. I was disapointed in that regard slightly but this guy is an idiot.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:28 pm

I wonder if some of these people of listening to pirated compressed versions? Thats the only thing I could think of. I'm a stickler for good production/mastering, in that department Lex doesn't have a problem at all.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:30 pm

WOW, did you see the guys commentary on Grave Robber?
Back to top Go down
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:45 pm

wow! all i can say is "boo hiss" lol! i am figured this guy listened to about a minute of eachone..i agree with everyone..i mean.."muddy 80s demo"???? scott cant sing? i think if he must be listening to some other band! but,know what scott,take the bad review..cuz that only makes you practice that much harder and pour your hearts and souls into greater music and greater shows! dont take this to task at all!! Ultimatum is the best thrash metal band i have heard..period!! and i mean it!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 8:06 pm

kethdredd wrote:
WOW, did you see the guys commentary on Grave Robber?

I did. They gave it a lower score than Lex.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Lex Metalis absolutely smokes! It has not left my CD changer since the day I got it in the mail.
Back to top Go down
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 10:29 pm

with u,man,mine hasnt left the portable cd player.btw "into the pit" and "lex metalis" this metal sista is set for life!!of course,until the next cd comes out!!! A strange review of Lex Metalis 877540
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 10:35 pm

I don't have the album so I really can't comment on it. He said he finds Lips voice gratting. Right there tells you he's a douchebag haha

Scott, your vocals aren't really my cup of tea but I don't think they are bad or you can't sing. It goes with the style of music that you play. If this guy or actually any one else that reviews your album and doesn't really listen to that type of style then they aren't going to like your vocals either way.

I always get leary of sending in cds for reviews because you never know what someone is going to think or even if they actually listen to the thing and give an honest opinion.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 11:23 pm

PheonixREINGDrummer
"If this guy or actually any one else that
reviews your album and doesn't really listen to that type of style then
they aren't going to like your vocals either way.

I always get
leary of sending in cds for reviews because you never know what someone
is going to think or even if they actually listen to the thing and give
an honest opinion."

I totally agree with what wayne just said. That is why I don't like all of these reviewers.

What I see lex metalix, it is an album that wasn't easy to get used to by me. Since the music is totaly ultimated, and you expect them sound certain way it kinds of confused you at first. So I guess this people didn't give it a couple of listens to get it.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 2:52 am

Quite a confusing review, first he rips the quality, the vocals, and then recommends you go buy it.

What?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 8:18 am

Oh, I don't care what he says about my vocals. That's a valid opinion. If he doesn't like it, so be it.

What I find strange about the review is the comments about the production. I wonder what CD he is listening to, because Lex Metalis certainly does not sound like a "muddy and hollow 80's demo". The recording is raw and heavy, but crystal clear. The guitar tone is great. You can hear each and every instrument clearly. There is plenty of separation between the instruments. It rattles the speakers of my Mustang. I know we've had production problems in the past, but with Lex Metalis, the recording and mix is spot on.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 10:18 am

That review is a load of smurf poo! The production on the CD is excellent!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Pretty much nailed it there. Must send some CDs to Craig for review as he seems to know his Metal. A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_biggrin

Ahh sure you have to love reviewers, one guy said that one of my CDs sounded like St. Anger (and not in a good way)

What was that KitKat add from years ago ? ohh yea

Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 3:49 pm

I was just on itunes and just did a quick listen of the album and the production sounds great! He's just on crack. Your vocals sound similar to Steve Souza in certain spots.

PostSubject: Re: A strange review of Lex Metalis   A strange review of Lex Metalis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A strange review of Lex Metalis
Page 1 of 1