Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?

Go down 
+25
Temple of Blood
DeathCult
mez
MetalH
metalinmyveins
TrogDawn
Leatherface
Schbopo
GrandNational
kmorg
Required Fields
MetalFRO
sam
Lurideath
SideShowDisaSter
Necrosultan
Stender
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
manny
Troublezone
7thSaviour
XYZ
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 5:05 am

I will still listen to them now and then even though his voice is horrible, imo. Great band, just not my vocal style.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 12:55 pm

Quote :

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Chuck's voice.

Is versatile... 🤘

And more listenable then James nowadays.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Two people have mentioned the sales as the reason. Those are the winning answers here. SALES!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 1:35 pm

kmorg wrote:
Two people have mentioned the sales as the reason. Those are the winning answers here. SALES!

No need to count Metallica's success and even Megadeth went platinum a few times, but does anyone know some sales figures for Anthrax and Slayer? At their peak of success, did they have big numbers like Metallica and Megadeth?

EDIT: Some quick searches show that both Anthrax and Slayers had a few Gold Records (500,000+), which considdering the genre, is pretty impressive.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 1:39 pm

I don't know the numbers, but Anthrax sure as heck sold alot. State Of Euphoria and the one after that was heavily pushed on MTV and what not.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 1:46 pm

According to our friends in Wikipedia, Anthrax had 4 gold albums, which means they each sold half a million copies, the winning streak started with 'Among' and ended with "Sound'.

What the band's overall sales figures worldwide are I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 1:55 pm

manny wrote:
According to our friends in Wikipedia, Anthrax had 4 gold albums, which means they each sold half a million copies, the winning streak started with 'Among' and ended with "Sound'.

Slayer had 4 Gold Albums as well. Testament, Exodus & Overkill do not have any sales in that amount.

So back to the original question about Testament being in the Big Four (or Five). Is it because of lack of sales (no gold or platinum) that they are not recognized or are the lack of sales due to their being considdered 2nd-teir and being labeled followers instead of leaders?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:17 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:

Slayer had 4 Gold Albums as well. Testament, Exodus & Overkill do not have any sales in that amount.

So back to the original question about Testament being in the Big Four (or Five). Is it because of lack of sales (no gold or platinum) that they are not recognized or are the lack of sales due to their being considdered 2nd-teir and being labeled followers instead of leaders?

I personally think it has to do with bad management and the wrong record label. Atlantic records had great success with AC/DC and Led Zeppelin as far as hard rock/metal but those guys had complete artistic freedom written into their contracts. When Atlantic signed Raven and Savatage they had no idea how to market them and even forced the band to adopt more commerical direction, with 'The Pack Is Back' and 'Fight for the Rock' releases. When it came to metal Atlantic was behind the curve, no clue unlike Polygram and Elektra that had great success with the bands on their labels.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:20 pm

The big four didn't like newcomers back then, i read articles where they would bag on bands like Tetsament or "Slayer Babies". They were not about to add more bands to their elite list.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:51 pm

Maybe someone should have coined the term "Little Four" for Overkill, Exodus, Testament, and Sepultura as second-wave thrashers with big impact.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 6:58 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Quote :

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Chuck's voice.

Is versatile... 🤘

And more listenable then James nowadays.

Much more listenable than James now.

Anyone know the figures for 'The Formation of Damnation'? Supposedly, it was the best selling Metal album at Amazon until Death Magnetic was released. As good as Magnetic is for a band that sucked profusely for 17 long years, the new Testament recording is even better.

It's frustrating because ya feel like grabbing every young moron that will go straight for the Metallica album and telling them that this other recording over here will not only suit their taste, but rock their socks off even better than the Metallica disc. But, a lot of 'em, they don't know no better. A lot of 'em don't even really like Metal. They'd just as soon grab for a U2 or a Coldplay record as a Metallica one.

Funny thing is that as good as the new Metallica is, all the other classic Thrash bands are putting out product that's even on a higher level of quality. Exodus especially, with their last three outings. Testament, Onslaught, Kreator. Who else?
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Marc Mason wrote:

It's frustrating because ya feel like grabbing every young moron that will go straight for the Metallica album and telling them that this other recording over here will not only suit their taste, but rock their socks off even better than the Metallica disc. But, a lot of 'em, they don't know no better. A lot of 'em don't even really like Metal. They'd just as soon grab for a U2 or a Coldplay record as a Metallica one.

Last time I was at Amazon, I bought Vengeance Rising's "Human Sacrifice" and U2's "The Joshua Tree". I guess I'm a young moron.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Schloopy-ono, never put yourself into the stereotype. If there WAS a mold, you would have chopped it up, mixed in a little tabasco, and fed it to the squirrels by now.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:00 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Schloopy-ono, never put yourself into the stereotype. If there WAS a mold, you would have chopped it up, mixed in a little tabasco, and fed it to the squirrels by now.

Si. Twas sarcasm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Schbopo wrote:
SAXON1500 wrote:

Si. Twas sarcasm.

I was just trying to give you a big Bart Simpson-like spikey head.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Yeah, Schloope gives me hope.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:08 pm

In my heart, they did make it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Yeah. They did. Success is a very subjective thing. And, I say they have. Now and forever. I give them a Win-Win.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 1:09 am

GrandNational wrote:
Maybe someone should have coined the term "Little Four" for Overkill, Exodus, Testament, and Sepultura as second-wave thrashers with big impact.

🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 1:54 am

Leatherface wrote:

Good answer.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 2:14 am

detuned wrote:
Leatherface wrote:

Good answer.

They're making a living from it, at least Chuck and Eric are. Smile
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 2:47 pm

IMO, TFoD was the best thrash metal release of 2008? Agreed? 🤘
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 2:50 pm

GrandNational wrote:
🤘 Me likey!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 3:21 pm

xyz wrote:
There was some kind of copyright infringement issue (based on their name) between the band and the copyright holders of the King James version of the Bible.

Plus, I believe Fred Phelps himself rallied his hatetroopers against them being included in any kind of "Big Five" thrash listing, apparently because he has some homophobic obsession with the number five? surprised

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Fredphelps2
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 3:32 pm

Troublezone wrote:
The big four didn't like newcomers back then, i read articles where they would bag on bands like Tetsament or "Slayer Babies". They were not about to add more bands to their elite list.

That's funny, because when I bought the "The New Order" after it had just been released, there was a sticker affixed to the C.D stating how Metallica was basically endorsing this album. I will never forget that, I thought that was so cool. Since, I was a Metallica junkie at the time, I thought the album had to be great, and it was.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next