Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Phasing out CD players...

Go down 
+25
the sentinel
metalheaded
kmorg
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
sam
James B.
candlemass
tohostudios
mc666
Gilbert
Required Fields
chucksteak
exact33
SAHB Healer
Stender
manny
Rex
Thrasher73
akeldama
metalinmyveins
RimShot
Troublezone
ultmetal
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Phasing out CD players... Empty
PostSubject: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Took this from another board:
Traveller wrote:
Just heard that shelf-systems that play CD's will be phased out this year by Wal-Mart. They are being replaced by shelf-systems that house ipods instead.

BOOOO!!!!

Stupid move IMO. Walmart is making a killing on those exclusive CD releases such as AC/DC and The Eagles. Why would they want to help kill the Compact Disc.

MP3s have become the death of music as we knew it.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:33 pm

That sucks!!! I don't like where this is heading. angry
Back to top Go down
RimShot
Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

Number of posts : 91

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:33 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Traveller wrote:
Just heard that shelf-systems that play CD's will be phased out this year by Wal-Mart. They are being replaced by shelf-systems that house ipods instead.

BOOOO!!!!

Stupid move IMO. Walmart is making a killing on those exclusive CD releases such as AC/DC and The Eagles. Why would they want to help kill the Compact Disc.

Agreed, stupid walmart. they are the MTV of retail :kickbutt:
Back to top Go down
http://www.therefineryrock.com
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Traveller wrote:

BOOOO!!!!

Absolutely disgusting. Case in point where technology totally sucks!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm

I'm not selling my discs. I'll hold on to them for when they come back, much like LPs are these days.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:38 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
I'm not selling my discs. I'll hold on to them for when they come back, much like LPs are these days.

yup
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:40 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

Thats my thoughts as well
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Make sure to get one last cd player and take care of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:48 pm

They'll still be around as specialty items but this is a stupid move by Wal Mart.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm

I wouldn't put much stock into what someone "heard" about a retail giant.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Rex wrote:
I wouldn't put much stock into what someone "heard" about a retail giant.

I wouldn't either especially like ULT pointed out they have made exclusive with AC/DC, The Eagles etc.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 2:57 pm

8-Track tapes rule!

Phasing out CD players... M8n9001

Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

Number of posts : 91

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
8-Track tapes rule!

Yeah!!!! Reel to Reel
Back to top Go down
http://www.therefineryrock.com
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:03 pm

ultmetal wrote:
8-Track tapes rule!

Yeah I have an 8track player and I was surprised how well the sound was the first time I tryed it out. Definately better than regular cassettes!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 7:30 pm

I've been putting some of my stuff on Ipod and hard-drive, and I don't think Cd's will die until after we do. It's a lot of work to load all that stuff onto the Ipod. I just load what I'm going to listen to in the immediate future, but the bulk of my collection (and my back-up) are alway going to be CD's. I just don't have time to transfer my whole collection, and I never will.
If a young person were just starting out I could see that CD's wouldn't make sense, but as long as the CD generation is still around I think there will always be a market. Maybe not at Wal-mart though.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 7:39 pm

I think too walmart will be sorry for phasing out cd players. Enough of the population still listens via a cd still and they wont be able to cater to those that need a new one. I do sadly think the era of the cd is coming to a close as the medium for widespread music release.

Alex

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Invest in a few of those Phillips DVD/CD/DivX players...they're only $40 each and they'll play anything....hook it to a receiver and you're good.

I'm keeping my Sony 50-disc changer til it blows up...but I'm also keeping an iPod...
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:14 pm

I admit I live under a rock but are those things really that popular? I have no idea what a ipod is. I can't believe that CDs and CD players are really going away that quickly. It seems impossible to even find a cassette player anymore. Just because it isn't the hip and trendy thing doesn't mean these things no longer exist or are used by people. Scary thing is that Wal Mart seems to be the leaders in this country for these things. Smurf technology is moving too quickly and making me old before my time. oh and another Smurf wal mart. I personally haven't set foot in one in at least a decade.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:45 pm

The music industry WANTS to kill off CDs, it's that simple. They have always aimed squarely at the 15-25 age bracket...and they are buying iPods and downloading music. Manufacturing CDs and printing booklets costs money...and the music industry has been losing money by the truckload on CDs over the last several years. They would love to offer a product that has no manufacturing or shipping costs involved.

As for Wal-Mart not selling "shelf-unit" CD players, who cares? Shelf unit CD players are junk anyway, if you really love music you're not going to be buying your components at Wal-Mart. There are PLENTY of online resources for purchasing CD players, DVD players, Blu-Ray players, turntables, etc, etc. Shelf unit stereos are aimed at the lowest common denominator, people who just want "some music" in the kitchen or the bedroom. Every DVD & Blu-Ray player out there also plays CDs, so we're really not losing anything of value here.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Troublezone wrote:
That sucks!!! I don't like where this is heading. angry

Me neither.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 1:15 am

Damn technology. Nothing will ever replace the classical cd. I hate downloaded music. Nobody's getting close to my collection Phasing out CD players... 382568
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 2:09 am

ultmetal wrote:
Traveller wrote:

BOOOO!!!!

what was his source for such information?

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:13 am

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Traveller wrote:

BOOOO!!!!

what was his source for such information?

I don't know. He somehow always has information on Wal-Mart. He knew about the AC/DC deal at Wal-mart early on as well. I'll have to ask him. I didn't think it was really that crazy of a thought. They barely have any home stereo systems now, so it wouldn't be a stretch for them to stop carrying them all together.

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:04 am

Quote :
Every DVD & Blu-Ray player out there also plays CDs, so we're really not losing anything of value here.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:07 am

That's what I was thinking too.

As long as they still make DVD players, why do I need a CD player?

PostSubject: Re: Phasing out CD players...   Phasing out CD players... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phasing out CD players...
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next