Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?

Go down 
+40
allthingsmetal
Metalgiant
ultmetal
SlaytanicPOWER
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
stepcousin
metalken
nevermore
jstate
Wargod
exact33
DallasBlack
James B.
MoonChild
chewie
onrypt
Joe
Grimmo
bassman
mez
Leatherface
thejokeriv
mc666
shamgar75
Alex Dee Rokket
Schbopo
MetalGuy71
JBall_Z
Gilbert
manny
adrian
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
GrandNational
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
tohostudios
krokus
Troublezone
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Evile are one of the newer bands that have a strong 80's connection. I really like their albums so far!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Blues is an early favorite of mine as well, I just don't have nearly the amount of it as I do hard rock & heavy metal. I have even less jazz, but that's gonna change.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Schbopo wrote:

Is that code that you don't listen to metal anymore? Since you're 16... Wink
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:44 pm

I seriously doubt I'll ever stop listening to metal.

I have been listening to metal for the better part of the last 15 years and I keep discovering new bands to listen to, and constantly adding more albums to my evergrowing cd collection from bands across all genres of metal.

I don't like any other genre of music nearly as much as metal. I like some Classical music and I like some movie soundtracks, particularly those written by Jerry Goldsmith and Basil Poledouris.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
I have been listening to metal for the better part of the last 15 years

What a pup! haha!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:50 pm

I find that the older I get the more open I am to music that's not even remotely heavy or hard rock. Bruce Hornsby for instance; I don't much like his poppy early stuff but the jazz he produced after that sits well in my ears.

Alabama 3 is another one. Self-described as "sweet, pretty, country, acid-house music". I wouldn't have given the band more than 10 seconds 15 years ago. Now they're one of my favorites. BTW, anyone who watched the Sopranos has heard this band. They did the theme song. "Woke up this morning....got myself a gun..."

Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Never!!! Metal will live on in your veins forever Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:37 pm

i doubt i'll make it past 40 but if i do, i play my music so loud now that i wont be able to hear anything when i get old anyway.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:59 pm

No way - I will be listening to Metal until my grave!!!!!!!! In fact, I want METAL played at my funeral!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 7:01 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
No way - I will be listening to Metal until my grave!!!!!!!! In fact, I want METAL played at my funeral!!!!!!!!

Funeral doom?
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 7:15 pm

I can't see myself stopping anytime soon. I'll be in a nursing home somewhere, toothless, soiling myself and still listening to Sanctuary's Refuge Denied. headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Given the price of Sanctuary albums nowadays, you might end up retiring a very rich man lol
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Troublezone wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Funeral doom?

LOL!!!!! I will have to make a play list!!!!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

Is that code that you don't listen to metal anymore?

Yeah, pretty much.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 10:07 pm

In my experience many of my friends that grew up listening to this stuff and going to concerts and whatnot have lost interest. Not all of them but many have just got to a point where music is just not important to them anymore. So not speaking for myslef, but just have lost many people share the love of music with and also friends to go to concerts with as well.

Heck Overkill was here in Pittsburgh right before Thanksgiving and I had no one to go with, so I stayed home Sad

Anyhow, for me personally I have gravitated more to metal/rock and even some old school thrash more recently than where I was when I was younger. I am not a fan of the newer stuff, but thanks to this forum and Ults site, I have discovered a ton of bands that I never listened to growing up, like Anvil, Nevermore, and get this Motorhead! Despite having seen them 2 times before even listening, so I guess it just depends on the person really. For me music will always play an important role in my life, no matter the age.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, I've made it to 40 and still like metal, so I don't see that changing anytime soon. However, it's just one of several styles of music that move me.

When I was a teenager I was a fanatic, lived and breathed metal, that's what I liked and most of my friends listened to. As I grew older and traveled around, I got turned on to lots of great music from different genres and my fanaticism changed directions. Now I feel like I've attained a healthy balance of the various styles of music I like. Metal is probably around 35% I would guess.

Over the past few years I rediscovered my love of 70's progressive rock (which I listened to prior to metal) and the current bands that are traveling similar paths. That has led me to check out older prog bands like Atomic Rooster, Lucifer's Friend, Nektar & Wishbone Ash, bands that I had always "heard of" but never actually heard. It's GREAT stuff, I love that early 70's era and finding these forgotten gems has really been fun.

oh yeah, Uriah Heep was most definitely metal, all the way.

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Who is the oldest member of this board anyway? Razz

Toho Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 387733

Haha,just kidding dude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:11 am

If you grew up on it and are a true fan, I don't think there is an age. Much like gaysex, if your heart is into it, you'll stick to it, if it isn't you'll be wanking off to Megan Fox pictures within a week.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:17 am

I continually astound people who hear my car stereo when I go somewhere and I might be playing thrash, death, or power metal. Then when I get out of the minivan and they see I'm a fat, short, balding guy nearing 40 their jaws hit the floor. I was at a concert recently, newer metalcore stuff which I kind of hate, you know, no guitar solos, no melodic vocals, same pathetic riff over and over, but I was helping a friend run sound and took a break to go start a pit, cause the kids don't know how anymore, and when I got back to the soundbooth this 15-year-old kid said " That was cool, how long have you been doing that? and I said " I was into metal before you were born ". Nice to pass on some pit skills to the next generation. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:44 am

Troublezone wrote:
Who is the oldest member of this board anyway?
pretty sure the oldest active member is bgast1. he is 59 & still rocking out.

Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:45 am

As long as I breathe and poop, ... I'll always lidten to metal. headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:45 am

mc666 wrote:
i play my music so loud now that i wont be able to hear anything when i get old anyway.

I can relate to that. I started having tinnitus before I even turned 30. I'm screwed.
Back to top Go down
onrypt
Metal student
Metal student
onrypt

Number of posts : 174

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:49 am

Yeah, I'm getting ready to roll 42,000 miles and I've been into rock/metal since I discovered Van Halen in 3rd grade. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I just picked up The Showdown's "Blood in the Gears" I was on my way home last night and sitting at a stoplight. I played track 8 "The Crooked Path." I had it cranked up way too loud (lol) and actually got goosebumps just sitting there at the light listening to the intro. You can't explain that to anyone. I love a lot of different musical styles (Jazz, Blues, Zydeco, Rock and a smattering of other stuff) but nothing else gives me goosebumps like a sweet metal riff does.
It's either in you or it isn
't. And I would argue that you really never grow out of it, your appreciation might mature and expand but long live the riff!
Evil Seed
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/P207b
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 1:54 am

onrypt wrote:
I love a lot of different musical styles (Jazz, Blues, Zydeco, Rock and a smattering of other stuff) but nothing else gives me goosebumps like a sweet metal riff does. It's either in you or it isn[/i]'t. And I would argue that you really never grow out of it, your appreciation might mature and expand but long live the riff! Evil Seed

I can totally relate to what you just wrote about the different musical styles and the goosebumps from a great metal riff.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 1:58 am

I most definitely will. I was cranking Elements Of Persuasion in the car on the way to and from work. When it was the Ace Of Spades 30th anniversary I did the same with that as well. 70's Prog, E.M., Blues, Metal, and the recently discovered Jazz(I like the wacky mid-70's Miles Davis stuff) genre keeps me busy with tunes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?   Is there an age when you stop listening to metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is there an age when you stop listening to metal?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next