Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax

Go down 
+17
MetalGuy71
Jesusandmetal23
Grimmo
Nosaj2493
The_Jayroh
EmoElmo
thejokeriv
Dark Horseman
adrian
Fat Freddy
jettafiend
ultmetal
BearOnUnicycle
Temple of Blood
mc666
krokus
iamthedevil-ilovemetal
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
iamthedevil-ilovemetal
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Empty
PostSubject: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 12:52 pm

What are your views on these bands and which one is your favorite?
Mine is Anthrax headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 1:12 pm

There is probably 30 threads on each of these bands on the board. The search function is a wonderful thing.

Back to top Go down
iamthedevil-ilovemetal
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 1:16 pm

Well I'm new on here, so ya know, thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Welcome! I just wanted to point out the plethora of threads on the subject already in existence.

To answer your question my favorite is Slayer and they are really the only Big 4 band I still listen to on any kind of semi-regular basis.

Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 2:42 pm

All 4 bands released amazing albums and they have my respect for that but also a lot of smurf poo. ANTHRAX, METALLICA and SLAYER released more than two smurf poo album only MEGADETH made one with RISK, thats why i will say MEGADETH. To be honest i prefere bands like SODOM, or TANKARD that stayed loyal to thrash and real metal forever.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Slayer>Anthrax>Metallica>Megadeth

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:30 pm

MEGADETH>SLAYER>METALLICA>ANTHRAX
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:52 pm

METALLICA>MEGADETH>ANTHRAX> ........ >slayer
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:08 pm

ANTHRAX>MEGADETH>METALLICA>SLAYER

I like them all, but Anthrax is probably my favorite, though I probably listen to both Megadeth and Anthrax about the same.

I've seen Megadeth in concert about 8 or 9x. Anthrax 4x. Slayer twice. I've never seen Metallica.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Megadeth>Anthrax>Metallica>Slayer...

I would have to say that Megadeth is my favorite, only because I am not a fan of the John Bush era Anthrax and I like everything that Megadeth has done. Yes, I think that there are a few good songs on Risk, but it does not have the consistency of the other outings by the band.

The Black album was my introduction to metal and for that alone, this album has a very special place in my heart. I like most Metallica albums but I tend to go against the grain with albums like S&M or Justice.

Ah, Slayer, and on this board I definitely in the minority here. Simply put, I am not a fan.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Megadeth > Anthrax > Slayer > Metallica

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Megadeth is my favorite by far, I like pretty much everything they've done. The other three, I like some albums, but not all. Anthrax would probably be my second favorite.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:36 pm

My view is all these bands played thrash and Dave is a monster guitar player. Megadave that is.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Metallica=Megadeth>Slayer>Anthrax
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 6:54 pm

To me that Depends on how many good albums they made, here's how I'd rank them

1 Megadeth (the most consistent by far, barring the atrocity that is "Risk")

2 Metallica (Early stuff was good up to 91)

3 Slayer (see above, but theire 2000's effort were a bit redundant)

4 Anthrax (Among the living, Persistence of time...the rest...meh)

edit : The 5th spot goes to TESTAMENT

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Quote :
(Among the living, Persistence of time...the rest...meh)

You don't like Sound of White Noise?
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :
(Among the living, Persistence of time...the rest...meh)

You don't like Sound of White Noise?

I don't like bush...I prefer 'em shaved Wink
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Bah duh dum. Smile
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:03 am

I listen to these bands all the time. The Big 4 rule! headbanger
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Nosaj2493
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nosaj2493

Number of posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 6:28 am

Metallica>Megadeth>Slayer>Anthrax

Love all 4 bands really. I know that the concept of a "Big 4" annoys some fans but I like it. Every band represents a different style of thrash (Anthrax are more punk influenced, Megadeth are the more technical band etc.) and listening to them would be an ass-kicking intoduction to thrash metal for anyone.

Of course the "Big 4" is best seen as that IMO; 4 great bands that are a taster of the music thrash has to offer. One of the biggest appeals of the genre is it's depth and it's diversity and I understand how it can be limiting to have a "Big 4" put ahead of the pack.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 am

If I was trapped on a desert island and only had 4 cds, I'd make sure they were the first 4 Metallica cds.

Having said that, I believe that the big 4 concept is quite dated now. I'd rather listen to Overkill's Electric Age, than any of the latest releases from any of the "big 4". The big 4 concept appears to have related to a time when all 4 bands were marketed as major pioneers of thrash - i.e. "The Big Four of Thrash"

Are they the four most popular bands in the thrash genre? History (record sales) obviously shows that the answer here would have to be a resounding yes. But it would seem that Anthrax, Megadeth and Metallica went through periods in the 1990's onwards of playing albums that contained music with little of the thrash sounds that had made them so enjoyable to thrash fans in those early times - though, they would have won over many new (non thrash) fans in the process. Albums such as Stomp 442, Load, Reload, Cryptic Writings and Risk had transitioned a fair way from the thrash sounds found on earlier releases such as Peace Sells, Master of Puppets, Among the Living and Reign in Blood. Slayer is possibly the sole exception here, though Megadeth appear to have been on a journey with a more accessible thrash sound mixed in with heavy metal with every release since The System Has Failed.

These days, if I was looking for long standing discographies that have been more consistantly thrash orientated, I'd go with Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Sodom, Tankard and maybe Kreator (sans Endorama).

Hope this post makes sense and is not too rubbishy. It's just my opinion and I am recovering from surgery. Anesthetic messes with my head! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 am

All of them released legendary albums. It's really hard to rank these bands. I'll just say that I enjoy each of them for what they offer, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would definitely be Megadeth.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 am

I enjoy all 4. With the exception of Anthrax, the other 3 have released a couple of clunkers over the years that I didn't care for, but I still listen to them all.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 11:56 am

Nope, wrong. Stomp was a dud. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Nope, wrong. Stomp was a dud. Smile

I remember not caring much for it when I got it as a new release, but it's grown on me. It's not a favorite or anything, but I'd take that over Risk, Diabolus in Musica or either Load album anyday.

PostSubject: Re: The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax   The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Big 4: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next