Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jimi Hendrix

Go down 
+27
MetalRob331
DevZor
journeyman
James B.
SpectreFate
jstate
Eyesore
jettafiend
mikeinfla
Andy
exact33
chewie
TheGooch
thejokeriv
7thSaviour
mlotek
sam
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
XYZ
assault_attack
Schbopo
skullsmasher
ultmetal
akeldama
manny
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:53 am

That sounds killer!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 1:03 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I think I need this:

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=174884

Experience Hendrix LLC and Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release a restored and newly expanded edition of "Jimi Plays Berkeley" on Blu-ray and DVD, on Tuesday, July 10.

That should be excellent, I'll be excited to see the extra footage.

Be sure to also pick up the "Live At Berkeley" CD which was compiled from 2 nights and contains extra performances not included in the film. It's an excellent live recording in much-improved sound to the previous bootleg issues of the material.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:01 pm

manny wrote:
Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 83628

A film of Jimi Hendrix is being filmed:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/andre-3000-channels-jimi-hendrix-upcoming-biopic-side-article-1.1086306

There's a little bump that needs to be ironed out it seems...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/that-jimi-hendrix-movie-isnt-going-to-have-any-act,73858/

A Hendrix movie with no Hendrix music? Might be an issue, whouldn't you say?

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

A film of Jimi Hendrix is being filmed:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/andre-3000-channels-jimi-hendrix-upcoming-biopic-side-article-1.1086306

There's a little bump that needs to be ironed out it seems...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/that-jimi-hendrix-movie-isnt-going-to-have-any-act,73858/

A Hendrix movie with no Hendrix music? Might be an issue, whouldn't you say?

WTF?!?!?!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:05 pm

I wouldn't get too worried over it. I'm sure once the movie company drops off a coupla of bags with dollar symbols on them on the doorsteps of the Hendrix estate, this "issue" will suddenly disappear. If they've already started the production, a little thing like "music rights" isn't going to stop them now.

That being said, I went back and re-read the initial post about the film and this caught me eye...

Quote :
The film is said to be based on Hendrix's pre-fame years

"Hey, if we make a movie about him before he had a hit, we can do whatever we want musically, right?"

Razz

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 pm

Hopefully this will be a better film then the biopic Showtime made years ago, because the movie was horrid!!! No Hendrix music even a movie about the man, seems almost pointless
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 3:52 pm

manny wrote:
Hopefully this will be a better film then the biopic Showtime made years ago, because the movie was horrid!!! No Hendrix music even a movie about the man, seems almost pointless

lol!

kinda like fruit juice that has no fruit in it.... I kinda wonder how much more about Hendrix there is to tell. I say just appreciate the music for what it is and stop trying to make a buck off him.

mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 am

I think the story needs to be told. If anything it would expose Jimi to a younger generation and probably spike sales of a soundtrack and back catalog. More money for the Hendrix family so if done right I'd love to see a Hendrix movie.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 5:26 pm

A little bit about the "new" Jimi Hendrix album coming out this fall, from his sister:

She believes the multi-genre outfit, which formed a year before the guitar icon’s death, best matches the description he gave for the sound he was looking for.

And she’s offered a glimpse of upcoming Hendrix posthumous album People, Hell and Angels, while reporting there’s much more to come from his estate’s temperature-controlled vault.

Speaking during a promotional campaign to raise funds for Jimi Hendrix Park in Seattle, Janie tells KISW: “What he was trying to do was create this new sound. He told my dad: ‘You’re going to be doubly proud of me.’

“He was bringing all these instruments like he did at Woodstock. The way he was describing it in 1969 was what Earth Wind & Fire became. That’s what we would have had: richer, bigger bands with more sounds and more cultures. There would have been a definite evolution.”

Hendrix would have celebrated his 70th birthday this year. Janie believes: “He’d still be playing music. He’d be doing what he was doing then: encouraging kids to play, buying them guitars. He’d be producing, encouraging – Electric Lady is still a viable studio. Artists are still working in that studio, for the vibe and also because it’s a beautiful studio. When Jimi was alive there were two studios. Now they have five.”

Two years ago his estate, managed by his sister, signed a ten-year deal with Sony resulting in the release of Valleys of Neptune. Two live concert movies will be coming soon, including “pristine” footage from Miami Pop unseen by all but a few eyes.

First comes People, Hell and Angels. Janie explains: “It was Jimi’s title that he wrote down during the time he was creating the songs. There’ll be twelve songs on the album that haven’t been released – or at least those versions have never been released.”

The album, consisting of material recorded around the Valleys of Neptune era, is due out by the end of the year.

She recalls how Hendrix liked to escape from the trappings of stardom when he went home to his family – although even there he couldn’t escape his music.

“He left his guitar in the hotel so he could focus on family,” Janie says. “He felt like he was missing out when he was on the road. We were excited to hear about all the people he was hanging out with, but he was apologetic and shy about his adventures – he wanted to talk about the family and what we were doing.

“He wanted my dad to be on the road with him and have all of us move to New York so he had that family protection, which he wasn’t really feeling from the management.

“We had Jimi on tape, on albums – I don’t know how many albums we went through. But the music was always blasting from our house. Fortunately we lived in a neighbourhood where people were okay with it. But if they weren’t my dad wouldn’t have cared.”
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 7:24 pm

new stuff or just unheard versions. I would be happy with new stuff as opposed to alternative versions.

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 7:37 pm

It's not a good idea to discount alternative versions when it comes to Hendrix. It was common for him to record many different variations of songs, different tempos, different lyrics, sometimes different riffs and different solos looking for that perfect combination (in his mind). Since he was primarily an improvisational artist the same compositions could take on wildly different personalities and character from version to version.

That exploratory journey is a true treasure for us, because more often than not EVERY version he tried has merit and offers a more thorough picture of his art.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 7:49 pm

S.D. wrote:
It's not a good idea to discount alternative versions when it comes to Hendrix. It was common for him to record many different variations of songs, different tempos, different lyrics, sometimes different riffs and different solos looking for that perfect combination (in his mind). Since he was primarily an improvisational artist the same compositions could take on wildly different personalities and character from version to version.

That exploratory journey is a true treasure for us, because more often than not EVERY version he tried has merit and offers a more thorough picture of his art.

I think the alternate versions are ok of stuff i have heard so far but i like the new songs better.

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Since you are just discovering alot of this stuff though, it's all new, so you are hearing it in the best possible way. Getting into Hendrix is a quite the journey and a very rewarding one at that.

The real meat of his catalog is the live material though, that's where the improvisational magic really comes alive.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 pm

S.D. wrote:
Since you are just discovering alot of this stuff though, it's all new, so you are hearing it in the best possible way. Getting into Hendrix is a quite the journey and a very rewarding one at that.

The real meat of his catalog is the live material though, that's where the improvisational magic really comes alive.

yeah - the live material is great.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:07 am

S.D. wrote:

Listen to this man!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:22 pm

"People, Hell & Angels" will be released in March, here is a track by track breakdown on what is on the album.

People, Hell & Angels, - Track by Track

Earth Blues:
Totally unlike the version first issued as part of Rainbow Bridge in 1971, this December 19, 1969 master take features just Hendrix, Billy Cox and Buddy Miles--stripped down funk at its very origin.

Somewhere:
This newly discovered gem was recorded in March 1968 and features Buddy Miles on drums and Stephen Stills on bass. Entirely different from any previous version fans have ever heard.

Hear My Train A Comin':
This superb recording was drawn from Jimi's first ever recording session with Billy Cox and Buddy Miles--the powerhouse rhythm section with whom he would later record the groundbreaking album Band Of Gypsys.
Jimi shared a deep love for the blues with Billy Cox and Buddy Miles. Both musicians understood Jimi's desire to create what he described as a 'new type of blues'. Jimi's menacing lead guitar is the centerpiece of this dramatic addition to his remarkable legacy.

Bleeding Heart:
This Elmore James masterwork had long been a favorite of Jimi's. He had performed the song earlier that year with the Experience in concert at the Royal Albert Hall and had attempted to capture the song in New York studio sessions during the weeks that followed.
Recorded at the same May 1969 session as "Hear My Train A Coming," the track conveys Jimi's firm understanding of the arrangement and tempo he desired. Before they began, Jimi instructed Cox and Miles that he wanted to establish a totally different beat than the standard arrangement. He then kicked off this amazing rendition that was nothing like any other he had ever attempted.

Let Me Move You:
In March 1969, Jimi reached back to another old friend, saxophonist Lonnie Youngblood. Before he was discovered by Chas Chandler in the summer of 1966, Jimi had contributed guitar as a nondescript studio sideman for Youngblood and such infectious rhythm and blues styled singles such as "Soul Food".
This March 1969 session features Hendrix and Youngblood trading licks throughout this never before heard, high velocity rock and soul classic.

Izabella:
In the aftermath of the Woodstock festival, Jimi gathered his new ensemble, Gypsy Sun & Rainbows, at the Hit Factory in August 1969 with engineer Eddie Kramer. "Izabella" had been one of the new songs the guitarist introduced at the Woodstock festival and Jimi was eager to perfect a studio version. This new version is markedly different from the Band Of Gypsys 45 rpm single master issued by Reprise Records in 1970 and features Larry Lee, Jimi's old friend from the famed rhythm & blues 'chitin' circuit', on rhythm guitar.

Easy Blues:
An edited extract of this gorgeous, free flowing instrumental was briefly issued as part of the long-out-of-print 1981 album Nine To The Universe. Now nearly twice as long, the track offers fans the opporutnity to enjoy the dramatic interplay between Jimi, second guitarist Larry Lee, Billy Cox and drummer Mitch Mitchell.

Crash Landing:
Perhaps known as the title song for the controversial 1975 album that featured Hendrix master recordings posthumously overdubbed by session musicians, this April 1969 original recording has never been heard before. Jimi is joined here by Billy Cox and drummer Rocky Isaac of the Cherry People to record this thinly veiled warning to his girlfriend Devon Wilson.

Inside Out:
Jimi was fascinated by the rhythm pattern that would ultimately take form as "Ezy Ryder". Joined here by Mitch Mitchell, Jimi recorded all of the bass and guitar parts for this fascinating song--including a dramatic lead guitar part amplified through a Leslie organ speaker.

Hey Gypsy Boy:
The roots of Jimi's majestic "Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)" trace themselves to this March 1969 recording. Unlike the posthumously overdubbed version briefly issued as part of Midnight Lightning in 1975, this is original recording that features Jimi joined by Buddy Miles.

Mojo Man:
Jimi would lend a hand to Albert & Arthur Allen, the vocalists known as the Ghetto Fighters, whom he had befriended in Harlem long before he achieved fame with the Experience. When the two recorded this inspired, previously unreleased master at the legendary Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama they took it back to Hendrix at Electric Lady Studios. Jimi knew just what to do to elevate the recording beyond contemporary R & B to the new hybrid of rock, rhythm and blues he was celebrated for.

Villanova Junction Blues:
Long before his famous performance of this song at Woodstock, Jimi recorded this studio version with Billy Cox and Buddy Miles at the same May 1969 session which yielded "Hear My Train A Comin'" and "Bleeding Heart" also featured on this album. Never fully finished, the song stands as an example of the fertile ideas he hoped to harness and bring to fruition.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Sounds cool!!!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm

I will be buying this
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 9:10 pm

Ill get it too.

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2013 2:14 am

NPR has the full "People, Hell & Angels" release available for streaming.

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/27/172992228/first-listen-jimi-hendrix-people-hell-and-angels?sc=fb&cc=fmp
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 pm

People, Hell & Angels was released today, most definitely worth getting. There is also a Target exclusive version with 2 bonus tracks.

It is on Spotify as well.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 pm

S.D. wrote:
People, Hell & Angels was released today, most definitely worth getting. There is also a Target exclusive version with 2 bonus tracks.

It is on Spotify as well.

I will grabbing it this week or the next!!! I am looking forward to owning it, and adding to my Hendrix collection, this will make it the 46th Hendrix album in my collection
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:32 am

Interesting Amazon review:

Quote :

This is a very disappointing release that is FAR from “12 new studio recordings” as being advertised by Experience Hendrix. Almost all of these songs have been released in far superior versions on readily available retail releases. They have duplicated multiple songs from the Valleys Of Neptune album they put out just a couple of years ago also, including the second single from that album!

I’ll break down the technical details of each song so you can see what you’re truly getting here.

1. Earth Blues - Several years ago, John McDermott, one of the producers of this album and Hendrix catalog manager said in his book Ultimate Hendrix that this song was “loose” and non-cohesive with it being ultimately abandoned due to tuning and tempo issues. Now he’s changed his opinion to calling it “stripped-down funk.” Interesting change of heart when it comes time to put together a “new Hendrix album.” Additionally, the final studio version mixed by Jimi was released on First Rays Of The New Rising Sun, and then re-released in a deluxe version just a few of years ago. This version on People, Hell and Angels is far inferior and simply a demo that lacks many of the overdubs and embellishments that Jimi himself later added to the version released on First Rays of the New Rising Sun. Confusing as to why they would include this inferior track and call it a “new studio recording.”

2. Somewhere - Firstly, Jimi’s guitar work shreds on this song. However, this song has a lot of technical issues. Listening to the song carefully, especially the last half, it’s easy to notice the amateurish “cut and paste” job Eddie Kramer did on this track, and it’s disconcerting to say the least. This song was made up of several takes, and put together in shoddy fashion. During the breaks after Jimi’s verses, you can hear how his vocals were inaccurately pasted into this song. This is most noticeable at the break around 3:00, his vocals don’t match up and aren’t in time. The timing when the instrumentation comes back in after Jimi’s ending vocals is so off, it makes one wonder if Mr. Kramer has any sense of timing at all. The vocals are from an entirely different take of the song than the instrumentation, which isn’t a problem in and of itself, but Kramer’s mixing of the song is horrible. Also, you can hear how Jimi’s guitar breaks out of the field of sound field a bit in places because it was part of a studio rehearsal, not a “new studio recording,” as advertised. Not something that sounds good played loudly like most Hendrix fans enjoy. And all these issues on the lead single off the album? A version that is actually “in time” was released on the Jimi Hendrix Experience Boxed Set in 2000 in better quality, and the vocals are in time. Can’t believe the shoddy cut and paste jobs they are doing to Jimi’s work, very sad Eddie Kramer

3. Hear My Train A Comin’ - How many times do we need to see this song released? Studio versions of this song have been released at nearly a half-dozen times on official releases by the Hendrix estate over the years, including being released on their last “new Hendrix studio album,” Valleys of Neptune, just a couple of years ago! The song was released twice on the single disc Blues release, again on the Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues album, on The Jimi Hendrix Experience Box-set, etc. Not to mention the numerous live versions that have been released all over the place. This version on People, Hell and Angels is inferior to all of them and is NOT a studio version, this is from a practice run-through session of the band and they are mis-labeling it as a studio version, which is easily observable when listened to. It sounds like it was recorded in a garage and is the first time Jimi got together with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox to practice songs. Keyword being “first time” and “practice.” Sound quality speaks volumes on this one as you hear Jimi’s vocals distort in places.

4. Bleeding Heart - This song was released as a SINGLE off of the Valleys Of Neptune album they released just a couple of years ago and they release it again already? Two times in a row? Yet another studio version was released on South Saturn Delta. Here on People, Hell and Angels we get a far inferior version that is nothing more than a studio rehearsal, not a completed studio recording. The sound quality almost sounds like it was recorded in a bar and there is nothing fantastic about this take.

5. Let Me Love You - One of the truly “new” songs on the album and Jimi doesn't sing a single word in the song. This is actually a Lonnie Youngblood song that Jim just plays guitar on. A good song though.

6. Izabella - This song has been released multiple times. The definitive studio version has already been released on First Rays of The New Rising Sun. An alternate studio version from this same recording session was released on The Experience Hendrix box-set in 2000. They released yet another version on the Burning Desire album. The version we have here on People, Hell and Angels is far inferior to the already released versions.

7. Easy Blues - This is a purely instrumental song released on the Nine To The Universe album. Experience Hendrix claims that this “new extract” is nearly twice as long as the Nine To The Universe release, which is untrue. The Nine To The Universe release was 4:30 and this version is 5:57, a mere 1 minute and 27 seconds longer. It’s the same version, with another minute and a half of instrumental. Not sure if someone forgot how to do arithmetic or what.

8. Crash Landing - This song was released on the album Crash Landing, with the original instrumentation replaced by Alan Douglas, which a lot of people thought was insane to do. Here we get the original version, although Jimi’s vocals have been pasted from another take, and one beat behind, not in time! Eddie Kramer, how are you doing this to multiple songs on the same album? Better yet, how did this pass quality control after that glaring mistake? A shameful hack-job. Additionally, Eddie Kramer (producer) and John McDermott (catalog manager) both stated how horrible this recording was in the book they released, Ultimate Hendrix, stating that this song was “uninspired.” Now that they want to release it as some “newly found gem,” McDermott has changed his position from calling it “uninspired” to saying “it’s really good.” Interesting.

9. Inside Out - Yet another early instrumental version of Ezy Ryder, no vocals at all. They released two more early Ezy Rider jams on the “new studio album,” Valleys Of Neptune, and the Fire CD single from that same album just a couple of years ago! Add in even more Ezy Rider jams released on the Hear My Music and Burning Desire albums, and we’re just about at a half-dozen releases now. So now we’re getting alternate versions of recently released early versions of songs?

10. Hey Gypsy Boy - Released on the Midnight Lightning album with Alan Douglas overdubs, here we have the original version as Jimi intended it, which is nice to hear.

11. Mojo Man - Yet another song that Jimi has no vocals on. This isn’t a Jimi Hendrix song, it’s a Ghetto Fighters song with Jimi guest appearing on rhythm guitar. And when I say “rhythm guitar,” I means exactly that because there are not even any guitar solos by Jimi on this song. Additionally, it’s obvious a lot of tinkering was done to the song long after Jimi’s passing, none of which is very flattering. This song was also already released as a single by the Ghetto Fighters just a mere year ago – Not unreleased by any means.

12. Villanova Junction - John McDermott, one of the producers of this album and Hendrix catalog manager said in his book Ultimate Hendrix that this song was “disjointed,” but in a recent interview flip-flopped and said that it was “a sweet way to bring the record to a close.” This was what I expected to be one of the shining points of the album, but this is merely a 1 minute and 45 second excerpt of this instrumental that fades out in the middle of the jam, unbelievable. For an album that barely clocks in at 50 minutes long, it’s pretty obvious they could have, and should have, included the full Villanova Junction jam. Additionally, there was a 5 minute version of this song released on the Burning Desire album.

To Casual Fans – Avoid this release completely. If you are a casual fan of Jimi Hendrix, this release is going to be sorely disappointing to you as almost all of theses songs have been released in superior versions on other retail releases. Additionally, this collection is not a fair representation as to the quality of Jimi’s studio material. Go with Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland, or First Rays Of The New Rising Sun.

To Completists – Obviously a must-have, but be prepared to be disappointed in order to add this “new studio album,” to your collections when hearing some of the amateur cut and paste jobs on Jimi’s vocals, leaving them off beat in some songs (Somewhere, Crash Landing, etc.). Experience Hendrix created a sub-label called Dagger Records many years ago, which they use to release albums of alternate versions of songs, demos, and songs that didn’t have a place on mainstream studio albums. People, Hell and Angels belongs on that label as a release for Jimi Hendrix completists only.

This is a pretty low cash-grab on the part of Experience Hendrix. In fact, Eddie Kramer, head producer on the project was interviewed on video by Harmony Central after mixing this album down and said “this is the, HOPEFULLY [emphasis added by Kramer], the last of all the studio albums,” which seems to imply he is being coerced in some capacity by Janie Hendrix to arrange inferior albums like this in order to fulfill contractual obligations to Sony. Pretty clear he didn’t want to publicize a collection like this as a studio album, because it’s not. They are duplicating songs that were on the “new studio” album they released just a couple of years ago (Valleys of Neptune), including that album's second single (Bleeding Heart)! And inferior versions of these songs at that.

I was critical of their last release Valleys of Neptune, but still have it 3 stars out of 5 because it did contain some new music. However, this release is just shameful. This is a collection of nearly all alternate (and inferior) versions of songs that have already been released. There is so much duplication against their recent releases and songs that pale in contrast to their already released versions, that it’s clear what’s going on here: Experience Hendrix (Janie Hendrix) is doing everything they can to fulfill the 10 album deal they inked with Sony a few years back and it appears they are trying to slip by far inferior quality material and advertise it as “new studio recordings” to do so. That’s right; they are now contractually obligated to release 10 albums of “new material.” They have released Valleys of Neptune, Live In Cologne, the West Coast Seattle Boy box-set, the Winterland box-set, and now this release. That means they’re only half way to fulfilling this 10 album deal, so this is probably only the beginning of a string of horrid releases like this.

Additionally, it’s important to note that there is still some good music contained on this album, but it’s not a studio album as advertised, not even close. This is a disjointed collection of demos, alternate takes, jam sessions & rehearsals, already released songs, instrumentals, and tracks that weren’t even Hendrix songs, but rather tracks he guest appeared on only playing guitar – All inferior to their already released counterparts. If released as an “alternate versions” collection or as a disc in a rarities box set, this would be a real gem and Hendrix completists like me would be happy to purchase an accurately billed release, aside from the few tracks that have horrible timing issues due to amateurish “cut & paste” jobs on Jimi’s vocals. However, the advertising of this being a “new studio album,” is going to do nothing but alienate many would be Jimi fans when they hear the inferior quality of these recordings and think that’s how Jimi’s “studio” material sounds.

I’m being very generous in giving this album two stars despite of the inferior versions of already released songs included on People, Hell and Angels, and the amateurish (and off beat) pasting of Jimi’s vocals into many of the songs.
A shame.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 am

I'm getting this more as an "alternative collection" than anything. Cash grab - sure. But it's Hendrix so they can grab my cash. Anyone have the Target exclusive and how is the bonus song? Worth picking up at Target?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I dunno. Because it's Jimi, I guess most folks will give him a pass on this, but just because he kept the tape rolling for every single strum, fart and hiccup in the studio doesn't mean it needs to be released to the public. Maybe some things are best kept in the vaults.

But hey, that's just one guy's opinion.

That Amazon review sounds like what I said years ago. At this point, it seems as if they are scrapping together every possible piece of tape available and trying to make something of it, regardless of quality. It is a shame really.

I do like Valleys of Neptune, but I found it cheap in the used bins. Don't know that I'll be as inclined to pick up this new one.

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next