Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?

Go down 
+28
Leatherface
BillRoxx
Selvmord
Hamer12
nevermore
metalinmyveins
Ben Grimm
RimShot
Smindas
mez
Mglaffas81
DallasBlack
kmorg
Olafsto
Temple of Blood
skullsmasher
ultmetal
Gilbert
dirtracin1
Fat Freddy
manny
thejokeriv
Troublezone
EvyMetal
SAHB Healer
RevBilly6207
Schbopo
Required Fields
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Maynard - Tool
Brad Roberts - Crash Test Dummies (not metal)
Bruce Dickinson (during his solo career)
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (many times, super cool)
Mike Patton - hung with him twice, was super cool!
Joe Leste - Bang Tango
Back to top Go down
RevBilly6207
Metal novice
Metal novice
RevBilly6207

Number of posts : 45

What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:19 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
There are probably more but off the top of my head...
The Ramones - 1992

:::bows down:::

You are my new hero.

I'm thankful I got to see them live one time. They opened up for White Zombie, which I believe is illegal in 74 countries,or should be anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/once_dead
RevBilly6207
Metal novice
Metal novice
RevBilly6207

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:29 am

Ok Scott I must know what kind of guy was Vinnie Vincent?

Some kid once told me he met Vinnie and asked for an autograph. When Vinnie signed the album, he proceeded to scribble out the autographs of all the other guys, including Eric Carr. Had he done that to me, it very well could've been his final moment on earth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/once_dead
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 5:06 am

I will probably forget some, but thanks to festivals I've had a good chance to meet some of my favourite musicians at signing sessions or just around the site;

Dragonforce
Arch Enemy
Korpiklaani
Nevermore (minus Jim Sheppard who was ill at the time and was replaced by some other guy)
Sabbat (Martin Walkyier also just appears to be at every Bloodstock festival, so I've met him several times now)
Helloween (minus Andi Deris, unfortunately)
Blaze Bayley (who for some reason was at the aforementioned Helloween signing session, signing everyone's Helloween stuff. My Keepers Part I now has his signature - it's very strange)
Alestorm
Overkill
Iced Earth

I think that might be all. My favourite meetings were probably Nevermore (who were incredibly friendly and talkative, especially Jeff and Warrel), Iced Earth (because it was Iced Earth with Matt and they'd just played an amazing show) and the most recent time I ran in to Martin Walkyier (who is again very friendly and talkative).

Ult, your list is huge! You've met some great musicians, clearly.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 am

RevBilly6207 wrote:

Some kid once told me he met Vinnie and asked for an autograph. When Vinnie signed the album, he proceeded to scribble out the autographs of all the other guys, including Eric Carr. Had he done that to me, it very well could've been his final moment on earth.

He was nice enough. I met him on his first tour with the Invasion. They did an autograph signing at the House of Guitars in Rochester, NY. He signed a promo photo I had. I went with a bunch of guys from college. Nobody seemed to have any complaints about him or any of the other guys in the band.

ult

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:06 am

RevBilly6207 wrote:

I'm not Ult but I had a similar experience with Vinnie. I met him at the 1995 KISS Expo in New Jersey. I had him sign the cover of my LICK IT UP CD and when he autographed it his signature scrawled over the faces of everyone else on the cover except him. At first I was like "what a douche," but later I kinda chuckled about it and said "OK, that guy's obviously still got some issues."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
RimShot
Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

Number of posts : 91

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:34 am

I grew up with a few of the guys from Metal Church, and I'm not too proud to admit that I graduated with Chris from Nirvana.
Back to top Go down
http://www.therefineryrock.com
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:48 am

Most of the band member I have met are not super famous by any means. I met Rob, Lester, Noah from Pillar, they were all very cool down to earth guys. I met Trevor form Thousand Foote Krutch. I am friends with Matt from Feast Eternal, and have met John and T.J. from Feast Eternal.

Out of the rock/metal scene I met KJ-52.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:58 am

Oh yes, not metal and not famous, but I met rapper Micheal Peace back in the day. Always enjoyed his music, cheesy as it was.

Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 am

I've met (maybe not too famous but should be) Darrell Mansfield, Glenn and Wendy Keyser, Les Carlsen, Michael Bloodgood, Josh Kramer, Mike Lee and Rex Scott.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:11 am

Josh Kramer is one cool cat! 🤘 He's an odd duck, but the nicest guy you'll ever run into.

Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:17 am

I actually started taking guitar lessons from Josh in the late 80's. Of course, I didn't stick with it, what do you expect; I'm a drummer...lol
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:42 am

Olafsto wrote:
Back in 86 i met James Hetfield, Kirk Hammet and Lars Ulrich.
They were all very friendly and down to earth, sat and talked and drank beer with them for about an hour.

Did you meet them when they played in Oslo? If so, that was the 2nd to last show with Cliff. Sad

I met them on January 31, 1993 at the Rockford Metro Center. The venue allowed people to come in early that day, and watch the Super Bowl on the jumbo tron before the concert. That would've been Super Bowl XXVII Dallas vs Buffalo, which wasn't much of a game. We had seats in the 10th row, and what I remember to be a great setlist (Very different from the show I had seen in March of 92'. Metallica were wrapping up the list of cities that they skipped over initially on their American tour.

Anyways, my buddy and I went by the Clocktower Inn (which was thee hotel back then). I figured that if Metallica was staying in town, they would be staying here. Well, my instincts served me well. When we walked in hotel there were a few fans (15-20) that were able to congregate in the back lobby of the hotel. The buzz was that Metallica had stayed there the night before, and would be staying there that night as well.

About a 1-2 hours after the show James/Kirk arrived in their transportation. James was with a woman that I believe would be his wife. Both James/Kirk talked with every fan and signed everything. They were very gracious. The reason these guys seemed genuine was that not only did they talk to every fan, but they actually looked at them when they were talking. Sometimes when you meet someone who is considered a star, they seem constantly distracted, like their fans aren't even in front of them...well this wasn't the case with them.

Lars/Jason arrived about an hour after James/Kirk got to the hotel. Everyone flocked to Lars, so I made the mad dash to Jason. Jason seemed to be less approachable. He wasn't meen per se, but it seemed like he didn't relish the rock stardom aspect. Maybe he was surprised when I actually walked over to him. I spoke with him briefly, but he was the one in the band who seemed the most preoccupied. He wanted to know where something was in the hotel, and I told him, and then he went off to his room. I was able to snag a moment with Lars, as he was just about to head off to his room. One of the girls in the hotel that night had a camera (she grabbed it from her car after James/Kirk had gone to their room), so I asked if she would take a picture of myself with Lars. She acquiesced, and she gave me her number so I could get the pics. For whatever reason, I didn't get my hands on that picture until years later. I can't remember what happened, but somehow I tracked her down, and she still had that picture of me with Lars (though she had never met me previous to that day).

The guys in the band couldn't have been more accomodating, and we were told by their entourage (same guys you'll see in The Year in a Half in the Life DVD) to come by in the morning if we needed anything else signed. I got what I needed, and had a permanent smile for a long while. I had been a pretty big fanboy of Metallica since 1986, and that lasted for quite a few years even after 1993. If I saw something Metallica, whether it be a bootleg, poster, magazine, etc...I grabbed it. Thank God these guys were cool, because if they hadn't been, it probably would've destroyed me at the time.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:33 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Olafsto wrote:
They were all very friendly and down to earth, sat and talked and drank beer with them for about an hour.

Did you meet them when they played in Oslo? If so, that was the 2nd to last show with Cliff. Sad

A friend of mine claims that he hitch-hiked with Metallicas tour bus after that gig in Oslo (or was it Drammen or Skedsmo?). He and another friend of his just started to help the roadies take down the gear, and they offered them a ride home. We live near the boarder, so he walked of the bus close to home. He also talks about drinking beer and Jägermeister with the band. Little did he know that he would be one of the last fans that were to meet Cliff Sad

Another friend of ine met up with Metallica after a gig at the infamous Donington gig in '93 I think? He got my black album CD cover signed by all of the members Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:46 pm

kmorg wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

A friend of mine claims that he hitch-hiked with Metallicas tour bus after that gig in Oslo (or was it Drammen or Skedsmo?). He and another friend of his just started to help the roadies take down the gear, and they offered them a ride home. We live near the boarder, so he walked of the bus close to home. He also talks about drinking beer and Jägermeister with the band. Little did he know that he would be one of the last fans that were to meet Cliff Sad

All I have to say is wow... and now I'm depressed. R.I.P. Cliff Burton.

kmorg wrote:
Another friend of ine met up with Metallica after a gig at the infamous Donington gig in '93 I think? He got my black album CD cover signed by all of the members Very Happy

Actually Metallica played Donington in 1985, 1987, 1991, 1995, so that would've made it probably the 91 show, but maybe 1995?
Back to top Go down
RimShot
Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Metallica R.I.P. after "and justice for all" hehe.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:00 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
kmorg wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

kmorg wrote:

Actually Metallica played Donington in 1985, 1987, 1991, 1995, so that would've made it probably the 91 show, but maybe 1995?

Oslo yes, or Lillestrøm to be exact. The gig was in Skedsmohallen outside Oslo.
The whole story is of course my best metal moment ever, but also a very sad story.
My best friend and me arrived early and while walking up the main road in Lillestrøm, i saw James standing outside a bar. We ran like mad in to a store to buy pen and paper. We then walked over to him and asked for his autograph, after we got that he went inside and we followed.
The bar was in the basement of the building, and the people inside were mostly journalists.
We just acted like we belonged there, and to our delight we also met Kirk and Lars inside.
Imagine yourself sitting there with the three of them, sipping beer and talking to your biggest heroes, we were in heaven.
Got autographs on paper and on my jacket. Sadly we did not have a camera..
We were there until they left to prepare for the show.
The gig was unbelievably great, Anthrax opened (Spreading the disease just released i think), and Metallica were of course on their Master of Puppets Tour.
Now to the sad part of the story.
Cliff dying just a couple of days after was a great shock. He was ment to be at that bar, but we were told that he was not feeling well when the other guys left, so he stayed at the hotel to rest. It would have been very spesial to have met him..
A year or so after we met them, my best friend, who were with me that day, died in motorcycle crash...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Olafsto that is very cool story and bitter sweet story also, but I am glad that you walked away with great memories of that day and of your best friend.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 3:14 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
kmorg wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

kmorg wrote:

Probably '95 then. I think it was the last of the classic Donington festivals. I think Sepultura played there also, which reminds me that I have also met Igor, Andreas and Paulo from Sepultura Very Happy One of the last times they played together with Max (Max never showed up to meet the fans that day).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:17 pm

I've met a few.

Ace Frehley
Bulletboys
Tuff
Enuff Z'Nuff
Bang Tango
Babylon A.D.
Life Of Agony
Stuck Mojo
Sevendust
Crowbar
The Misfits (American Psycho line-up)
Trouble
Confessor
Green Carnation
Ben Falgoust and Sammy Duet from Goatwhore
Barney Greenway from Napalm Death
Brian Fair from Shadows Fall
Reed Mullin from C.O.C.
God Forbid
Drain STH
Nevermore
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Olafsto wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
kmorg wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

kmorg wrote:

The whole story is of course my best metal moment ever, but also a very sad story.
My best friend and me arrived early and while walking up the main road in Lillestrøm, i saw James standing outside a bar. We ran like mad in to a store to buy pen and paper. We then walked over to him and asked for his autograph, after we got that he went inside and we followed.
The bar was in the basement of the building, and the people inside were mostly journalists.
We just acted like we belonged there, and to our delight we also met Kirk and Lars inside.
Imagine yourself sitting there with the three of them, sipping beer and talking to your biggest heroes, we were in heaven.
The gig was unbelievably great, Anthrax opened (Spreading the disease just released i think), and Metallica were of course on their Master of Puppets Tour.
Cliff dying just a couple of days after was a great shock. He was ment to be at that bar, but we were told that he was not feeling well when the other guys left, so he stayed at the hotel to rest. It would have been very spesial to have met him..
A year or so after we met them, my best friend, who were with me that day, died in motorcycle crash...

Wow, that whole story was pretty gripping...I'm sorry about your friend, but at least you had that moment with him. The irony though, regarding both Cliff and your friend.

The other thing I realized, you were at the last show where John Marshall (guitar tech at the time) had played for James Hetfield. Hetfield was in his last day of recovering from his broken wrist ( I believe) from skate boarding that summer. His first of two breaks. Cliff's last show in Stockholm, Sweden was James first gig back at guitar since I believe sometime in July. Rumor has it that John Marshall used to hide behind the crosses on the stage due to his stage fright. Cliff was the one who used to coax him out from behind the crosses. Any memories regarding John Marshall playing that night???
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:25 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Olafsto wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
kmorg wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

kmorg wrote:

Wow, that whole story was pretty gripping...I'm sorry about your friend, but at least you had that moment with him. The irony though, regarding both Cliff and your friend.

The other thing I realized, you were at the last show where John Marshall (guitar tech at the time) had played for James Hetfield. Hetfield was in his last day of recovering from his broken wrist ( I believe) from skate boarding that summer. His first of two breaks. Cliff's last show in Stockholm, Sweden was James first gig back at guitar since I believe sometime in July. Rumor has it that John Marshall used to hide behind the crosses on the stage due to his stage fright. Cliff was the one who used to coax him out from behind the crosses. Any memories regarding John Marshall playing that night???

You know your history my friend Very Happy .
I had totally forgot about James`s broken arm. But i remember now that there was a lot talk about it in magazines, and among us fans.
If my memory is not totally blown, i believe James actually played guitar in Oslo. At least i think he had his guitar with him on stage...
Let me see if i can find some old pictures from the gig.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:33 pm

Olafsto wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Olafsto wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
kmorg wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Olafsto wrote:

kmorg wrote:

You know your history my friend Very Happy .
I had totally forgot about James`s broken arm. But i remember now that there was a lot talk about it in magazines, and among us fans.
If my memory is not totally blown, i believe James actually played guitar in Oslo. At least i think he had his guitar with him on stage...
Let me see if i can find some old pictures from the gig.

I used to eat, sleep, sh!t everything Metallica for a number of years. I have the 3rd to last gig, and the final gig of Cliff of that tour on a bootleg. I could've sworn that James first show back behind the guitar was Cliff's last show, but you would know better than I, since you were there. I can't lie, I'm very envious that you had the opportunity to see Cliff live. I didn't see my first Metallica show until November of 1988 at the Mecca in Milwaukee (Queensryche was the opener).
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:36 pm

Bride- opened for them in 92
Stryper
Whitecross
Pantera - opened for them a few times in late 80's. Have played golf with Rex twice, He whooped my arse.
Down
COC
James Burton
Kenny Wayne Shepard - prick
Hank Jr & Hank 3
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Lacuna Coil (all members)
Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)
Maria Brink (In This Moment)
Peter Tagtren (Hypocrisy)
Drain STH (all members)
Ronnie James Dio (Dio)
Scott Ian (Anthrax)
King's X (all members)
Orange Sky (all members)
Kenny Hicky (Type O Negative)
Maurizo Iaconno (sp?) (Kataklysm)
Soilwork (all members in 2006)
King Fowley (Deceased / October 31)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?   What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What famous/semi-famous metal musicians have you met in person over the years?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next