Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?

Go down 
+40
allthingsmetal
Metalgiant
ultmetal
SlaytanicPOWER
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
stepcousin
metalken
nevermore
jstate
Wargod
exact33
DallasBlack
James B.
MoonChild
chewie
onrypt
Joe
Grimmo
bassman
mez
Leatherface
thejokeriv
mc666
shamgar75
Alex Dee Rokket
Schbopo
MetalGuy71
JBall_Z
Gilbert
manny
adrian
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
GrandNational
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
tohostudios
krokus
Troublezone
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 1:24 am

Why should we link Metal to age, job, social status, marriage...?

You like it? Just go for it!

Hell, my friend from law school, who happens to be a judge at a criminal Court now, is a big fan of Gangsta RAP!!!
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 7:13 am

Metal till I die...

Look at Dio... age 67!
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:17 am

When Judas Priest calls it quits, so will I.

Wait a minute...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:03 am

My wife is waiting for the answer to this question herself.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:17 am

When I become too senile to know the difference between music styles. I can picture it right now: I'm at the old folks home listening to Slim Whitman while throwing up the horns and headbanging.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metalgiant
Metal novice
Metal novice
Metalgiant

Number of posts : 78

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Yes with the age of 125, think this is the biological maxium age I can reach. lol!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:54 pm

ultmetal wrote:

my wife is wondering that about a lot of things I do Smile

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 1:14 pm

When hell freezes over......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 1:15 pm

I hear 2012 is the end so .............
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Let's see... surprised

we had the stone age...
...the iron age
...the bronze age
...the dark age
...the middle ages
...the victorian age
...the industrial age
...the ga-hey nineties
...the roaring 20's
...the great depression
...the atomic age
...the space age
...the computer age
and last but not least...the metal age headbanger

The first year of that is still in debate

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:37 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Is your wife wanting you to stop listening?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:42 pm

James B. wrote:
Let's see... surprised

we had the stone age...
...the iron age
...the bronze age
...the dark age
...the middle ages
...the victorian age
...the industrial age
...the ga-hey nineties
...the roaring 20's
...the great depression
...the atomic age
...the space age
...the computer age
and last but not least...the metal age headbanger

The first year of that is still in debate

You can't trust the mags and the people that lived through it to tell you the true year the Metal age started......
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Looks like the fans show no sign of stopping when it comes to listening to metal. The new issue is... When is the age when the bands stop making music? (like shawn posted)
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:17 pm

I have not been able to get through all the posts in this thread yet (sorry as I'm sure my following sentiments have been covered).

I am 43 years of age and have always loved metal music. It is the one style of music, IMO, that can actually be used as a type of personality descriptor (except maybe 'country' as well).

I feel it is part of who I am. Nothing strikes me inside the way metal music does. It has always been my escape. Whether I'm stressed, or geeked up, or sad, or frustrated, etc it is what I want to listen to. Just sit and listen to it. It has always been cathartic for me and I assume it always will be. Nothing fills that gap for me.

True metalheads are not into it b/c it is what is popular or is a fad of any kind (although those wankers come and go). I never remember hearing a true metalhead talk about how during such and such a summer he was really into, say, 'demolition hammer' as though it was something in the past and/or never to happen again.

Yesterday for example, I drove around listening to Judas Priest (sin after sin) and then Brain Drill and then the new Forbidden, and then the Rods. It just all goes together for me. I love the old and I love the new. And I keep discovering bands of all eras. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Quote :
Yes. 59.

After which I will change to rap.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Lari wrote:
Quote :
Yes. 59.

or country ? the old joke goes like this.........country and rap=crap

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:13 pm

James B. wrote:
Lari wrote:
Quote :
Yes. 59.

or country ? the old joke goes like this.........country and rap=crap

Laughing very hard

Anyone else remember this skit?
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:31 pm

No, I will not stop. It's in my blood, it's my thought process. To stop listening to it would be akin to a kind of death in my life.

Metal is an art. It has dignity, power, a sort of base truth, and no-nonsense realness. If someone hasn't experienced the discovery of it, then they'll never "get" it. Ever. Folks who say they "used to be" a metalhead never truly knew what they were listening to. Kind of like someone who has a Picasso in their house and thinks it's just some mass-produced print that someone bought at Hobby Lobby. It looks nice on the wall and it's just a picture. No, it's worth so much more than that, but they just don't get it.

I just smile when I hear people say things like "You still haven't outgrown that stuff?" as they listen to their trendy radio music and hang out with all of their dozens of other like-minded folk.

I almost feel sorry for them.

Almost.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:16 am

Metal is dead. Get over it. You young'uns need to get hip with what is current and "in the now". If you do not dig Fergie or [insert whatever is going on at this moment - sorry, this is a joke post and I cannot think of another trendy artist... but feel free to put in a GREAT power metal band here, if you want to], then how do you think you will be cool amongst your peers???? GET WITH IT ALREADY!!!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 8:13 am

metalheaded wrote:

I just smile when I hear people say things like "You still haven't outgrown that stuff?" as they listen to their trendy radio music and hang out with all of their dozens of other like-minded folk.

although the same can be said just about any fans of a type of music to be fair. For all the 'we are rebels and individuals' mantra out there, metalheads sure do spend a lot of time with other people talking about the music...

metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:07 pm

That is a good question...

Here's the thing, if I happen to ever stop listening to Metal music, I would never turn my back on the genre. In other words, Metal has been a part of my life for the better part of 27 years. And though it's not been a part of my EVERYDAY life, like it was for my teen and twenties, I will always have a reverence for this truly great music.

I think that I'm more selective in not only the Metal music which I listen to these days, but music overall. Since last April, I've decided to change my approach to life. One of those sweeping changes is to stop being so cynical, accept change, live aggressively (live every day to its fullest mentality), and to overall, "Live better & love better".

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:25 pm

I think the difference for me personally, is that when I was a young teenager, I rarely would go outside the genre of metal/hard rock/punk etc, it was all consuming. Of course at that age I also could afford to spend time being consumed by my interest, no wife, kids, real job etc, and a band like Genesis I did not give the time of day too because they were not 'heavy' enough, which I realize is a dumbass reason not to like a band.

As I have gotten older, I listen to all kinds of music that the kid I was back then would have dreamed of, your taste in music, at least my case got broader.

Still love the bands I grew up with but added lots of new bands and I am still rediscovering old bands that I missed the first time around, and personally I will listen to metal til I take my dirt nap.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:43 pm

There was a time when I thought I would be "Metal til I die!!" As I get older, I still have a place in my heart (and my CD collection) for Metal...but I listen to less and less of it generally.

Not long ago, I made a thread about how there were no bands on my iPod that were formed in the last 10 years. Even if the album was new, the band was 10+ years old. I think that speaks a lot. When I hear new Metal (Prog, Traditional, Doom, whatever) I hear things I think are good...but nothing I want to dive into and collect and become a fan of. The Metal bands in my collection that I reach for even semi-regularly are all well over 10 years old, some over 30/40 years old. The "newest" band in terms of when they formed that I listen to regularly is probably Katatonia...and they formed 19 years ago.

So, Metal will always be in my heart and in my life, but it's visible presence gets smaller and smaller over time...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:59 pm

I like some modern metal/hard rock bands but in my case I usually reach out for classic metal/hard rock bands I think in my case I have a more emotional attachment to say AC/DC or Black Sabbath then I do Avenged Sevenfold for example and also because I am getting old. Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 251456
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 1:04 pm

manny wrote:
I think the difference for me personally, is that when I was a young teenager, I rarely would go outside the genre of metal/hard rock/punk etc, it was all consuming. Of course at that age I also could afford to spend time being consumed by my interest, no wife, kids, real job etc, and a band like Genesis I did not give the time of day too because they were not 'heavy' enough, which I realize is a dumbass reason not to like a band.

As I have gotten older, I listen to all kinds of music that the kid I was back then would have dreamed of, your taste in music, at least my case got broader.

Still love the bands I grew up with but added lots of new bands and I am still rediscovering old bands that I missed the first time around, and personally I will listen to metal til I take my dirt nap.

I told my wife I want to be buried with my cds Smile

I think I will listen to metal until I dont enjoy it anymore and then I will stop.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next