Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?

Go down 
+25
Temple of Blood
DeathCult
mez
MetalH
metalinmyveins
TrogDawn
Leatherface
Schbopo
GrandNational
kmorg
Required Fields
MetalFRO
sam
Lurideath
SideShowDisaSter
Necrosultan
Stender
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
manny
Troublezone
7thSaviour
XYZ
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 3:43 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
xyz wrote:
There was some kind of copyright infringement issue (based on their name) between the band and the copyright holders of the King James version of the Bible.

Plus, I believe Fred Phelps himself rallied his hatetroopers against them being included in any kind of "Big Five" thrash listing, apparently because he has some homophobic obsession with the number five? surprised

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Fredphelps2

He tried this in his campaign against the tv show 'Hawaii 5-0' as well. Thankfully Jack Lord's hair prevailed and we can all breathe a collective sign of relief. Book 'em Dan-O.

Someone needs to pistol-whip that jack-hole.

Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 4:04 pm

I really dig the latest Testament album. I enjoy it much more than the new Metallica album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 4:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
He tried this in his campaign against the tv show 'Hawaii 5-0' as well. Thankfully Jack Lord's hair prevailed and we can all breathe a collective sign of relief. Book 'em Dan-O.

Someone needs to pistol-whip that jack-hole.
Why...that dirty bastard... Mad
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 4:25 pm

I personally am not into them, but I wont deny them that they are good at the style they play. I seen them live last year and thought they played top notch, my only hindrance is I am not into that type of vocals, so understand I am not cutting them down.

I recall back in the 80's and early 90's them being extremely popular that I would be surprised if they weren't considered the 5th! Anyone who listened to metal back then had at least one of their albums, even I had Practice What You Preach back then, and I remember everyone having The New Order. Maybe they fell off the sights in the 90's when metal and rock all seemed to become embarrassing because of grunge. Just a guess.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 4:57 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Maybe someone should have coined the term "Little Four" for Overkill, Exodus, Testament, and Sepultura as second-wave thrashers with big impact.

Gonna need to find yourself another fourth there. Sepultura wasn't Bay Area, and only had some pieces of that sound. They also mixed in bits of the European scene, as well as bits of the rising death metal scene. The Brazilian thrash sound was pretty distinctive, especially considering how thrash was taking off when bands from that area started making inrouds internationally.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 5:08 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Maybe someone should have coined the term "Little Four" for Overkill, Exodus, Testament, and Sepultura as second-wave thrashers with big impact.

Gonna need to find yourself another fourth there. Sepultura wasn't Bay Area, and only had some pieces of that sound. They also mixed in bits of the European scene, as well as bits of the rising death metal scene. The Brazilian thrash sound was pretty distinctive, especially considering how thrash was taking off when bands from that area started making inrouds internationally.

OK, how about FORBIDDEN? DARK ANGEL? or friggin' HIRAX! 🤘

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 5:20 pm

ultmetal wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

OK, how about FORBIDDEN? DARK ANGEL? or friggin' HIRAX! 🤘

OK Scott, I'll replace Sepultura with Dark Angel just to keep it in the US of A Very Happy . Forbidden is good, and Hirax is still around, but they have spotty recording history, although they probably embody the thrash spirit more than the other two. I just went with Sepultura based on their influence and longevity (although after Chaos A.D. they lost their thrash mojo).
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 6:33 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

Gonna need to find yourself another fourth there. Sepultura wasn't Bay Area, and only had some pieces of that sound.
Anthrax wasn't Bay Area either though surprised Are you talking geographics or style?
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Personally, while I like most of their material, with The Legacy and The New Order being personal faves. Alot of it has to do with timing, sales, and the fact that while good, they weren't entirely original.

I agree that Overkill should've been considered though, or Nuclear Assault, either one would be a great candidate for that 5th spot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 7:17 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

Gonna need to find yourself another fourth there. Sepultura wasn't Bay Area, and only had some pieces of that sound.
Anthrax wasn't Bay Area either though surprised Are you talking geographics or style?

I think SideShow wanted to keep it in the US and confused the Bay Area for all of America Smile .
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 7:56 pm

They didn't deserve to. If anything, I think EXODUS deserved it more.

There was a big drop-off in quality after album #2 and they were getting pretty mediocre just playing second-fiddle to METALLICA and aping their direction.

They didn't tour like METALLICA used to either.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
There was a big drop-off in quality after album #2 and they were getting pretty mediocre just playing second-fiddle to METALLICA and aping their direction.

scratch If they were aping Metallica, they would have made it big. And Testament deserves ever credit they can get because they can still thrash.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Quote :

That's not true. Practice and Souls of Black were great albums. Not that they're not great also but what makes the first two the best? Arguably they were copying Metallica on the first two even more so than the latter...I personally feel Skolnick didn't even get his own sound til Practice came out, before that he was just another face in the crowd of fast players.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 10:19 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

That's not true. Practice and Souls of Black were great albums. Not that they're not great also but what makes the first two the best? Arguably they were copying Metallica on the first two even more so than the latter...I personally feel Skolnick didn't even get his own sound til Practice came out, before that he was just another face in the crowd of fast players.

Many feel "Practice What You Preach" was a great album, but I remember fans being pretty down on "Souls of Black". Even the band stated that the "Souls of Black" album was rushed.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 10:23 pm

Quote :
Many feel "Practice What You Preach" was a great album, but I remember fans being pretty down on "Souls of Black". Even the band stated that the "Souls of Black" album was rushed.

Souls was my first Testament tape so maybe i'm biased on that one, but by no means is it bad... In fact i think the solo's are some of their best and it was produced by Michael Wagner so the sound is pretty good to me for being rushed. I actually like that reverby quality it has.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
They didn't deserve to. If anything, I think EXODUS deserved it more.

They didn't tour like METALLICA used to either.

Thats what I'm say'in...
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:53 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

Style

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:59 pm

Skolnick likes to rub his bare bum upon helpless barnyard animals.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 12:31 am

SAXON1500 wrote:

Not a fan huh?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 1:39 am

Troublezone wrote:
SAXON1500 wrote:

Not a fan huh?

No. Even when I saw them last year, the band was completely thrashin' the stage, and guitar-god himself, just stood there posing the whole time. I have never agreed with the whole "you need to grow as a musician" thing. There are a ton of bands out there that have stayed true to their first passion, and that is what I dig. Mr Skolnick came out with his two-toned bob haircut and you could tell he was not interested in anything going on. Looked to me like he was going through the motions and at the same time, thinking of jazz runs for the AST or some orchestral stuff for TSO. 4/5 of that band gave everything. He just bummed me out.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:52 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
SAXON1500 wrote:

Not a fan huh?

No. Even when I saw them last year, the band was completely thrashin' the stage, and guitar-god himself, just stood there posing the whole time. I have never agreed with the whole "you need to grow as a musician" thing. There are a ton of bands out there that have stayed true to their first passion, and that is what I dig. Mr Skolnick came out with his two-toned bob haircut and you could tell he was not interested in anything going on. Looked to me like he was going through the motions and at the same time, thinking of jazz runs for the AST or some orchestral stuff for TSO. 4/5 of that band gave everything. He just bummed me out.

Well he never was a spinner like eric or a run around stage jumping type, he was always more focused on playing good and accurate. He seemed more into the music in the earlier days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyWvBE9GBNM&feature=related
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 9:29 am

I'm just sayin' he looked BORED. And that is a real downer at a thrash show, where the energy is half of the experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:13 pm

What, do you get a holy-than-thou vibe from him? Like, he feels like he's doing everybody a favor by gracing them with his presence? Well, besides being a significant part of why this latest Testament effort works, the guy has branched out pretty wide and succesfully since his first dip into Rock's dark black waters. The Skolnick Trio material is evidence of a multi-dimensional artist. And, the more-recent, Attention Defecit recordings show an even more diverse element in his repertoire. http://www.last.fm/music/Attention+Deficit/Attention+Deficit I like when artists are not definable by just one genre or style. And, Alex embodys that type of mult-dimensional player. He probably does feel like he's out of his element to some degree after playing in Jazz ensembles for a long stretch. But, that Thrasher is in there somewhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:30 pm

Well, I LIKE when artists stay one dimensional. Do I really want to hear Dee Snider doing opera? How about Blackie Lawless kickin' out some cool country jams? Screw that.

So, if it is ok for Skolnick to stand there and look pretty the whole show, shouldn't the other members of Testament have the right to do the same? I am only imagining this, but I don't think I would want to be at that show. How about you? So, yes, AS[s] does come off holier-than-thou to me. And there are way too many other great bands out there to support. Until they replace him, Testament won't be seeing my gig dollar again.

I hope you are multi-dimensional and post at more than one board.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 5:03 pm

Testament got along just fine (i would say even better) without Skolnick. and while i like Formations, i prefer Low, Demonic, & The Gathering. those are what i go for when in a Testament mood.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next