Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst drum sound on a metal record

Go down 
+24
metalheaded
Gilbert
Svengo
Fat Freddy
Getizzyback
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
Mglaffas81
Schbopo
thejokeriv
XYZ
metalinmyveins
GrandNational
Thrasher73
Zdan
Lurideath
manny
Hamer12
MetalRob331
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:00 pm

St. Anger is bad, but IMO, Death Magnettic sounds like he's beating the s*it out of a metal garbage can.

Last edited by Getizzyback on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I know it's Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 692390: here, but I cannot think of a worse drum sound than St. Anger. I can't even listen to that cd. Along with everything else that's wrong with that album, it physically hurts my ears to listen to it. I'm not being funny here. That 'ping' of the snare drum hits just the right nerve to cause me actual discomfort. I have never in my life experienced such a thing.

Yea, that constant PING-PING-PING-PING achieves a Chinese Water Torture sort of quality if you listen to it long enough.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:05 pm

What I find amazing about St. Anger is that they spent over a million dollars to record an album that sounded like my bands crappy 'demo' tape that we recorded on our ghetto blaster back when I was 13.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Laughing very hard Manny you are too funny! That's hilarious!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:14 pm

manny wrote:
What I find amazing about St. Anger is that they spent over a million dollars to record an album that sounded like my bands crappy 'demo' tape that we recorded on our ghetto blaster back when I was 13.

I think most of that million bucks went to pay for that high priced Dr. Phil wannabe therapist who helped them work through their personal issues (as chronicled in the "Some Kind of Monster" film). That's why there wasn't enough $$ left to make a decent sounding record.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 8:22 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
St. Anger is bad, but IMO, Death Magnettic sounds like he's beating the s*it out of a metal garbage can.

St. Anger certainly sounds like it's produced by a guy who has absolutely no knowledge of what The Metals sound like a'tall. Bob Rock...AND Hetfield too, both FAKED their way through that entire outing. They got rid of Shlock Rock, and I bet that the rest of the guys began just re-acquainting themselves with what real, ACTUAL Thrash Metal sounds like, post St. A. Because not only did the production improve dramatically with Death Magnetic, but the writing improved a hundredfold as well.

St. Anger sounded like the boys grabbed themselves a few, popular Nu-Metal titles, listened to 'em extensively, and then handed them off to Shlock Rock as an example of what they'd like the band to sound like. But, when I say 'boys', I actuall mean Jaymz and Larz. Watching that sad-ass documentary of theirs, you can tell that KIRK was just BITING his lip every step of the way with the material for St. A. He knew it was all schitt. But, he's been such a trained employee for so so long that he never dares to speak up, even when the cat knows he's right. Like, in the matter of whether the album should have guitar solos or not. He was correct in stating that, in fact, that decision would 'date' the material to a specific era. Which, of course, it did. But, then again, everything about that album is 'dated' to that sad 1998 through 2003 period in music.

I think that Death Magnetic has an awesome production...and, I'm willing to fight anyone who thinks otherwise.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 8:41 pm

Marc, Metallica's St Anger not my favorite Metallica album I donot believe it sounds like nu metal or I do even believe it sounds like it was influenced by nu metal. I have to admire that they went against the grain on 'St Anger' a produced an album that was unexpected by their fans and critics, I view at as artist statement and an experimental album that failed but IMO it was an interesting detour.

I do agree that it does sound like Metallica went back to their old albums and probaly albums that influenced them when they were first starting out.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 8:57 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
I think that Death Magnetic has an awesome production...and, I'm willing to fight anyone who thinks otherwise.

But the mastering oh God it's so compressed all to hell that I can't listen to it for any extended period of time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:30 am

Svengo wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:

But the mastering oh God it's so compressed all to hell that I can't listen to it for any extended period of time.

You are correct, sir. But, you name a recent release that hasn't been hyper-compressed. It's all the new rage, didn't hear? Everyone's doin' it. Don't be left out in the cold....I guess that's how they get the sucker to be so LOUD, right? It's probably the loudest Metal album I own.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 am

And justice for all, St anger and death magnetic.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am

Deliverance - first album....the bass drum has no low end and sounds clicky.

St. Anger, of course.

Stryper - TYABA remix from '86. Again, no low end in the bass drum.

Actually, any album where the bass drums lacks PUNCH. After all, that's what it's for! To add some punch to the sound. When it's just a little click, it's worthless.

As for snares, I'm pretty forgiving, but St. Anger tops 'em all for worst sound...it's like they did it on purpose. Toms...well, as long as you can hear them and they're in tune, then I'm cool with it. And all of the cymbals need to be heard, as well. Some albums sound like the drummer has no ride cymbal! That's mildly annoying.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Metallica - St Anger
Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh
Once Dead - Visions of Hell
Metal Church - The Dark (love the album but the snare is crap)
Def Leppard - Pyromania

Good call on St Anger for me thats my biggest problem with the album is the drums especially if you listen to Justice and just how tight the drumming was then St Anger that has drums that sound like garbage cans
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 10:13 pm

As much as I love "Never Say Die!", I've always been a bit conflicted about Bill's drum sound (the production, not his playing). "...And Justice For All" is another one for all the aforementioned reasons. Also, the inaudible bass always bugged me. I can't STAND when a band drowns their bass out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 10:36 pm

I will fight anyone who dares talk shmack about 'Justice'. The production on that recording is EXTREMELY PURPOSEFUL. If you don't GET WHY that album was produced exactly in the manner it was, then, most likely, you weren't around at the time the dang thing was delivered to the public. 'Justice' was recorded in precisely that manner as a comment on, and, slap in the face to, the entire recording industry during the second half of the 80's, which was releasing record after record of just the absolute dregs of artistic endeavor. Rock/Metal had been neutered, sterilized by a wave of super-glossy production techniques, which had moved in and made Rock/Metal into disposable product. The Def Leppards and Bon Jovis of the world had set the standard, and everyone seemed to be following suite....

Then, Metallica delivered their statement of 1988 which basically said that a rock record could be deeply emotional and intellectually moving without having to resort to even the slightest nod to the kind of highly superficial Pop culture production that is meant to get singles on the chart. Not only did Metallica make an extremely important statement with the production choices on 'Justice', but, because of it, 'Justice' now has one of the most 'distinctive' sounding productions of all of Rock history. You play any small section of the thing, and you know what it is instantly. I wouldn't have the album any other way...And, if anyone thinks about re-mixing or re-mastering this undeniable masterpiece, they'll have to get in line to fight me first.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 11:16 pm

I just don't like it (the production). I wasn't around then, but I formed an opinion based on what I heard. I think its three predecessors are superior, although there is some good material on there. I will say this though, I retract my comment on the bass being inaudible. It pretty much was on everything up to that point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 2:13 am

I will fight you.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:16 am

Marc Mason wrote:
I will fight anyone who dares talk shmack about 'Justice'. The production on that recording is EXTREMELY PURPOSEFUL. If you don't GET WHY that album was produced exactly in the manner it was, then, most likely, you weren't around at the time the dang thing was delivered to the public. 'Justice' was recorded in precisely that manner as a comment on, and, slap in the face to, the entire recording industry during the second half of the 80's, which was releasing record after record of just the absolute dregs of artistic endeavor. Rock/Metal had been neutered, sterilized by a wave of super-glossy production techniques, which had moved in and made Rock/Metal into disposable product. The Def Leppards and Bon Jovis of the world had set the standard, and everyone seemed to be following suite....

Then, Metallica delivered their statement of 1988 which basically said that a rock record could be deeply emotional and intellectually moving without having to resort to even the slightest nod to the kind of highly superficial Pop culture production that is meant to get singles on the chart. Not only did Metallica make an extremely important statement with the production choices on 'Justice', but, because of it, 'Justice' now has one of the most 'distinctive' sounding productions of all of Rock history. You play any small section of the thing, and you know what it is instantly. I wouldn't have the album any other way...And, if anyone thinks about re-mixing or re-mastering this undeniable masterpiece, they'll have to get in line to fight me first.

Maybe that theory is true but look at the record immediately afterward, its got some pretty glossy production in comparison to And Justice...
Maybe not Def Leopard glossy but still a pretty big jump nonetheless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:21 am

Quote :
Maybe that theory is true but look at the record
immediately afterward, its got some pretty glossy production in
comparison to And Justice...
Maybe not Def Leopard glossy but still a pretty big jump nonetheless.

I agree, but the band completely changed, or as is rumored, died and were replaced by robots. They lost the hunger once they tasted success with Justice. I don't believe production values or musical integrity were top priorities any more.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:20 am

Like most here I would say St. Anger. The only album I've ever heard where bad drum sound toally ruined it for me.

The only other albums who's drums sounded off to me were the other Metallica albums mentioned (Death Magnetic much more than Justice) but not enough to make me dislike them.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 11:31 am

So Far, So Good...So What! had a pretty awful drum sound as well.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 4:37 pm

st.anger DUH
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst drum sound on a metal record
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3