Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH

Go down 
+20
MetalFRO
James B.
Fat Freddy
juanmiguel
Selvmord
Critique Oblique
7thSaviour
MetalGuy71
XYZ
SlaytanicPOWER
sheets
MetalH
Required Fields
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
Schbopo
mc666
manny
Svengo
akeldama
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:35 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I'm not going to get into a religious debate, however, I think you're taking Slayer a little too seriously. They've always had that image, they've always been the musical equivalent to a horror film. The lyrics fit the image, the image provides them with a way to make a living and take care of their families. Comparing them with a Christian band doesn't make sense...because Slayer aren't trying to deliver a message of any sort...other than entertainment. William Peter Blatty is a Catholic, however he made his fortune by writing The Exorcist...the subject matter SELLS TICKETS. I've been listening to Slayer since 1984, I have NEVER taken their lyrics seriously...because I understand that it's just their shtick.

While i do agree that they are entertainment they do definately have a buried agenda in the lyrics. Disrespecting God isn't a horror movie, in fact most horror/gore films are not about putting God down but visual shock. I like Slayers music but i never cared for the lyrics. When they were "Dragon Slayer" yes i'm sure it was about as Motley Crue makeup devil schtick as they come but when every other song is a knock on God there is a message being presented. Bands like Megadeth and Testament have matured away from the same old tired God bashing most bands start their career doing as kids.

A factor attributing to this is the fact that Kerry King is an atheist, he's stated in interviews that his "Anti-God' themes are more in the vein of 'pissing people off' (similar in fashion to S.O.D. and other bands) and also portraying the emotions felt by non-religiously devout people when they are having a really bad day.

I think the Anti-Religion/Occult themes are more out of tradition, as Slayer has proven to be able to write about other themes aside from religion and still make a killer metal album.

You can distinctly tell which Slayer band member has influence on certain parts of their albums (e.g. Tom's serial killers, Kerry's anti-Religion lyrics, Jeff's Nazi/War themes). Christ Illusion is essentially a Kerry King album, so it's logical to assume it would be rich with such content.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 2:24 am

Quote :
You can distinctly tell which Slayer band member has influence on certain parts of their albums (e.g. Tom's serial killers, Kerry's anti-Religion lyrics, Jeff's Nazi/War themes).

Kerry wrote the occult war song "Ghosts of War". Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 2:26 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Because bands have band leaders.

It didn't seem like that until "God Hates Us All" came out. Before that it was more of a balanced democracy with songs from all the guys.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 2:34 am

Let me know when Megadeth and Metallica are on the same bill. Until then, meh.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 2:37 am

mc666 wrote:
i remember when Davey boy refused to play with Rotting Christ because he found their name offensive to his religion. hows he gonna handle Tom shouting out blasphemies everyday on a full tour?

I'm sure Dave's grown a lot of the past few years. I think he knows it's just a gimmick (Slayer's lyrics, that is).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:08 am

xyz wrote:
mc666 wrote:
i remember when Davey boy refused to play with Rotting Christ because he found their name offensive to his religion. hows he gonna handle Tom shouting out blasphemies everyday on a full tour?

I'm sure Dave's grown a lot of the past few years. I think he knows it's just a gimmick (Slayer's lyrics, that is).

He is one of the inventors of thrash so him "knowing" is a given since he wrote occult and devil inspired music earlier in his career. Regardless i'm sure he'll still continue to avoid certain satanic bands beyond this tour. Him knowing the Slayer guys also had something to do with him making the exception.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 9:47 am

TZ I can't any of Slayer's lyrics seriously, I look at them as detuned stated an audio horror films. 'God Hates Us' and 'Christ Illusion' lyrics are just written for shock value purposes not to preach to the audience. These guys do not have the luxury like Megadeth, Testament or Metallica do, these bands did not paint themselves into an artistic corner where their image dicates the subject matter of what their songs are about.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 9:54 am

manny wrote:
TZ I can't any of Slayer's lyrics seriously, I look at them as detuned stated an audio horror films. 'God Hates Us' and 'Christ Illusion' lyrics are just written for shock value purposes not to preach to the audience. These guys do not have the luxury like Megadeth, Testament or Metallica do, these bands did not paint themselves into an artistic corner where their image dicates the subject matter of what their songs are about.

I know Kerry is preaching athiesm, it's blatantly all over the lyrics. The satan thing i know is a sham...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:23 am

If Megadeth's coming to my town, I'll be there cause I'm a fan. If Slayer's on the bill as well, that's just icing on the cake for me. I'd rather see them (Slayer) than some of the other poop bands MegaDave's been shilling on Gigantour (Norma Jean? Bobaflex?)

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
If Megadeth's coming to my town, I'll be there cause I'm a fan. If Slayer's on the bill as well, that's just icing on the cake for me. I'd rather see them (Slayer) than some of the other poop bands MegaDave's been shilling on Gigantour (Norma Jean? Bobaflex?)

I agree
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:42 am

Troublezone wrote:

I know Kerry is preaching athiesm, it's blatantly all over the lyrics. The satan thing i know is a sham...

Preaching Atheism. surprised I do believe that's an oxymoron.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:44 am

As for this tour. Slayer being on the bill is probably the only reason I would go to a Megadeth show at this late date in their career. Slayer continues to put out albums that I enjoy...the last Megadeth record I liked was Rust In Peace.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:48 am

detuned wrote:

Of course it's not.

That's exactly what folks like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:54 am

An oxymoron are two contradictory terms used together (living dead)...so preaching atheism qualifies.

...and I was joking. Can we maybe lighten up just a tad?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:56 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
detuned wrote:

Of course it's not.

That's exactly what folks like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens do.

How you preach to the belief of nothingness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 12:00 pm

manny wrote:

How you preach to the belief of nothingness.

You don't, which of course was my point.

...and now for another joke, I saw this bumper sticker the other day:

MILITANT AGNOSTIC - I don't know and neither do you

just kidding
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 pm

detuned wrote:
An oxymoron are two contradictory terms used together (living dead)...so preaching atheism qualifies.

...and I was joking. Can we maybe lighten up just a tad?

Kinda like:

"Military Intelligence
2 words combined that can't make sense"

Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 506406

Yes!! I finally found a reason to use the Vic emoticon!!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 3:11 pm

When is this tour supposed to happen?
Back to top Go down
Critique Oblique
Metal novice
Metal novice
Critique Oblique

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:42 pm

Christianity is every bit of a gimmick that Satanism is. They're both flip sides of the same fradulent coin.
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 12:28 pm

I've seen them tour together. It was called Clash of the Titans back in 1991. Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax and Alice in Chains.
Back to top Go down
juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 3:11 pm

It would really be bromantic if Dave and Kerry came out onstage betweens sets and kissed and made up.

Too bad this our won't be dropping by the Philippines. : (
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 4:00 pm

juanmiguel wrote:
It would really be bromantic if Dave and Kerry came out onstage betweens sets and kissed and made up.

Too bad this our won't be dropping by the Philippines. : (

You just gave me a really :defleppard: image.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:05 am

SpectreFate wrote:
I don't care if they get along or not. It's not like I would go see this show, although I like both groups.

I would like to see Slayer since they were part of the big 4, but I'd really be going for Deth as I'm a fan boy and all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:55 am

MetalH wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
I don't care if they get along or not. It's not like I would go see this show, although I like both groups.

I would like to see Slayer since they were part of the big 4, but I'd really be going for Deth as I'm a fan boy and all.

I'm the inverse, a slayer fan boy. But I saw Deth and Dave totally kicked ass too.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:06 am

I wish the Big 4 would do a festival tour thing one of these summers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH   Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slayer To Tour With MEGADETH
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next