Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!

Go down 
+20
Lurideath
abiathar
T-Roy
Dave the Boss
MetalFRO
MetalH
powermacho
candlemass
metalhead777
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
AchrisK
nevermore
kmorg
Troublezone
mc666
shamgar75
sam
ultmetal
GrandNational
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 1:06 am

SpectreFate wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I spoke to the owner of Retroactive and Bombworks today and he thinks this is the best Mortification CD in a long time. Seems people either love it or hate it.

I think it's the best since Relentless.
The same with me. I didn't like the 2 albums that came after Relentless. It's just the doom songs that steve has been doing before that I don't like. Good thing he decided to get ADAM back, but I miss Lincon Bowen. His sound fit really good on mortification
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 8:57 pm

Not me, I dug the doom tunes, I also thought Goblin was a great lp. This one just came in the mail today, I like it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2009 6:08 pm

I have got this album on the way. I'm looking forward to hearing it.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:38 pm

This CD has really grown on me! At first I was very dissapointed, but with extensive listening it has really opened up to me. There is some fantastic playing on this, and both Mich, Adam and Steve brings some of their best performances to it. Def. a grower.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:08 pm

I agree kmorg.

You know, I sort of wonder why Christian bands like Mortification don't garner the same respect that longstanding secular metal bands get. Bands like Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, Judas Priest, Exciter, Anvil, Dio, Metal Church, Megadeth, Loudness, Motorhead, etc. etc. etc. have all released their share of stinkers, yet are generally regarded in very high regard in metal circles. You never hear people saying that Iron Maiden should give it up, even though to most fans their newer albums don't compare to their earlier works. However, people all over the internet who claim to be fans are completely disrespecting Mortification and saying they should give it up. How odd.

Shouldn't a band of Mortification's stature and longevity receive the same respect?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:19 pm

You'd think so. Although, it's not surprising to me. Same thing with Living Sacrifice and many others.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:35 pm

T-Roy wrote:
You'd think so. Although, it's not surprising to me. Same thing with Living Sacrifice and many others.

Well, with Living Sacrifice there is a slightly different scenerio. They changed styles with the trends and instead of gaining a core fan base, they just gained the fans of those particular trends. They started off as thrash, but then death metal became the trend so that's the direction that LS went. Then death metal wasn't the thing and it was metalcore, so they hoped on that trend. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but it certainly is a different scenerio from other bands like Mortification, Metal Church, Motorhead, Exciter, etc. with a long history that stuck to a sound regardless of trends.

Unfortunately many Christian bands did this. Guardian, Bride, Living Sacrifice, Whitecross, Eternal Decision, Holy Soldier. It may have helped them in the long run, but in time, without a core fanbase supporting you, it doesn't garner much long term respect.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 3:36 pm

I don't see the difference but I know you're not a post "Reborn" fan. LS has an impressive longevity of quality metal. Mortification too and an even bigger discography.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:09 pm

who knows why exactly it is like that. Christian metal music has been very underestimated, and I don't get it. People should prefer music with positive message, and something constructive rather to hear some lame lyrics about sex,drugs, violence, etc... that we hear most of the time on any other band.

The last Seventh avenue album TERIUM should give them the respect they deserved, but there is not even a distribution for the USA. I mean what is going on?
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:16 pm

Well I too have been listening to this a little. Its not bad. The worst album cover with the worst title in the history of metal to me, but the songs are actually good and his voice isn't annoying as it was. The vocals sorta remind me of Gorefest in a sense.

Although I think Steve Rowe should really start thinking about titles and covers making them better because it does hurt them in the long run. Mortification only has longevity to those that have followed them. They released way too many below par albums in their entire collection to have the same longevity and staying power than bands such as Priest, Maiden, Motorhead and others have. Plus the Christian stance does not help them. Its just the truth. I am not dissing what they or many of you believe, its just the way it is.

T-Roy mentioned LS has an impressive longevity in metal. I strongly disagree because they haven't made a METAL album in over 15 years.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 4:34 pm

Like I said...just cuz somebody doesn't like a certain genre or style doesn't make it "not metal". And I agree with what you said about Mort. If you can't even peek interest off your album title you're already starting off behind.

I find it somewhat of a contradiction wanting Christian bands to gain popularity and legitimacy for their music in the secular scene. I think as long as a band has a "Christ" message in their music there will always be separation if not contempt in the secular scene. Which is to be expected and is a normal part of Christian ministry. Like blending light and darkness. Some are more accepting than others but not the majority.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 8:11 pm

Lurideath wrote:
T-Roy mentioned LS has an impressive longevity in metal. I strongly disagree because they haven't made a METAL album in over 15 years.
No they just haven't made the type of metal album you like in 15 years. You do know there is way more then one type of metal?
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 pm

powermacho wrote:
The last Seventh avenue album TERIUM should give them the respect they deserved, but there is not even a distribution for the USA. I mean what is going on?

Nokternal Hemizphear carried the album for a while, though I missed my chance to get it while it was in the store. We should all e-mail Jason and let him know he needs to get more copies Smile

[b]7thSecond[/b] wrote:
No they just haven't made the type of metal album you like in 15 years. You do know there is way more then one type of metal?

QFT! Just because some don't like the "core" aspect of it doesn't mean it can't be metal. Personally, I think "Reborn" is quite possibly their strongest disc in terms of overall songwriting, construction, and presentation. As much as I love "Inhabit" and am a thrash fanatic, I think their post-DJ stuff was a bit stronger.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 pm

I also missed the oportunity to get it, and it's kind of hard to find it right now. It's is also sad, because they sound much better than any other power metal right now. even better than those famous bands like helloween,and edguy.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 11:39 pm

^^ Well, those 2 bands you mention (along w/ Blind Guardian) have sort of lost the plot of late. Not that they can't be experimental or do their own thing, but I think the results of those bands most recent efforts have been hit or miss. I loved BG's "A Night at the Opera" though some are not as keen on it as I, but "A Twist in the Myth" just sort of seemed like a blatant stab at obtaining a wider audience (at least in Europe). "Terium", on the other hand, shows Seventh Avenue continuing to push themselves to new heights in songwriting, production, and overall improvement of sound, which is what you want to hear out of a band. If they're not constantly improving, they should at least be maintaining some level of consistency, even if there's a lesser album in that stretch. I'm VERY curious to hear what Seventh Avenue pulls out of their hat next, and how they will be able to top "Terium", if that's possible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 3:27 am

Lurideath wrote:
Plus the Christian stance does not help them. Its just the truth. I am not dissing what they or many of you believe, its just the way it is.

There is a lot of truth to what you just wrote, but I also think that some Christians, rather than being supportive of bands like Mortification, tend to put them down and say they suck and should quit because they're not trendy and what not, which is sad.

Last edited by GrandNational on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 3:37 am

Lurideath wrote:
They released way too many below par albums in their entire collection to have the same longevity and staying power than bands such as Priest, Maiden, Motorhead and others have.
agreed. i like Morty, but i honestly do not see how they could possibly be mentioned in the same breath as Priest & Motorhead. do they all have stinkers? yes (Jugulator & Demolition, anyone?). but, was Morty as groundbreaking as the others?... no way, no how.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 5:56 am

mc666 wrote:
Lurideath wrote:
They released way too many below par albums in their entire collection to have the same longevity and staying power than bands such as Priest, Maiden, Motorhead and others have.
agreed. i like Morty, but i honestly do not see how they could possibly be mentioned in the same breath as Priest & Motorhead. do they all have stinkers? yes (Jugulator & Demolition, anyone?). but, was Morty as groundbreaking as the others?... no way, no how.

In the Christian metal scene they were groundbreaking. And they were good enough for Nuclear Blast! But I agree, changing their sound hurt this band the most.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:18 am

I received my CD of TEADM from soundmass.com a little over month ago and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the packaging too as it is probably one of the most sturdy digipaks that I have seen. Heck I love the cover too as I have always been a big fan of Troy Dunmire's work.

Much love and respect to my friend Steve Rowe for following his heart and putting out, in my opinion, another great effort that I will enjoy for years to come.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:42 am

I love A Twist in the Myth, as well as ANATO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:27 pm

I bought it last week from ebay and first i was a little disapointed because i realy loved ERASE THE GOBLIN after listening it for the first time. This new album takes you back to MORTIFICATION of the mid till late 90s, not my fave but after 3 listenings, i started to like it more. Now i like it.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 5:05 pm

After hearing things about Steve's current condition and frustration I'd really like to buy this album. But the thing is that all the samples I've heard from this album have been really awkward to listen. Sure, the solos and the drums are surprisingly amazing but the song structures and the riffs are, to my ears, so below the average that I doubt I could listen the album much...

I now own Scrolls of the Megilloth, Blood World, Primitive Rhythm Machine, EnVision EvAngelene, Triumph of Mercy and Hammer of God. I'm hearing some loss of quality song writing starting from Blood World. That album still is mostly fine though. EnVision has a couple of really bad songs but also a couple of really good songs. Triumph of Mercy has only a couple of short parts in a couple of songs that I actually manage to like but the rest of the album is something that makes me feel physically bad. I admire the fact that Steve fought back in the battle with his illness and managed to produce a new album. I haven't got anything against a three or even two-note riffs but when those riffs are built with notes that just don't really fit to each other and when they just don't manage to be in the tiniest bit interesting I just start feeling bad.

I know this sounds bad and I wouldn't like to diss Steve's efforts but then again I don't want to lie either. And I'd really like to hear Steve write good songs again.

Hammer of God isn't fantastic album either but I think it was a step in the right direction and some songs even are good from the beginning to the end.

Their newest album reminds me of Triumph of Mercy the most. Based on what I just wrote that doesn't really make me want to buy the album, eh Very Happy
On a bit freaky side though I totally like that way over the top album title! The Evil Addiction Destroying Machine! Great! Actually I have this small urge to buy the album just because of the name of it Very Happy But thinking about it rationally I just have to skip buying it.

If I had much money, I'd buy it just to support Steve but now as I have enough money to buy only a couple of CD's and DVD's in a month I have to try buying the entertainment I really like to watch and hear (and movies are more important than CD's as I'm quite a big movie fan and studying film making, so I really need more movies than music). There are many other CD's in the line for me to buy before any of the Mortification albums. Although I think I really have to buy Post Momentary Affliction and Brain Cleaner some day (Livin' Like a Zombie sounds awesome and I think I could buy the album just for that song).

Anyways, I wish Steve well and even if I dislike the samples I've heard off the new album I still give two thumbs up for the album title and the cover art. And who knows, maybe I'll some day buy the album just because of those two things Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 8:20 am

I think that is the case with many people right now. They just don't have the money to throw around. There are so many CD releases coming out and obviously the economy isn't going to be kind to non-neccessities like music.

PostSubject: Re: New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!   New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Mortification Album 2009 - Sound samples up now!
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4