Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?

Go down 
+40
allthingsmetal
Metalgiant
ultmetal
SlaytanicPOWER
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
stepcousin
metalken
nevermore
jstate
Wargod
exact33
DallasBlack
James B.
MoonChild
chewie
onrypt
Joe
Grimmo
bassman
mez
Leatherface
thejokeriv
mc666
shamgar75
Alex Dee Rokket
Schbopo
MetalGuy71
JBall_Z
Gilbert
manny
adrian
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
GrandNational
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
tohostudios
krokus
Troublezone
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 2:58 am

"It's something in my blood, wouldn't change it if I could" Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 604261
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 3:25 am

Almost 38 and still going strong, don't think it is going to change.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 4:16 am

I think i'll always love Sabbath and Van Halen.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 7:45 am

I am 40 years old and still love metal, I have branched out and listened to other genres blues, jazz, pop, etc but metal is still my first live and still gets my blood pumping, and even at my age when a favorite bands of mine release a new album I still get excited/

I also love how the music we all love, will never die, it keeps going and generation after generation discovers metal, both the classics and newer bands.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:12 am

In my home, you might hear Jefferson Airplane at sumrise, followed by a lil Motorhead while breakfast is cooking up. Then some Grateful Dead...Commander Cody...NRPS...and the like with a lil Dark Angel and Death Angel to get the blood pumping. Throw some lunch down the neck with some Robert Johnson, Sonny Boy, or John Lee Hooker in the background. Then you might ask me to turn up "shout at the devil" or "steel the light" or "don't take no for an answer" before we dive into Merciful Fate or Celtic Frost. Jammin to some UFO or Thin Lizzy while dinner is prepared works more often than not cause my ol' lady can handle that. Then while we sup', it's praise and worship music in the background.
While the woman winds down in her craft room or digs a movie in the living area, I go in my den and read while Zeppelin or Rush adds ambiance. If she is gonna go hang with a g/f, I will practice my drums. Which usually consists of playing along to a regiment of stuff from ABB, Rory Gallagher, Kansas, to lots of old school style thrash. (I like the mix of tempo and groove as opposed to just straight up speed for the whole song, though that is a good workout, all-be-it boring)

The point, lots of flavors kicking off here, but more often than not... I am posted up someplace (home or highway) crankin up the metal. So to answer the question, in my world "nope".

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:26 am

God thing about being a metalhead, is that you'll always stay a kid. I'm one myself listening to music
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:28 am

Metal all the way. While I dabble more and more into melodic hard rock and AOR, metal will always be number 1 in my book. I have moved away from death and thrash in the past but have come back to it. My music listening is so diverse I don't see myself ever getting tired of any of the genres I listen to.

Funny, when I got into metal around the time my parents separated, my mom's boyfriend at the time (now her husband) insisted that my growing love for metal was just a phase. Well, it's been almost 20 years since I heard my first metal song, so much for that theory.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 am

manny wrote:
I am 40 years old and still love metal, I have branched out and listened to other genres blues, jazz, pop, etc but metal is still my first live and still gets my blood pumping, and even at my age when a favorite bands of mine release a new album I still get excited/

I also love how the music we all love, will never die, it keeps going and generation after generation discovers metal, both the classics and newer bands.

I am the same way with loving metal but I like a lot of other stuff too. I think as genres of metal rise and go down, Ill be there listening to the stuff I like. The question is - how will all of those cds fit in the retirement home??

JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 11:46 am

I am almost 46 years old and I still listen to metal. Sometimes I think I might be a little weird because there are not a lot of people I know personally who still enjoy the kind of music I like. They may still enjoy the artists we grew up with, but could care less about new music. That's one of the reasons I like this forum. It reminds me that I'm not alone. There are lots of people, many around my age, who share my passion. Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 604261
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Who is the oldest member of this board anyway? Razz

Toho Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 387733

Haha,just kidding dude.

I think Wargod has me beat.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:21 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
I am almost 46 years old and I still listen to metal. Sometimes I think I might be a little weird because there are not a lot of people I know personally who still enjoy the kind of music I like. They may still enjoy the artists we grew up with, but could care less about new music. That's one of the reasons I like this forum. It reminds me that I'm not alone. There are lots of people, many around my age, who share my passion. Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 604261

I know exactly how you feel. Most of the people I know around my age still like Rush, Kiss, Queen, Maiden, Priest, etc, etc. They've never heard of Hardcore Superstar, The Last Vegas, Airbourne, Avenged Sevenfold or any of a gazillion other newer bands that I crank. I still like the older stuff as well but I love discovering new bands.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Nope never happen. I'm soon to be 52 and I'm into metal more now than when I was younger I also listen to blues as much but metal is my first love. Was thinking about this the other day and what will happen to my collection whn I die!

Wargod51
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 1:28 pm

You could will it to me and I would lovingly think of you everytime I crank it.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 3:45 pm

I'm guessing my hearing will give out long before my metal listening days are done. The older I get the more love/appreciation I have for it (and really all genres of music). Strangely, I'm into metal things now that I never was before such as death metal. I find myself getting into "harder" things rather than "softer" the older I get. I'll never get tired of discovering either things I missed the first time or new things. I always have this fear that there are these killer albums out there that I've yet to find. That pursuit will never end.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 4:57 pm

I'm 41 and have been into metal since I was a kid. I love the music and there's still so much great music to discover whether it's newer or older bands. I don't think about an age or a day that I'll stop listening.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Who is the oldest member of this board anyway? Razz

Toho Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 387733

Haha,just kidding dude.

I think Wargod has me beat.

WG is now changing his birthdate as we speak...

metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Well, I am 45, been listening to heavy metal for some odd 32/33 years! Do not foresee myself not listening to it.
I was at a Blind Guardian show last night and there were guys easily in the mid to late 50's in the audience. Let's me know that I have at least a good 15 or so years at the very least.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 7:44 am

I'm so past the whole "metal til I die!!" thing, I still love tons of old thrash and heavy metal but my musical tastes have grow so much more lately. There is so much great music in this world, why limit yourself to the same peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day of your life. rock music in general is a long buffet table that stretches out and never ends....
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 7:48 am

I don't see it as limiting yourself to anything if you genuinely love metal. At the same time, there is also nothing wrong with listening to other genres that you like.

But the way I read this thread is whether or not metal for you is a transitory phase.

I can only speak for myself and say that no it's not just a phase for me, I love heavy music and I like all sorts of heavy music both older and modern stuff - to me it's the riffs, the solos, the heavy pounding drums, that matter most. I cannot get into pop or techno or such similar styles as they do not have the type of arrangements I like.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:30 am

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I don't see it as limiting yourself to anything if you genuinely love metal. At the same time, there is also nothing wrong with listening to other genres that you like.

But the way I read this thread is whether or not metal for you is a transitory phase.

I can only speak for myself and say that no it's not just a phase for me, I love heavy music and I like all sorts of heavy music both older and modern stuff - to me it's the riffs, the solos, the heavy pounding drums, that matter most. I cannot get into pop or techno or such similar styles as they do not have the type of arrangements I like.

I certainly agree that for most here, metal is a not a 'fad' that will come and go. I think most metal fans are in it for the long haul. I certainly enjoy other forms of music but I keep coming back to metal time and time again.

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 11:51 am

I remember being told as a teen it was a phase and for awhile I kind of thought i'd get over it. Now I plan on crapping my pants at the old folks home while cranking Crazy Train.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 11:53 am

TheNazgul wrote:
I remember being told as a teen it was a phase and for awhile I kind of thought i'd get over it. Now I plan on crapping my pants at the old folks home while cranking Crazy Train.

and we will be shouting 'turn it up!!'

Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Nowadays I don't listen to nearly as much metal as I used to. It's something I have to be in the mood for.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 10:27 pm

Poser. Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 352445
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 2:15 am

I've been a Hard Rock and Heavy Metal fanatic for 38 years now. I like other stuff as well, but nothing can really touch the loud stuff for me.
I do see myself easing off on the collecting, and depending more on the older music, which I admit is sad, but it really has more to do with the realities of retirement planning and economics than it does stogginess or lack of enthusiasm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next