Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?

Go down 
+25
Temple of Blood
DeathCult
mez
MetalH
metalinmyveins
TrogDawn
Leatherface
Schbopo
GrandNational
kmorg
Required Fields
MetalFRO
sam
Lurideath
SideShowDisaSter
Necrosultan
Stender
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
manny
Troublezone
7thSaviour
XYZ
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 7:46 pm

They're all good. But, The Gathering is pure audio gold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Isn't Overkill overdue for a killer recording? It's been a while for dem boys.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 10:26 pm

I think they're in the studio now.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 4:54 am

mc666 wrote:
Testament got along just fine (i would say even better) without Skolnick. and while i like Formations, i prefer Low, Demonic, & The Gathering. those are what i go for when in a Testament mood.

I agree that when I'm a Testament mood I go for The Gathering first-hand, but then Souls Of Black. I haven't gotten into Demonic that much
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 5:56 am

I'm not overly convinced of Skolnik's jazz playing either. The little bit of stuff of AST I've listened to doesn't have me wanting to rush out and buy it. He's doing a half-assed job of it, if you listen to some real jazz guitarists and then compare Skolnik's material (which is mostly rock and metal tunes he's "jazzified") it rings hollow. It's a completely different mindset to play that music, you have to possess a gift for improvisation and Skolnik is too grounded in composed solos (which is the norm in metal and most rock).

From Sax's description, it sounds like his return to Testament is half-assed as well...and most likely inspired competely by dollar signs.

Some artists are good enough to straddle multiple genres (Jeff Beck is a good example), but Skolnik isn't on that level.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 1:08 pm

Summerizing what is the general concensus above: we can conclude that timing was the primary factor and perhaps place/location the second.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 9:37 am

Interview with guitarist Eric Peterson.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/hit_the_lights/testament_being_musicians_well_experiment_with_new_things.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Skolnick may not be the best jazz player but I don't get the hate for his playing with Testament. I love his style and why can't a guy experiment with other styles if he likes both.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 10:26 am

As I said before, when I saw Testament live I didn't see the same thing Uncle Sax saw. Alex was full of energy and put in just as much as the rest of the band. I love Testament and could care less why they didn't make it big, I'm just glad they're still at it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5