Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst drum sound on a metal record

Go down 
+24
metalheaded
Gilbert
Svengo
Fat Freddy
Getizzyback
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
A Handful of Wayne
Required Fields
Mglaffas81
Schbopo
thejokeriv
XYZ
metalinmyveins
GrandNational
Thrasher73
Zdan
Lurideath
manny
Hamer12
MetalRob331
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Worst drum sound on a metal record Empty
PostSubject: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:56 am

Metallica - St Anger
Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh
Once Dead - Visions of Hell
Metal Church - The Dark (love the album but the snare is crap)
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:09 pm

There is truly only one answer to this question...nothing has ever been as bad.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:11 pm

Overall drum sounds are one thing, but I've always detested the snare sound on Ultimatum's Perilous Times CD. I protested about that sound when we were recording. The engineer promised "we'll fix it in the mix". I protested the drum sound in the mix. The engineer said, "we'll fix it in the mastering". It never happened. What "we'll fix it..." actually translates to is, "shut up, this is the way I record, if you don't like it, get the heck out!"

Overall bad drum sound, yup, St. Anger is up at the top of the list.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:17 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What?

St. Anger, ya noob. It's common knowledge these days that when "worst drum sound" comes up, a Metal fans brain defaults to St. Anger.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Yeah.

They were experimenting with something new (which I can credit them for) but the experiment failed and the band should've realized that.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:32 pm

That is the worst snare drum sound.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:58 pm

The worst drum sound I've ever heard was on the first Deliverance album, especially the bass drum, sounds like it has beer cans rattling around in it.
St Anger is horrible also.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:59 pm

Any Venom album where Abaddon plays on.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Hamer12 wrote:
The worst drum sound I've ever heard was on the first Deliverance album, especially the bass drum, sounds like it has beer cans rattling around in it.
St Anger is horrible also.

Who knows? Maybe Jimmy threw his empty pepsi cans in there.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Our drummer swiped his sister's Strawberry Shortcake comforter & stuck it in his, sure did make it sound good though. We still rag on him about that to this day.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 pm

Avenger of Blood - Complete Annihilation. Not my fault whatsoever but the drums on our 1st album sound like absolute feces!

Kreator - Pleasure to Kill. The toms sound ridiculous but still an awesome album.

Once Dead - Visions of Hell

Metallica - St Anger
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Good I do not have that Avenger Of Blood album. I love the second one.

But to me there is only one answer and that is: St. Anger - if not for the drum sound the album would be at least a bit more listenable.

Also Horrorscope - Pictures Of Pain. I doubt anyone of you guys heard this but the drum sound ruins a perfectly fine Overkill/Annihilator/Testament-style thrash album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 pm

What the hell is wrong with the drum sound on Pyromania? surprised
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:

It sounds too big and triggered for my taste.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Quote :
Horrorscope

That's the way i like the drums. I believe Sid was using a piccolo snare which is a tighter/brighter sound.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Horrorscope

That's the way i like the drums. I believe Sid was using a piccolo snare which is a tighter/brighter sound.

Actually I meant the band from my country named Horrorscope and their album "Pictures Of Pain".
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Zdan wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Horrorscope

Actually I meant the band from my country named Horrorscope and their album "Pictures Of Pain".

Oh.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:29 pm

Zdan wrote:

Also Horrorscope - Pictures Of Pain. I doubt anyone of you guys heard this but the drum sound ruins a perfectly fine Overkill/Annihilator/Testament-style thrash album.

Oh contrar my friend,I have that album and love it.I never noticed the drum issue though.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:31 pm

I always hated the sound of Mortification's Hammer of God album. It seems so buried in the mix.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:35 pm

Hamer12 wrote:

Yeah. Remember that unaccompanied double bass drumming in "Victory"? The sound was dropping out and everything. Sounded terrible.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I was kind of surprised that you listed "Pyromania" also. Lars was so impressed with the overall sound regarding the drums on Pyromania that he asked if he might be able to use Rick Allen's "Black Beauty" drum kit for the recording of "Ride The Lightning". I can't remember if he actually was able to attain the drum kit or not???
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Great drum sound, imho.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:58 pm

I like the Pyromania drum sound!!!! The worst ever, with out a doubt, is St Anger.

I would add ANYTHING recorded at Mixing lab A or B (Studio used for most of the Intense Records releases) - the drum sounds out of that studio suck!!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:05 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I like the Pyromania drum sound!!!! The worst ever, with out a doubt, is St Anger.

I would add ANYTHING recorded at Mixing lab A or B (Studio used for most of the Intense Records releases) - the drum sounds out of that studio suck!!!!

I like the Pyromania drum sound and the production of the album is almost flawless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst drum sound on a metal record   Worst drum sound on a metal record Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst drum sound on a metal record
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next