Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Phasing out CD players...

Go down 
+25
the sentinel
metalheaded
kmorg
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
sam
James B.
candlemass
tohostudios
mc666
Gilbert
Required Fields
chucksteak
exact33
SAHB Healer
Stender
manny
Rex
Thrasher73
akeldama
metalinmyveins
RimShot
Troublezone
ultmetal
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 am

Quote :
Walmart is either a great comapny that is keeping this economy afloat or it's the biggest corporate monster since Nazi-ism

Unfortunately it's both.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 am

Sorry DB if it seems like I'm bashing on your employer here. We all gotta work. I work in a sporting arena and I could post a 3-page rant against America's obsession on professional athletes and sporting events too, but I still got bills to pay. So I'm just as bad when it comes to saying one thing and doing another.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:57 am

I want people to know that I am not a plug for the Wal-Mart Corporation. I'm not payed to defend them nor am I schooled in it. I have worked in all sorts of retail giants (Alberstons, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Target, 7-11) and Wal-Mart is the best job I ever had. Ive had in less than three years, over $2,000 in bonuses. No other job I've had did that (Alberstons give us scratch offs that are about to expire from time to time w/ our paychecks Rolling Eyes ).

What are some of these documentaries? I'd like to see some of these and form an opinion because I have'nt seen any of these. The thing about documentaries that makes me avoid them is that everytime you have a documentary maker with an agenda you can't always trust what they show you (yes, this includes those made by people on the right). Many times you get only one side of the story and the whole thing is slanted to validate the maker's agenda. Also, even if they show the opposite side of the argument, they interview the most radical wakko they can find. They can also edit these things so if they interview someone who contradicts their argument they can keep that away from the viewer. Documentaries should always be taken with a grain of salt. My dad used to tell me an old saying that is relevent here: Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. Another old bit of wisdom relevent is "There are three sides to every story. Mine, yours, and the truth."

Some questions that should be asked when watching these:

Do they give Wal-Mart's side of the story or do they soley go on other people's testimony?

Do they interview any small business owners who have nice things to say about Wal-Mart or is it only people bad mouthing it?

Do these people have any proof of Wal-Mart's bullying or is it just their word? It could be that they just couldn't compete and it's a case of sour grapes.

I understand your distrust of Wal-Mart based on what you know and I'm not trying to berate you. However, consider that you might not be getting the whole story.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:05 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I want people to know that I am not a plug for the Wal-Mart Corporation. I'm not payed to defend them nor am I schooled in it. I have worked in all sorts of retail giants (Alberstons, Tom Thumb, Kroger, Target, 7-11) and Wal-Mart is the best job I ever had. Ive had in less than three years, over $2,000 in bonuses. No other job I've had did that (Alberstons give us scratch offs that are about to expire from time to time w/ our paychecks Rolling Eyes ).

What are some of these documentaries? I'd like to see some of these and form an opinion because I have'nt seen any of these. The thing about documentaries that makes me avoid them is that everytime you have a documentary maker with an agenda you can't always trust what they show you (yes, this includes those made by people on the right). Many times you get only one side of the story and the whole thing is slanted to validate the maker's agenda. Also, even if they show the opposite side of the argument, they interview the most radical wakko they can find. They can also edit these things so if they interview someone who contradicts their argument they can keep that away from the viewer. Documentaries should always be taken with a grain of salt. My dad used to tell me an old saying that is relevent here: Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. Another old bit of wisdom relevent is "There are three sides to every story. Mine, yours, and the truth."

Do they give Wal-Mart's side of the story or do they soley go on other people's testimony?

Do they interview any small business owners who have nice things to say about Wal-Mart or is it only people bad mouthing it?

Do these people have any proof of Wal-Mart's bullying or is it just their word? It could be that they just couldn't compete and it's a case of sour grapes.

I understand your distrust of Wal-Mart based on what you know and I'm not trying to berate you. However, consider that you might not be getting the whole story.

Well put DB.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:10 pm

Troublezone wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Well put DB.

yes sir, very well put. I've noticed that db is quite the thinker.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:27 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I wish someone would phase out Wal-Mart.

Saxon no offence but you're full of crap. Thats called capitalism, if you don't like it you can go somewhere else.

Blow me dick-cheese. [no offence]
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:28 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I wish someone would phase out Wal-Mart.

Saxon no offence but you're full of crap. Thats called capitalism, if you don't like it you can go somewhere else.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:30 pm

Quote :

Leave it to Sax to give it to you staight. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:42 pm

I believe this was the one I saw on the Sundance channel...
http://www.walmartmovie.com/

If you google "Walmart is evil", you'll get plenty of sites with their "facts" and sure, most of them are by crack-pots with an agenda. I'll agree with you 100% on that one DB. But for every tin-foil hat wearing disgruntled employee, one or 2 may have a legitimate, reasonable point. And I could be wrong here, but as for the "other side of the story", from what I see, Walmart's basic response to all of this is "Suck it. We're Walmart." They don't counter-act these claims with proof as much as they either dismiss them entirely or come up with enough attorney-babbble jargon that leaves everyone scratching their head as to what was just said.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Reminds me of the movie The Blob when it keeps growing and growing while it devours everything in it's path.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Reminds me of the movie The Blob when it keeps growing and growing while it devours everything in it's path.

Yea, and just like the Blob, it's gonna take an army with frickin' laser beams to destroy it. Laughing

Eh, what are you gonna do? Walmart is a necessary evil in this day and age. I may not like 'em, but until I become independently wealthy or decide to take my family and go Unibomber-style and live off the land in a cabin up in the mountains, I'll still be shopping there. On occasion.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

If you google "Walmart is evil", you'll get plenty of sites with their "facts" and sure, most of them are by crack-pots with an agenda. I'll agree with you 100% on that one DB. But for every tin-foil hat wearing disgruntled employee, one or 2 may have a legitimate, reasonable point. And I could be wrong here, but as for the "other side of the story", from what I see, Walmart's basic response to all of this is "Suck it. We're Walmart." They don't counter-act these claims with proof as much as they either dismiss them entirely or come up with enough attorney-babbble jargon that leaves everyone scratching their head as to what was just said.

I looked through some of what you led to me and I can see your side of things. However, Wal-Mart is doing what the system allows them to do and right or wrong, it's all legal. I will admit that capitalism has it's flaws but again so do all the other systems. This argument will go back and forth and there will never be a solution. I'm sure Wal-Mart has it's flaws and many valid points are made by your side. However, I don't believe Wal-Mart is the only guilty party in this whole thing and I will shop there because the only solution is to avoid every big business that exists and I can't afford to stick to only small businesses who charge high prices and many times don't keep good stock of their merchandise. However, if someone doesn't like Wal-Mart and refuses to shop there, I can respect that (as long as they respect my opinion too).

I want to apologize to Uncle Saxon for dismissing him as being full of crap. I guess I'm just tired of Wal-Mart getting the entire blame for small businesses not making it. I understand that you don't like many aspects of capitalism and you are entitled to your opinion. While I disagree with you on many social and political issues, your not a bad guy and I respect you enough that I should have taken a better approach.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:52 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I looked through some of what you led to me and I can see your side of things. However, Wal-Mart is doing what the system allows them to do and right or wrong, it's all legal. I will admit that capitalism has it's flaws but again so do all the other systems. This argument will go back and forth and there will never be a solution. I'm sure Wal-Mart has it's flaws and many valid points are made by your side. However, I don't believe Wal-Mart is the only guilty party in this whole thing and I will shop there because the only solution is to avoid every big business that exists and I can't afford to stick to only small businesses who charge high prices and many times don't keep good stock of their merchandise. However, if someone doesn't like Wal-Mart and refuses to shop there, I can respect that (as long as they respect my opinion too).

I want to apologize to Uncle Saxon for dismissing him as being full of crap. I guess I'm just tired of Wal-Mart getting the entire blame for small businesses not making it. I understand that you don't like many aspects of capitalism and you are entitled to your opinion. While I disagree with you on many social and political issues, your not a bad guy and I respect you enough that I should have taken a better approach.

Yup, there's plenty of other businesses that are up to shady practices, without question. Walmart just happens to be the poster-boy for it these days. Heck, practically everything we purchase as a consumer can probably be traced back to a corporation with some skelatons in their closets. But like I stated above, until I pack it up and become a mountain-man, it's gonna have to do.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:57 pm

I guess me and db are the only ones that like wal-mart. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:59 pm

This discussion reminded me of this article I read awile back. It's humorous, but makes a point about the ol' skelatons in the closet...

http://www.cracked.com/article_15767_third-reich-fortune-500-five-popular-brands-nazis-gave-us.html

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 pm

Count me in the Walmart fan camp too.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 2:05 pm

lol!

Those were some cute kittens. Oh well, this is an evil world we live in and nobody is completly guiltless. That is one thing that makes me glad I'm a Chirstian. No matter what crap I have to deal with, one day it will be all moot.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 2:51 pm

I am not huge fan of Walmart but I shop there the same reason most of us do with a family, it s cheap, its close by and they usually have what you need in stock, expect maybe good CD's, but even that area, their selection is far from great but you can't beat their prices.
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 3:45 pm

heres a graph about walmart that's interesting. take a look

http://projects.flowingdata.com/walmart/
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:14 pm

I will say one thing, it's rediculous how may Wal-Marts there are in certain places (3 within the same distance from my house). But again, look how many McDonalds and 7-lls there are. The good thing about that is means plenty of jobs are availiable in some areas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:18 pm

Quote :
I will say one thing, it's rediculous how may
Wal-Marts there are in certain places (3 within the same distance from
my house). But again, look how many McDonalds and 7-lls there are. The
good thing about that is means plenty of jobs are availiable in some
areas.

Fat and lazy people don't like to go far from their homes to get crap. Believe me, I know.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:22 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I will say one thing, it's rediculous how may Wal-Marts there are in certain places (3 within the same distance from my house). But again, look how many McDonalds and 7-lls there are. The good thing about that is means plenty of jobs are availiable in some areas.

Same here. There are 3 within probably 5-8 miles of each other in my vacinity.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:24 pm

You're right about the fat part Spec. If I was attracted to 200+ pound women, I'd be in heaven working there. Good thing there's no weight limit in a store or my life would be in danger.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Quote :
If I was attracted to 200+ pound women, I'd be in heaven working there.

This is one of the main things that keeps me out of my Walmart. Their aisles are just too narrow for the majority of the patrons. I fear for my life.

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 6:05 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

No worries. Trust me, people generally are not on my level [not saying that level is higher or lower than anyone elses - just not the same]

My whole hatred of WM came in the early 90's when I heard that Sam-buddy was not allowing a Garth Brooks cd to be sold in any WM because he had 1 lousy f'inheimer on it!! Now, in many, many places in this country, American citizens either can drive 40-80 miles to the nearest place that sells music, or they can go down the street to the big generic blue and yellow eyesore. Of course, my close close bro-che Sam has every right to sell whatever he wants. But when one mans beliefs become censorship for the masses, that is a harsh slap up side the cranium of our constitutional rights. And remember - every time the will of one steps on the wills of many, that is one more brick in the wall towards tyranny. I am pretty sure we all moved over here, committed genocide against the natives, and flew the flag of CORPORATISM to get away from tyranny.

I am probably gonna take some crap for my stand awhile ago about the whole g*y/f*g thing. Because if I am against censorship, I should have kept my mouth shut about that, right? Hate speach is a different story. My friends here respected my wishes, for the most part, and I appreciate that. But at the same time, I know for a fact that I am not the only one that felt that way [as later pm's supported]. I am pretty sure no one else would have felt as comfortable as I, to speak up on the matter. Truth be told, it has nothing to do with comfort. I figured out my morals and standards very early, and I will always speak up about them. I actually knocked a guy unconscience in a Perkins one night cuz he would not stop using the N word. Some things ARE worth fighting for. As far as fighting against a mega-corporation with close to a trillion dollars at their disposal, I am smart about it. I spark debate, back it up with fact, and go on never letting them have one red cent that I bust my ass for. But that's just me. I live in a city with options, which makes living that way much easier.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phasing out CD players...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next