Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?

Go down 
+10
arttieTHE1manparty
sam
DeathCult
ultmetal
candlemass
powermacho
Troublezone
MetalFRO
the sentinel
Muloc7253
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:26 pm

Slide It In has 2 versions. The Euro version with no Sykes and Jon Lord higher in the mix. The US version has Sykes solos and sounds very remixed to me, not sure on that though..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 pm

I need to hear that European version....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:28 pm

I own it. If I remember I'll upload it for ya.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:29 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I own it. If I remember I'll upload it for ya.

ME TOO!!! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:29 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
The US version has Sykes solos and sounds very remixed to me, not sure on that though..

I was right... happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:31 pm

When I get home, I'll upload it. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Yeah, I knew Vandenberg did not play anything but that solo on Whitesnake and not at all on Slip...

Speaking of Slip, Cover-face could not have gotten a more un-Blues player than Steve Vai for that record...what was he thinking?

Also, Sykes (I'm pretty sure) only played solos on Slide It In...then did the tour...all the rhythms on the album were the guy Cover-face fired...

I think on the US version of 'Slide it In' Sykes plays all the parts, in the overseas version Mickey Moody and Mel Galley play all the guitar parts with the expection of the guitar solos, but I could be wrong, since I only have the US version which gives credit to both John Sykes and Mel Galley I believe.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Quote :
Speaking of Slip, Cover-face could not have gotten a more un-Blues player than Steve Vai for that record...what was he thinking?

I think was more just a sign of the times. Whitesnake was coming off huge success from the self-titled album and the whole hair band/MTV/flashiness was in style. I remember being in high school when that came out and we were all very impressed and excited that a shredder like Steve Vai (coming off of the success of DLR) was joining the band. Little did we know how wrong we would be 20 years down the road.

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Quote :
I remember being in high school when that came
out and we were all very impressed and excited that a shredder like
Steve Vai (coming off of the success of DLR) was joining the band.
Little did we know how wrong we would be 20 years down the road.

I never liked Vai. I remember hearing his Flexible album and the work he did with DLR and I hated his sound. When I heard he was to play with Whitesnake (one of my favorites at the time) and after they released that atrocious remake of "Fool For Your Loving", I knew the band would never be as good as they were on 1987.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:49 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
I remember being in high school when that came
out and we were all very impressed and excited that a shredder like
Steve Vai (coming off of the success of DLR) was joining the band.
Little did we know how wrong we would be 20 years down the road.

I never liked Vai. I remember hearing his Flexible album and the work he did with DLR and I hated his sound. When I heard he was to play with Whitesnake (one of my favorites at the time) and after they released that atrocious remake of "Fool For Your Loving", I knew the band would never be as good as they were on 1987.

I can't say that I was a huge fan, but successfully stepping into Eddie Van Halen's shoes certainly earned him respect from my group of cronies. And seeing him live on one of those G3 tours and the Zappa Plays Zappa show was amazing.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:50 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
3 versions.

1st from "Saints an Sinners". That's the "hobo" version. ?

2nd from the S/T album with John Sykes on guitar sans heavy keyboards. 9.5/10

3rd was indeed a radio edit with new solos and a heavy keyboard sound added. 10/10
I LOVE this song! headbanger
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:56 pm

I am Steve Vai fan, but I just don't feel his style was well suited for Whitesnake. His sound fit in perfectly with David Lee Roth but with Whitesnake it fell flat, granted he had nothing to do with the songwriting but it was an uninspired performance from a performer who is know for playing with alot of passion and heart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Like MG, I was never really a fan of Vai...but then I saw him on one of the G3 tours and that impressed me. Even though I still find the majority of his recordings to be pretentious twaddle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 5:41 pm

detuned wrote:
I need to hear that European version....

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
ME TOO!!! \'arry \'eadbanger

Here you go again.....

Slide It In (Euro Mix)
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 5:49 pm

way too many apparently...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Quote :
pretentious twaddle

laughing That's good stuff right there. I can't wait to use that expression in work tomorrow.

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 10:49 pm

Spec rocks!

How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 505193
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:32 pm

The mix on the UK version is very different, most noticeable in the vocal arrangements. The guitar solo in Love Ain't No Stranger is the same as the U.S. version so I'm assuming that's Mel Galley.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Yeah, it sounds like any other Whitesnake album. The Sykes version for some reason just made it more metallic and less soulful. I prefer the Euro version.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:39 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Yeah, it sounds like any other Whitesnake album. The Sykes version for some reason just made it more metallic and less soulful. I prefer the Euro version.

There's less guitar overdubs...I noticed that the guitar solo in Slow N Easy is also identical to the U.S. version...so I'm beginning to wonder what songs that Sykes actually solos on.

So far, I'm really enjoying this version. I think the U.S. version just has Coverdale overdubbing all the vocal harmonies, but this version you can hear other voices.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:46 pm

The mix on the American Version was done by Keith Olsen who later would make millions producing Heart and John Waite, and was definitley geared toward rock radio and the booming pop metal audience that was booming, the Euro version was mixed by the producer Martin Birch. I am at work so I donot have my copy handy but I do believe Keith Olsen received production credit on a couple of tracks on American release, but I am not 100% sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Yeah, I can hear that. The drums were re-processed (more reverb as was standard in the 80's). The interesting thing is that some of the songs I never liked on the U.S. version (Guilty Of Love, Spit It Out) sound MUCH better on this version. Guilty Of Love sounds like Thin Lizzy with Coverdale on vocals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?   How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How many versions of 'Here I Go Again' were there?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2