Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst drum sound on a metal record

Go down 
+24
metalheaded
Gilbert
Svengo
Fat Freddy
Getizzyback
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
Mglaffas81
Schbopo
thejokeriv
XYZ
metalinmyveins
GrandNational
Thrasher73
Zdan
Lurideath
manny
Hamer12
MetalRob331
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:19 pm

Metallica-And Justice For All sick
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:23 pm

Schbopo wrote:

You have consumed your last Kool-Aid my friend - IT'S MORPHING TIME Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 692390:
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:31 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Zdan wrote:

Also Horrorscope - Pictures Of Pain. I doubt anyone of you guys heard this but the drum sound ruins a perfectly fine Overkill/Annihilator/Testament-style thrash album.

Oh contrar my friend,I have that album and love it.I never noticed the drum issue though.

Wow! Somebody knows Horroscope (the band) here. From a guitar and vocal standpoint the album rules. However the drums really really suck. I have their live CD from those days and the sound on that CD is awesome - it shows how much these songs gain from a great drum sound.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:34 pm

Schbopo wrote:

One of the best produced/mixed albums IMO. The drums sound fantastic. The bass is not noticeable but who cares listen to James tone.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:45 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

One of the best produced/mixed albums IMO. The drums sound fantastic. The bass is not noticeable but who cares listen to James tone.

As a bassist I would actually love to hear a version of this album with some audible bass.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Zdan wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

As a bassist I would actually love to hear a version of this album with some audible bass.

If you really listen its there. The songs that are on Rock Band Blackened and And Justice For All sound killer with the bass audible.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:48 pm

I agree with Schbopo. And Justice For All has horrible sounding drums. Cardboard boxes and trash can lids is what those drums sound like!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:06 pm

I can't stand the drums on And Justice For All either. There's that awful little "clicking" noise on the bass drums, plus it's just too processed and separated. Instead of sounding like an actual drum set, it sounds like each piece was recorded separately and assembled afterward.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm

manny wrote:
Any Venom album where Abaddon plays on.

Shut yer face! angry
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Speaking of clicking, the kick drum on Testament's Practice What You Preach has a loud one.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:41 pm

detuned wrote:
I can't stand the drums on And Justice For All either. There's that awful little "clicking" noise on the bass drums, plus it's just too processed and separated. Instead of sounding like an actual drum set, it sounds like each piece was recorded separately and assembled afterward.

one of the best bass drum sounds on any record
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:44 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
manny wrote:

Shut yer face! angry

Totally seconded. I cannot imagine how those albums would sound with a good drum sound and a not-sloppy-as-hell drummer.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Zdan wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
manny wrote:

Shut yer face! angry

Totally seconded. I cannot imagine how those albums would sound with a good drum sound and a not-sloppy-as-hell drummer.

Who in the hell would want a good drum sound on a Venom album? That is almost blasphemy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:02 pm

Quote :

Who in the hell would want a good drum sound on a Venom album? That is almost blasphemy

OK. I taught youz was dissin' my boyz, yo.

Damn you Marc Mason! Mad
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:06 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

OK. I taught youz was dissin' my boyz, yo.

Damn you Marc Mason! Mad

It's all good dag
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:48 pm

St. Anger by a billion miles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Lurideath wrote:

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill. The toms sound ridiculous but still an awesome album.

Wow... Really? Its one thing I really liked about this excellent album.

My albums would have to be....

Phoenix Reign- Destination Unknown. I dont know how long or how many times I went through the drum tracks with our producer to find a good sound and just when I thought it was good and was happy with it, we would put it in another stereo and it would sound like crap. So it just got to the point where I was like whatever it sounds great here its done. We recently had the keyboardist from Revolution Renaissance remix the drums for our song Constantinople but I didnt care for what he did. You could hear the drums but he either used sampled drums or really overly mixed the drums that it just sounded too fake for me so we didnt use it.

Another album is Sodom- The Final Sign Of Evil. I cant even listen to the album because it is just horrible.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:08 pm

St. Anger. Yup. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:20 am

Place Of Skulls - With Vision

Excellent album, but that damn reverb-laden snare is horrendous.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 12:32 pm

detuned wrote:

I have more issues with the overbearing bass sound on that record.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:11 pm

The S/t from Slipknot has a terrible drum sound. I remember hearing Wait and Bleed from the S/t and thinking WTF trash cans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:13 pm

Quote :
Speaking of clicking, the kick drum on Testament's Practice What You Preach has a loud one.

I always wondered if that was because it was originally done on analog and when they transferred it to disc it picked it up? I never heard that on the cassette back in the day.

I don't like the sound on Overkill's I Hear Black, although, I think the whole production is poor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Troublezone wrote:
detuned wrote:

I have more issues with the overbearing bass sound on that record.

Yeah, the final mix on that record is just too compressed and processed, making it very "machine like". Which is unfortunate because the material cries out for a more organic, almost live in the studio type of recording. Regardless, I love the album though.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:46 pm

NumbskullakaNazgul wrote:
Quote :

I always wondered if that was because it was originally done on analog and when they transferred it to disc it picked it up? I never heard that on the cassette back in the day.

I don't like the sound on Overkill's I Hear Black, although, I think the whole production is poor.

Always loved the drum sound on that record, it has a real drum sound like you would hear outside of the studio. I love the production on that cd it is not over produced, and its just perfect to me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:40 pm

I know it's Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 692390: here, but I cannot think of a worse drum sound than St. Anger. I can't even listen to that cd. Along with everything else that's wrong with that album, it physically hurts my ears to listen to it. I'm not being funny here. That 'ping' of the snare drum hits just the right nerve to cause me actual discomfort. I have never in my life experienced such a thing.

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst drum sound on a metal record
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next