Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Phasing out CD players...

Go down 
+25
the sentinel
metalheaded
kmorg
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
sam
James B.
candlemass
tohostudios
mc666
Gilbert
Required Fields
chucksteak
exact33
SAHB Healer
Stender
manny
Rex
Thrasher73
akeldama
metalinmyveins
RimShot
Troublezone
ultmetal
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:13 am

What was really great about those 8-Track tapes was when the track would change in the middle of a song, or the players where you had to stick cardboard strips under the tapes to get them to play right!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:14 am

candlemass wrote:
What was really great about those 8-Track tapes was when the track would change in the middle of a song. Or the players where you had to stick cardboard strips under the taps to get them to play right!

Ah...memories!

I had to do the cardboard strips deal on several 8 tracks.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:17 am

candlemass wrote:
What was really great about those 8-Track tapes was when the track would change in the middle of a song, or the players where you had to stick cardboard strips under the tapes to get them to play right!

Isn't that what they made matchbooks for? 🤘

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:48 am

ultmetal wrote:
candlemass wrote:

Isn't that what they made matchbooks for? 🤘

🤘 Zig Zag's here 🤘
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:05 am

their selling this slot music garbage now,

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10746534

instead of a cd you get a sd card with mp3 tracks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:07 am

(Clutches CD player boom box, cries softly)

You're NOT obsolete, my little friend! You're NOT!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:35 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
(Clutches CD player boom box, cries softly)

You're NOT obsolete, my little friend! You're NOT!

LOL!!!!!

Thankfully the Blu Ray players are backwards compatable to CD's. Although, I rarely listen to music on my home system - it's usually in the car or at work, and that's my ipod. When I buy a new CD, it gets ripped and put on my ipod ASAP. I don't want the CD to go away - I want a hard copy of everything in case my hard drive crashes!!!!!!!! I also don't like the SD card music stuff. I wonder if those are cheaper to produce than CD's.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 10:37 am

I wish someone would phase out Wal-Mart.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 12:15 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I can help you with that. Just move to Europe! Cool

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 pm

Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 31yb4e10 Ult threatened me if I let this one out but here's his favorite 8-track album.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 2:05 pm

kmorg wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I can help you with that. Just move to Europe! Cool

Don't think I haven't considdered it. My dream is to return to Greece and become a volcano tour guide in the Greek Islands.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 pm

The way I see it is this: I can't do anything about the possible phaseout of CDs, but I look at it in a somewhat positive light by recognizing that there will always be PLENTY of CDs to purchase online. I mean, new albums might start being available only in digital format, which is a major bummer to be sure, but there are still THOUSANDS of older albums by thousands of bands that will always be trading hands in the used sections online. That will always keep me busy. Admittedly, I'm not in any way happy about CDs going away, but at least there will always be an older album that I can get and enjoy.

Now, if they start trying to phase out vehicle CD players, then they've got a fight on their hands! Don't tell me I can't play my CDs while I drive.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 3:36 pm

Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Walmart
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:54 pm

It's unfortunate and inevitable that compact discs will be phased out and mp3's will be king of the hill until they are phased out so they can try to make us buy the same album again. For the umpteenth time. For example, if you are some of our esteemed elder metal brethren like the mighty Wargod48, the venerable SAHBhealer, or the awesome tohostudios, it's possible that you bought Sabbath's "Paranoid" on album, 8-track, cassette, and CD.And now they want to get you to buy it again from the itunes store. Mp3's are a one shot deal in my opinion since there is no used mp3 store to go to. This could be very shortsighted on the part of a Wal-Mart and the big record companies in light of the recent trend of "exclusive" deals with big name artists like AC/DC, Journey, and The Eagles.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 12:31 pm

metalheaded wrote:
The way I see it is this: I can't do anything about the possible phaseout of CDs, but I look at it in a somewhat positive light by recognizing that there will always be PLENTY of CDs to purchase online. I mean, new albums might start being available only in digital format, which is a major bummer to be sure, but there are still THOUSANDS of older albums by thousands of bands that will always be trading hands in the used sections online. That will always keep me busy. Admittedly, I'm not in any way happy about CDs going away, but at least there will always be an older album that I can get and enjoy.

Now, if they start trying to phase out vehicle CD players, then they've got a fight on their hands! Don't tell me I can't play my CDs while I drive.

As far as cars, our 2004 came with a CD player and cassette deck, so that phase out will be much later than the phase out of the CD boom box
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 2:23 pm

I was in the local Walmart the other night and it appears that, at least in my store, they are slowly reducing their displays of compact discs as well as the cd players. Not that they've ever had the best selection to begin with, but over the holidays, I saw that they were redisigning some areas of the store. The music section, which used to be 2 or 3 aisles is now down to 1 and a half. If it ain't new this week or a 'greatest hits' comp, forget about finding any decent music there.

Walmart = Twisted Evil

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 2:26 pm

the sentinel wrote:
It's unfortunate and inevitable that compact discs will be phased out and mp3's will be king of the hill until they are phased out so they can try to make us buy the same album again. For the umpteenth time. For example, if you are some of our esteemed elder metal brethren like the mighty Wargod48, the venerable SAHBhealer, or the awesome tohostudios, it's possible that you bought Sabbath's "Paranoid" on album, 8-track, cassette, and CD.And now they want to get you to buy it again from the itunes store. Mp3's are a one shot deal in my opinion since there is no used mp3 store to go to. This could be very shortsighted on the part of a Wal-Mart and the big record companies in light of the recent trend of "exclusive" deals with big name artists like AC/DC, Journey, and The Eagles.

I have bought Rush - "2112":

Three times on vinyl
twice on cassette
once on 8-track
twice on CD

I refuse to buy an mp3 version! I'm done.

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Personally, I applaud the decision. Anything to keep people from giving the evil empire their money is cool with me. Just remember, every time you give Wal-Mart your hard-earned money, you are helping take away your own freedoms and helping kill another small business. That craphole has never seen a dime of my money and never, ever will. I will starve and go buck-naked before they do. Just my opinion, but more importantly, absolute FACT!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 10:52 pm

Damn you, Wal Mart...so evil...yet so convenient... angry
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 1:15 am

the only thing i ever purchased from walmart was a set of tires.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 3:40 am

Vinyl never went away completely so i doubt cds will either.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:24 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Wal-Mart gets too much flack if you ask me. They provide cheap groceries and other goods for low income families and they give a lot to charities and do a lot for the communities. As far as working there, while it's not paradise, they do treat their employees welll. We get good benefits (more if your full time but part time still gets health insurance after a while), we get paid well, and depending on certain factors (sales, lack of accidents, no wastful spending-i.e. causing damage to equiptment) we get several bonuses throughout the year (even part time gets a share after 6 months of service). Saxon no offence but you're full of crap. Thats called capitalism, if you don't like it you can go somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:50 am

I'm being hypocritical. While I don't like the place, I do shop there on occasion, along with Sam's Club. Can't argue with low prices, especially when you have a family to feed. But I've seen the documentaties and read the websites, so I'm aware of some of the more negative aspects of their stores and policies. It's all matter of opinion and sure, that kind of stuff can always be editied and skewed to a person or groups personal agenda, but I'm still not a fan of the place.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 10:52 am

Quote :
I've seen the documentaties and read the websites, so I'm aware of some of the more negative aspects of their stores and policies

What did it say about the store?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:09 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
I've seen the documentaties and read the websites, so I'm aware of some of the more negative aspects of their stores and policies

What did it say about the store?

Some unethical business practices and bully-ing smaller business out of operation. I'm not bright enough to fully understand the concept of capitalism, but I do understand the theory of "survival of the fittest", so I get that if you can't compete, you close up shop. But hearing the stories of the "mom & pop" businesses that have been around for generations getting wiped out in the blink of an eye is sorta sad. Again, it's all a matter of opinion and depending on your stance, Walmart is either a great comapny that is keeping this economy afloat or it's the biggest corporate monster since Nazi-ism. Since Sax seems to have more of a personal agenda with Mr. Walton, he could probably elaborate better than I.

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phasing out CD players...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next