Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jimi Hendrix

Go down 
+27
MetalRob331
DevZor
journeyman
James B.
SpectreFate
jstate
Eyesore
jettafiend
mikeinfla
Andy
exact33
chewie
TheGooch
thejokeriv
7thSaviour
mlotek
sam
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
XYZ
assault_attack
Schbopo
skullsmasher
ultmetal
akeldama
manny
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 am

Everybody and their mother knows these are demos, alternative takes and jam sessions, which is not surprising since the man died in 1970 at the age of 27.

Inferior work my ass!!!!!

I would dismantle this reviewer, but the real shame was when Alan " Satan" Douglas was in charge of the estate and shoddy job that hack did.

This album is meant to be a glimpse at the man's creative process and Eddie Kramer took his time to create this album, which was created from Hendrix's vast amount of recording, outtakes etc. Hendrix himself would put together different takes from different sessions. Nothing new, artist still do this.

I have heard the album and I like it, and I think Eddie Kramer's ears work just fine, unlike this reviewer!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:53 am

I have to heartily disagree with that Amazon review, especially since many of his comments are completely inaccurate. For instance the claim that on "Crash Landing" the vocals have been pasted in from another take, there were multiple takes recorded during that session and Jimi was experimenting on phrasing the vocals either on the beat or behind the beat...I have bootleg session reels from that date and you can hear the experimentation with timing. It's quite obvious the writer of that review is just looking to spew vitriol and he's not nearly as learned as he thinks he his (and he clearly has no understanding of the recording process). The glory of the internet when any buffoon suddenly becomes an "expert".

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 am

manny wrote:
Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 83628

A film of Jimi Hendrix is being filmed:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/andre-3000-channels-jimi-hendrix-upcoming-biopic-side-article-1.1086306

Anyone know what became of this? Still happening?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 pm

S.D. wrote:
I have to heartily disagree with that Amazon review, especially since many of his comments are completely inaccurate. For instance the claim that on "Crash Landing" the vocals have been pasted in from another take, there were multiple takes recorded during that session and Jimi was experimenting on phrasing the vocals either on the beat or behind the beat...I have bootleg session reels from that date and you can hear the experimentation with timing. It's quite obvious the writer of that review is just looking to spew vitriol and he's not nearly as learned as he thinks he his (and he clearly has no understanding of the recording process). The glory of the internet when any buffoon suddenly becomes an "expert".

Or could it be that he's just a passionate fan-boy and is genuinely un-happy with the finished result? Is it not possible to love something so much that it's impossible not to criticize when that person or object fails to live up to expectations?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/andre-3000-channels-jimi-hendrix-upcoming-biopic-side-article-1.1086306

Don't hold your breathe, they are having trouble finding a distributor for the film.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Or could it be that he's just a passionate fan-boy and is genuinely un-happy with the finished result? Is it not possible to love something so much that it's impossible not to criticize when that person or object fails to live up to expectations?

When it comes to Hendrix, I am guilty as charged about your above statement but as S.D. pointed out there are many many inaccuries in the review.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 pm

BTW MG, this is a quote from Eddie Kramer, regarding this album and any future releases, at least studio cuts:

"People, Hell & Angels," out Tuesday, will be the last album of Hendrix's unreleased studio material, according to Eddie Kramer, the engineer who recorded most of Hendrix's music during his brief but spectacular career. That ends a four-decade run of posthumous releases by an artist whose legacy remains as vital and vibrant now as it was at the time of his death
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:14 pm

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

Don't hold your breathe, they are having trouble finding a distributor for the film.

Did they settle the music issue? I can't find anything recent on the web, but last I read, the Hendrix family, who runs the estate, haven't approved use of Jimi's music in the film. A Hendrix movie without Hendrix music is gonna be a tough sell, isn't it?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

Did they settle the music issue? I can't find anything recent on the web, but last I read, the Hendrix family, who runs the estate, haven't approved use of Jimi's music in the film. A Hendrix movie without Hendrix music is gonna be a tough sell, isn't it?

No approval of the music has been granted nor likely to be granted. The family wants strict control over any proposed script or movie made about Hendrix, if the music is to be granted permission to use.

That is a hard sell for any director to agree to.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:24 pm

manny wrote:
BTW MG, this is a quote from Eddie Kramer, regarding this album and any future releases, at least studio cuts:

"People, Hell & Angels," out Tuesday, will be the last album of Hendrix's unreleased studio material, according to Eddie Kramer, the engineer who recorded most of Hendrix's music during his brief but spectacular career. That ends a four-decade run of posthumous releases by an artist whose legacy remains as vital and vibrant now as it was at the time of his death

Which means his contract to work with the Hendrix estate has run out. He personally won't be working on anymore "unreleased material", but someone will find a way to squeeze more blood from that stone. Razz

As far as the Amazon review goes, I just find it amusing that you and SD are quick to discredit the guy when his opinions seem just as valid as you guys. It's just 2 sides of the same coin as far as I'm concerned. Is the guy an "internet expert"? I don't know anymore than SD may be. They can both make valid points for or against these releases.

In the end, it's all in the ear of the beholder. If it makes your nipples twirl like propellars hearing it, go for it. If it makes your scrotum shrivel in disgust, don't buy it.

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 pm

My take on People, Hell & Angels.

1. Earth Blues - The completed version of this track had layers and layers of overdubs which I always thought buried the arrangement somewhat, it's refreshing to hear this stripped-down take.

2. Somewhere - A different take on this song was previously issued in the "Experience" boxset, this later recording features different backing musicians (including Stephen Stills). An enjoyable version with typically brilliant guitar work.

3. Hear My Train A Comin' - One of the songs Hendrix recorded the most, there are better versions but there is nothing wrong with this take and of course his solos are always different.

4. Bleeding Heart - This one KILLS! A version of this track was previously issued on South Saturn Delta but here has a much dirtier funk groove and is one of the highlights of the album.

5. Let Me Move You - This one is Hendrix as a sideman, not the best cut on the album but the ending jam is of the highest quality.

6. Izabella - Like "Earth Blues" mentioned earlier this song had copious overdubs applied when Hendrix finished it, this version is more akin to how the song was performed live and it's a joy to really hear that groove without all the added ornamentation.

7. Easy Blues - This one is ESSENTIAL, a great instrumental performance with Hendrix showing off the more jazz-centric part of his guitar playing, a completely improvised take that is just stunning in the mastery of his guitar.

8. Crash Landing - While it's obvious the vocal take is a little rough the music is amazing and finally you can hear this track without Alan Douglas adding extra studio musicians to polish it up.

9. Inside Out - Love this instrumental take on the structure of Ezy Rider, Hendrix recorded one of the guitar parts through a Leslie speaker and the effect is CREEPY. Very enjoyable.

10. Hey Gypsy Boy - Another one to add to the essential pile, beautiful understated slow jam and one of the best Hendrix songs to come out posthumously. This song would later develop into Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) but this earlier version is so different that it is essentially a completely different song.

11. Mojo Man - Another "Hendrix as sideman" track, this is very much in the Stax soul variety with lots of thrilling Hendrix guitar on display and a cracking horn section backing him up.

12. Villanova Junction Blues - A short solo guitar instrumental version that serves as a coda to the album.

Like I stated above a couple of these tracks are kind of superfluous (Hear My Train and Let Me Move You) and probably could have been replaced with some of the Dagger Records released material, but for the most part this is a very enjoyable collection of tunes that contains several real gems. There is nothing "bad" on this collection, nothing that should have remained on the shelf.

The joy of Hendrix is that he did many arrangements of his songs, recording multiple takes (sometimes many months apart) with different lineups of musicians in his search for the definitive version. With an artist of his caliber these earlier "work in progress" versions are just as essential to hear as the finished, polished takes...they take you inside the creative process of one of the most groundbreaking musicians in history.

** - I make no claims to be an "expert", I'm basing my view on 30 years experience listening to the music of Jimi Hendrix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Which means his contract to work with the Hendrix estate has run out. He personally won't be working on anymore "unreleased material", but someone will find a way to squeeze more blood from that stone. Razz

Janie Hendrix stated earlier this week that future Hendrix releases will come out via Dagger Records which is the mail-order-only site the family maintains. They will not be available in stores.

http://www.daggerrecords.com/
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Now your review of the album is certainly more positive than the Amazon guy, but does it make it more valid?

Should yours be discredited by some ass-hats on a message board because it was "quite obvious the writer of that review is just a rampant fan with a man-crush on all things Hendrix and he's not nearly as savvy as he thinks he his (and he clearly has no understanding of the record business and their shady cash-grabbing techniques). The glory of the internet when any fan-boy suddenly becomes an "expert".

2 sides of the coin, guys. 2 different takes on this new album and quite frankly, neither one is inspiring me to rush out and grab this album. Razz

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 1:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Janie Hendrix stated earlier this week that future Hendrix releases will come out via Dagger Records which is the mail-order-only site the family maintains. They will not be available in stores.

So what does that mean? Eddie Kramer is talking out his ass about no more releases? Or Janie Hendrix is releasing more material, but Eddie won't be involved? What difference does it make if they're available in a store or on-line?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Disappearing posts. Spooky stuff.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 1:54 pm

Nothing to see here. Move along, people, move along.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 1:57 pm

No need for me to even try and defend my viewpoint, I'd just be accused of being a tiresome, elitist snob yet again.

As for the Hendrix release just go listen to it on Spotify and make up your own minds. I have nothing further to contribute.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

So what does that mean? Eddie Kramer is talking out his ass about no more releases? Or Janie Hendrix is releasing more material, but Eddie won't be involved? What difference does it make if they're available in a store or on-line?

It means two things, Eddie Kramer will be involved but the stuff available on Dagger Records which is their on line label is made for fanboys like myself with releases that would not have wide commerical appeal. Some of their releases are bootleg releases where the sound quality is not up usual standards or instrumentals that are really excellent but not going to make for a platinum selling disc.

Also the estate will continue release live albums and DVD/Blu Ray's for the next decade or so. These live albums will be released by regular channels. The reason is, besides the fact they sell well, is that fans demand them and mainly is because they sell well, no two Hendrix live concerts where ever the same.

Also MG, you should know my love for Hendrix runs so deep, it would be hard for me to say anything bad about the man's music. There are a few releases, now long out of print I would tell you stay away from but overall I have not been disappointed by the releases the estate has released since the family took over.

But as far as the left over studio cuts, the release makes it official that well has now gone dry.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Fair enough. I'm out. Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 337331

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 2:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fair enough. I'm out. Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 337331

Wait til you see my review of the Geoff Tate Experience's "Songs of Hendrix featuring the Voice of Queensryche"!!!!!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12605

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 4:27 pm

I have no interest in any more alternate versions of Jimi's material anymore unless it is from a live setting. I question the validity of how much is Hendrix or how much of the "alternate" version was from THEN and how much is from NOW. I have enough LIVE vinyl bootlegs to make an educated guess on whether something is legitimate from a concert release. I have read to much over the years from varied sources that there really wasn't much of substance left to release and here we are 40 years later and "stuff" keeps coming.

I will cop to the fact that if this is found used for cheap, it is on.

My response is not knocking anybody's opinion by no means whatsoever. I dig Hendrix alot but remain happy with what I own already. The prospect of new live DVD's is kewl in my book all day long.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 pm

James B. wrote:

I have no interest in any more alternate versions of Jimi's material anymore unless it is from a live setting. I question the validity of how much is Hendrix or how much of the "alternate" version was from THEN and how much is from NOW. I have enough LIVE vinyl bootlegs to make an educated guess on whether something is legitimate from a concert release. I have read to much over the years from varied sources that there really wasn't much of substance left to release and here we are 40 years later and "stuff" keeps coming.

I will cop to the fact that if this is found used for cheap, it is on.

My response is not knocking anybody's opinion by no means whatsoever. I dig Hendrix alot but remain happy with what I own already. The prospect of new live DVD's is kewl in my book all day long.

Well MG pegged me correctly where I am such a Hendrix fanboy, that in my eyes (ears) he could do no wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 pm

All the posthumous studio Hendrix released stuff supervised by Experience Hendrix:

First Rays Of The New Rising Sun (1997) - consists of recordings completed by Hendrix prior to his death.

South Saturn Delta (1997) - combination of completed recordings & demos

Valleys Of Neptune (2010) - demos & rehearsal recordings

People, Hell & Angels (2013) - demos & rehearsal recordings

Dagger Records:

The Baggy's Rehearsal Sessions (2002) - recorded rehearsals of the Band Of Gypsys lineup prior to appearing at The Fillmore East on Dec, 31 1969

Hear My Music (2004) - all instrumental studio recordings & rehearsals

Morning Symphony Ideas (2005) - All instrumental studio recordings & home demos

Burning Desire (2006) - All instrumental studio recordings, rehearsals & home demos

There are also 2 box sets containing quite a bit of studio recordings. The Jimi Hendrix Experience (purple box) (2000) covers only the Experience lineup of the band and West Coast Seattle Boy (2010) which primarily covers his pre-Experience recordings as a sideman. These boxes are about half studio/half live.

** It is important to note that several of the posthumous Hendrix releases from the mid-70s were not the original versions, they were augmented with session players Alan Douglas brought in, often erasing contributions by the original players. These releases included Crash Landing & Midnight Lightning and should be avoided. The mid-90s release Voodoo Soup was another one Douglas brought in studio musicians and should also be avoided. All of these recordings have since been reissued by Experience Hendrix in their original form.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12605

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks for the info Shawn

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 6:32 pm

i listened to some samples from People, Hell & Angels and Ill get it. I am not the fanboy like Shawn or Manny but i really enjoy the music.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jimi Hendrix   Jimi Hendrix - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jimi Hendrix
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next