Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?

Go down 
+25
Temple of Blood
DeathCult
mez
MetalH
metalinmyveins
TrogDawn
Leatherface
Schbopo
GrandNational
kmorg
Required Fields
MetalFRO
sam
Lurideath
SideShowDisaSter
Necrosultan
Stender
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
manny
Troublezone
7thSaviour
XYZ
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:15 pm

The term "Big Four" had more to do with the fact that Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth sold the most records.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:16 pm

It all comes down to timing just as MG says.Testament didnt release their debut until 3 years after the Big 4.Enough time to be considered second tier status.It has nothing to do with talent,musicianship or whatever.I agree Overkill should be in there.What other Thrash band has as many solid releases as them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:27 pm

Don't shoot me, but I never considered Testament to be a "first-tier" band. The Legacy was a fine record, but (to me) they became less interesting with each successive release until I basically stopped paying attention.

Overkill on the other hand SHOULD be in the first tier and are more than deserving of being included in "the big 5".
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:29 pm

Testament was a second tier band. I wonder more why there wasnt a big five of thrash that included Exodus...they were there during the same time as the others and actually had their debut recorded before kill em all and show no mercy...it just got released a few months later because of production issues.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:36 pm

Stender wrote:
Testament was a second tier band. I wonder more why there wasnt a big five of thrash that included Exodus...they were there during the same time as the others and actually had their debut recorded before kill em all and show no mercy...it just got released a few months later because of production issues.

In the case of Exodus, and this is just speculation here, but could switching lead singers from their debut to their 2nd release knocked them off course? Something like that could've made them lose some of the momentum they had with their hardcore fans that were there from the beginning.

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:38 pm

I really think it has to do with sales as any of the bands listed deserve a lot of respect. I think Testament didn't do what the fans expected, going more melodic on The Ritual but not getting the mainstream exposure like Metallica did on the Black album hurt them.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:43 pm

NumbskullakaNazgul wrote:
I really think it has to do with sales as any of the bands listed deserve a lot of respect. I think Testament didn't do what the fans expected, going more melodic on The Ritual but not getting the mainstream exposure like Metallica did on the Black album hurt them.

True, but that came much further down the line, when all of these bands were established acts. Which leads me to some other questions...

When did people start using the term "The Big Four"? It seems like it's been around for awhile now, but who coined it and when? Late 80's? Early 90's?

Metal novice
Metal novice
Necrosultan

Number of posts : 62

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:50 pm

Their name wasn't as marketable (Testament?). It doesn't stick to your senses like Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica and even Anthrax does.

Probably when people heard the name Testament or Exodus they thought more of Bible verses than music.

Personally Exodus is better than Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax combined!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 12:56 pm

Quote :
Don't shoot me, but I never considered Testament to be a "first-tier" band. The Legacy was a fine record, but (to me) they became less interesting with each successive release until I basically stopped paying attention.

scratch
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

scratch

Different folks different strokes.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Stender wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

scratch

Different folks different strokes.

I guess but still strange...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Troublezone wrote:

I guess but still strange...

I never said I was normal.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 1:50 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
I also remember reading how Megaforce owner (name slips my mind right now) kept turning them down, demo after demo

Johnny Zazula

That would be him. 🤘

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:34 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
I also remember reading how Megaforce owner (name slips my mind right now) kept turning them down, demo after demo

Johnny Zazula

That would be him. 🤘

I thought John and Marsha (his wife) co-owned Megaforce. Or was John more involved in the actual day-to-day of the label?

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:50 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Johnny Zazula

That would be him. 🤘

I thought John and Marsha (his wife) co-owned Megaforce. Or was John more involved in the actual day-to-day of the label?

Whatever happened to those 2? Are they still in the music business?

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 2:57 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Johnny Zazula

That would be him. 🤘

Still running Megaforce as far as I know.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 3:03 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Johnny Zazula

That would be him. 🤘

Still running Megaforce as far as I know.

I woulda thought that maybe they sold off their rights or something like that after all these years. Good for them if they're still doing it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 3:43 pm

John and Marsha are still running Megaforce.

I agree with Manny's post on this topic. 100% true.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 3:46 pm

bad timing, bad label, wrong location, bad luck, could have been any of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 6:02 pm

To answer the OP:
Because for all their efforts, they were too derivative of the early Metallica sound to truly achieve their own success. That, and their late entry (timing, as has been discussed) into the game probably sealed their position. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a fairly big Testament fan, so I'm not knocking their early Metallica roots at all. However, when you listen to their 1st 3 or 4 albums, you can hear that influence in there. As of "The Ritual" they started to go in their own direction, and from then on they truly had their own thing going. That said, I'm still a major fan of the band's early works and consider their interpretation of the early bay area thrash sound to be one of the top examples of the genre.

Overkill was as much punk as metal, from what I understand. In an interview w/ Blitz I have on VHS, he named off bands they were listening to early on: "We were into metal like Black Sabbath, Motorhead, The Sex Pistols, , so it was metal, but it was 'energy metal'". So their punk influence was pretty prominent, even in their earlier more trad-metal stuff before they became an out-and-out thrash band. I'll have to pull that interview out again & watch it so I can get the exact thing he said - I don't want to put my foot in my mouth!

Either way, both Overkill & Testament are worthy contenders of a "number 5" spot, and bands that ride that line between 1st and 2nd tier 80's thrash.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 01, 2009 10:12 pm

They were dubbed "Metallica clones" by some critics at one point. I never thought of them as such, however, and prefer them to Metallica (as much as I love 80s Metallica).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:12 am

I think MetalfRo and Required Fields pretty much nailed it. Testament were too close to Metallica's sound back then. They would have encroached upon Metallica's niche. If there was anything that would have broken them big at that time it would have been 1989's Practice What You Preach. But that release was already probably too late for a Thrash band. But, they had their small following. I never listened to them at the time, but I certainly heard of them. It wasn't until the most recent Testament release that I began travelling back in time to inquire into their back catalog. The Gathering is an awesome, awesome album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:15 am

Quote :

They were running a new label called "Bodog" or something, it's the label that put out the last Overkill album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:34 am

Chuck's voice.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 am

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Chuck's voice.

Is versatile... 🤘
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?   Why Didn't Testament Make It Big? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Didn't Testament Make It Big?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next