Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eddie Trunk

Go down 
+44
BubbaTwoSix
the sentinel
ultmetal
666_Evil_666
MetallicSeminarian
Dark Horseman
MetalRob331
Orion Crystal Ice
ZombieHavoc
corplhicks
Boris2008
Andy
brokentulsa
stepcousin
stpatrik
James B.
skullkrusher
mlotek
TheDoctor'sScarf
metalinmyveins
Shawn Of Fire
nevermore
Getizzyback
sheets
Panteralover23
jstate
FlyingV
mr.electric39
bassman
Alex Dee Rokket
Fat Freddy
Jesusandmetal23
Addy
thejokeriv
A Handful of Wayne
Lurideath
chewie
manny
Wargod
Troublezone
mc666
Metal Misfit
MetalGuy71
48 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 am

I have the same impression of Eddie Trunk, I doubt he's aware even of American metal bands that have emerged since the late 80s like say Nevermore, Iced Earth, Symphony X to name a few of the more popular ones.

Someone should stump him with a question about Vektor!

I bet his answer will be "uuuuhhh c'mon they weren't signed on a major label in the 1980s!"

Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm sorry, Jorn is one of the best melodic/power vocalists in the world, the fact that Trunk knows nothing about him makes me cringe. What will he say next, who's Russell Allen? Give me a break.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 4:12 pm

[quote="thejokeriv"]
manny wrote:
it;s still a decent talk show

+1 ....

better than having Jamey Jasta telling us how good In Flames are.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 24, 2010 9:22 pm

I like Eddie but his music knowledge is not as widespread as he would have you believe.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 6:16 pm

I never minded Eddie until on one of his shows he started slagging on people who were into underground acts - just really dismissive and mocking. I don't mind that he keeps it to the mainstream. That's cool for what he is trying to do. But to attack people for really being into acts seemed counter to how he presents himself.

Although in fairness, he probably gets all day long, "why don't you have more....on your show?"

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:04 pm

I'm going to take an objective swing here but here's my take on Eddie and all other metal shows:

Although they're all called 'metal shows' I find that term somewhat generic, confusing and perhaps misleading at times. Each of these shows will be partial to a style of metal, or a number of bands that the host and other regular presenters like. I know maybe I am stating the obvious but I always hear people criticizing various shows on the internet that they are not this or that , that they should discuss a wider variety of bands, or less bands from one genre and more from another.

Unfortunately or fortunately, whichever way you look at it, metal shows are ultimately all about what the host likes in the end. If he or she likes mainstream music then that's what will most likely get the most exposure on the show, and vice versa. I also suspect that someone like Eddie Trunk gets more perks for promoting well known bands than promoting underground acts - he is part of the 'glitterati' in the hard rock and metal music world. Personally, I find him to be a very overrated DJ / radio host who keeps going on about the same bands that have been around since the dawn of time - or rather the bands he got into when he was younger.

At the same time, more power to him. If he's able to make a living out of talking about his favorite bands then who am I to say that he sucks or should stop doing it or change... it's not my place. Ultimately if it bothers me that much I can always find something else to listen to or watch (there's plenty of different vlogs and podcasts out there on metal).

My point rather is that we sometimes expect too much out of a metal show. At least I know I do at times - I want the host to cover everything from Rainbow to Def Leppard to Immolation. That's asking the impossible because like I said, unless the host is into those bands they won't even just as much as mention their names.
Back to top Go down
Panteralover23
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 11:42 am

Eddie's clueless to what's real METAL nowadays! He only really brings on guys from the 80's onto TMS, and most times they're totally washed up anyways! I mean, he's never talked about the new guys that emerging, or the stuff that's become popular now. His show is just sort of the show for old guys who liked old school stuff who still want to feel "cool." He should work on his terrible and boring and totally un-METAL show! We need to get some younger blood into the television stations to wave the METAL FLAG! \,,/
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Panteralover23 wrote:
Eddie's clueless to what's real METAL nowadays! He only really brings on guys from the 80's onto TMS, and most times they're totally washed up anyways!

It's because it's a VH1 Classic show - the whole network is based on nostalgia for older acts.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 12:02 pm

sheets wrote:
Panteralover23 wrote:
Eddie's clueless to what's real METAL nowadays! He only really brings on guys from the 80's onto TMS, and most times they're totally washed up anyways!

It's because it's a VH1 Classic show - the whole network is based on nostalgia for older acts.

Exactly. Both the network and Eddie cater to the older generation of hard rock and metal fans. The network also has sponsors to appease as well. At the very least, Eddie is getting the word out to people that bands from the 80's or whatever are still putting out albums, good, bad or indifferent. Motorhead didn't stop recording after Ace of Spades.

And Eddie would probably be the first to admit that he's clueless as to what the kids are calling metal these days. It happens to the best of us. Noone can stay hip & relevent forever. Even if you try, you look foolish, like the old guy in the singles bar. I think Grandpa Simpson said it best:

"I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems scary and wierd. It'll happen to you."

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 12:31 pm

It happened to me at 17.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 10:32 am

Eddie does know who Iced Earth is since he knows Ripper! Saw it a couple years back and he mentioned Iced Earth. But to heavy for his tastes.
You never ever see the show mention to many female rockers on the show only one I know of was Lita Ford. To bad there are many he could have on there.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:30 am

I have no issue with Eddie Trunk, he is not claiming to be a metal expert, plus from my understanding for anyone who lives in New York/New Jersey he has been one of the few who played KISS, Alice Cooper, and other classic metal acts newer songs when others have ignored them.

Sure he comes off as a bit of tool from time to time but he is at least giving exposure to alot of acts that not long ago where written off simply because they were from the 80's, and if he does not know alot about modern metal bands, at least he is honest about it and does not act like old douche bag trying to look cool by name dropping current hipper metal acts just to seem cool.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Panteralover23 wrote:
We need to get some younger blood into the television stations

The last time a TV station did that, we got Jamey Jasta of Hatebreed hosting the "new" Headbanger's Ball on MTV2. Sleep

As much as I dislike Eddie the Pillsbury Metal Boy Trunk, I'd rather watch his show than that!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Maybe VH1 will come up with "That Metal Show - The Next Generation" in the future.

Who's gonna host that show?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 4:05 pm

manny wrote:
I have no issue with Eddie Trunk, he is not claiming to be a metal expert, .

On his Stump The Trunk segment he thinks he's an expert. And boy does he get pissed if he gets a question wrong.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 10:33 am

He's like most any other guy his age...he stopped paying attention at a certain point...but he could talk about Rush, Dio or UFO all day...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 12:01 pm

I was watching the episode with Frank and Jeff from Tesla, along w/Chuck Billy from Testament online last night, and I was amazed at the softball questions he missed from that show. Eddie made me feel brilliant, as I got all four right (not that they were that hard).

First question: What was the original name for Testament? (Legacy) Eddie got that right

Second question: What was the first album with Steve Souza on vocals for Exodus? (Pleasures of the Flesh) He got that wrong, after guessing Fabulous Disaster and then he guessed Bonded By Blood!!! Are you serious Eddie?

Third question: Who had an album titled "When the Storm Comes Down"? (Flotsam & Jetsam) Eddie got this wrong as well, as he simply had no clue. He started guessing that this title was from one of the side projects that the guys from Tesla had. He then stated that he's not a Flots fan...How can one not like the first few offerings from this band?

Fourth question: What was the name of the first Tesla album? (Mechanical Resonance) Eddie actually pondered this for a while, and then asked "Is this a trick question"? I actually think that Eddie couldn't come up with it, and was stalling to save face. I was just waiting for him to say "The Great Radio Controversy".

Batting .500 on these questions? Are you serious???

Maybe the show feels like they have to show Ms. Box of Junk Jennifer to appease the T.V audience (which is fine by me), because Eddie just looks out of his comfort zone way too much. Unless it's a U.F.O. or KISS question, he just seems to stumble on stuff. Hell, these were all question from the 80's.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
Eddie does know who Iced Earth is since he knows Ripper!

He had Jon Schaffer on his show last week, IIRC.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 12:41 pm

I was listening to his show last night when he had Paul Di'Anno on, and he came off like a bit of a douche at times. It seemed like he kept wanting to push Paul outta there at times and even clicked the line on some of the callers.

On the bright side, he does have good taste in music, and he does have much respect for the old stuff.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:44 pm

When does the new season start? Repeat after repeat now.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Eddie or his co-hosts stated on That Metal Show in response to a letter asking why didn't they have newer bands, and the heavier ones ?

Pretty much what has been said already,
he and his show and its sponsors cater to the crowd into classic hard rock and classic heavy metal, and that there are other shows, or people can start their own shows, to feature new or underground bands, especially from genres he doesn't usually cover, like black, death, thrash, etc.

He isn't going to change, because if he did, he would lose his audience.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 11:06 am

Getizzyback wrote:
When does the new season start? Repeat after repeat now.

I thought I heard him say they're gonna start taping new episodes in March (maybe?), so it might not be until April or so till they air.

Slightly off topic, but I was watching VH-1 Classic last night and I saw a commercial for the new Stratovarious (sp?) album. I thought that was pretty funny. You won't see that on regular network tv. Razz

Metal student
Metal student
skullkrusher

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:19 am

My all-time favorite "Stump the Trunk" moment was when Eddie couldn't come up with the name of Megadeth's mascot.

Eddie Trunk - Page 2 506406

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 2:45 pm

I posted this in the Dokken thread in RIP section. Maybe more will see it here. I thought it was interesting...

Quote :
Last night on Eddie Trunk's radio show, George Lynch had some interesting and brutally honest things to say about Dokken, the man and the band. Simply put, there will never be a full-on reunion again unless Don splits up the money equally, 25% to each of the 4 members like the "old days". Don says it's his name, his band, so he should get a bigger cut.

According to George, the Guitar Hero people approached him to use 'Mr. Scary' as a track. He said fine by him and although he wrote it himself, he was willing to take his 25% and give the other 75% to Mick, Jeff and Don. Then Don and his lawyers went in and blew the whole deal. And that kids, is why 'Mr. Scary' doesn't appear on Guitar Hero.

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Too bad, they're better together but whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eddie Trunk   Eddie Trunk - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eddie Trunk
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next