Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Female fronted metal bands

Go down 
+16
Stender
DallasBlack
GrandNational
Schbopo
romeolimagolf
MetalRob331
mc666
manny
MetalGuy71
Rex
ultmetal
sam
Thrasher73
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Looking at the cover I would assume they were hardcore band, when I get home I am going see if Youtube has any Detente and Octavia Sperati videos uploaded so I can check them since detuned recommeded them and we seem to have similar taste in music
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 3:21 pm

detuned wrote:
Rex wrote:
Usually not my thing, ESPECIALLY when the lady is doing extreme vocals.

Yeah, I just don't understand the idea of getting a female vocalist...and then have her do the whole death metal thing...what's the point?

the point would be finding a professional, capable singer that loves the style & can get along in a band situation. why would it matter that she has a vagina?

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 3:26 pm

mc666 wrote:
detuned wrote:
Rex wrote:

Yeah, I just don't understand the idea of getting a female vocalist...and then have her do the whole death metal thing...what's the point?

the point would be finding a professional, capable singer that loves the style & can get along in a band situation. why would it matter that she has a vagina?

I can totally understand that.

I was referring more to the idea that having a female singer in a band increases your sonic choices, expands the palette so to speak. But having them growl kind of defeats that. But hey, if she loves singing in the death metal style (as the girl from Arch Enemy definitely does) then more power to her.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 3:29 pm

mc666 wrote:
detuned wrote:
Rex wrote:

In that context, you're right. It shouldn't matter. But I think the point he was making is why get a female that's trying to sound like a male? Why not just get a guy?

Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Kate French is one female singer I like. Her stuff with Vainglory rules!!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Arch Enemy, Doro, and Lita Ford do it pretty good. Other than that I don't much care.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 4:21 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I used to love female fronted metal bands but now I'm more picky. I need the vocalist to have something unique about her voice. Which is one of the main reasons I don't like Nightwish anymore. Tarja's operatic soprano was unique; without her they just sound like a progmetal version of Evanescence.
No offense, but Amy Lee is a brilliant singer and blows Annette away. That said, have you checked out Operatika? There's a bit more Yngwie style in the music (which I could live without, and wasn't present on the debut EP), but the singer sounds a lot like Tarja.

http://www.myspace.com/operatika

Listen to "Dreamworld." Tell me you don't recognize that riff. Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 4:39 pm

Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Heart
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 4:41 pm

I love female vocalists in general. Sarah McLachlan, Tara Maclean, Emm Gryner, Charlotte Martin, and tons more. Add metal or rock music to the mix, and it gets even better. Check out these brilliant vocalists:

Magali Luyten:

Lisa Middelhauve:

Anneke van Giersbergen:

And finally, Floor Jansen, my favorite female metal vocalist:

Man, I want to hump her face.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 5:46 pm

My favorite female vocalist is Simone Simons of Epica.

Floor Jansen has a great voice but I don't like that band's music much. Same thing with Anneke.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Twisted Evil oh yeah...probably my favorite as well
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:42 pm

sam wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

She doesn't do much for me. She's a great singer, no doubt, but there's something missing, in my opinion. Personality, maybe.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:
sam wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

She doesn't do much for me. She's a great singer, no doubt, but there's something missing, in my opinion. Personality, maybe.

I just want to hump her face! lol!

seriously. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I used to love female fronted metal bands but now I'm more picky. I need the vocalist to have something unique about her voice. Which is one of the main reasons I don't like Nightwish anymore. Tarja's operatic soprano was unique; without her they just sound like a progmetal version of Evanescence.
No offense, but Amy Lee is a brilliant singer and blows Annette away. That said, have you checked out Operatika? There's a bit more Yngwie style in the music (which I could live without, and wasn't present on the debut EP), but the singer sounds a lot like Tarja.

http://www.myspace.com/operatika

Listen to "Dreamworld." Tell me you don't recognize that riff. Haha.

Eyesore, horrible name for a band. Operatika? OK, whatever. And the vocals were awful for my taste.

I'm not a fan of female vocalists myself, but I do like Heather Findlay from Mostly Autumn.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 6:19 pm

detuned wrote:

Great band, great singer, but not metal.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 8:56 pm

I love female vocalists expecially ones with a bit of an edge to their voice (i.e. Doro) but usually only in metal and rock. I can't stand the usual music women sing for (modern pop, R&B, and country). Male or female, if I like their voice I could care less. I hope the woman I end up with has a beautiful singing voice.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:19 pm

[quote="thrasher73"]
detuned wrote:
Anyone remember a band called Detente?

Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Detente1986recognizenoa7ki

🤘

Hah!...you beat me to it guys.

Love Detente and Dawn Crosby! Some other ones I can think of are Nina Llopis when The Lead did thrash on "Burn this record", also of course Wendy O. Williams and Eva O. from Christian Death and Eva O. Not really into the whole sympho/female metal thing though.

Some of my other non metal favs are...

Emmylou Harris
Laurie Anderson
Debbie Gibson
Judy Mowatt
Lisa Wheeler

Last edited by Stender on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Schbopo wrote:
detuned wrote:

Great band, great singer, but not metal.

All the bands we call "metal" on this board (Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC)...Barracuda is every bit as heavy as that, so they qualify.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:32 pm

i have a Creem magazine from the early 70's that claims Heart is one of the "New Faces of Heavy Metal".

when i think of female fronted metal though, i'll always think of Doro.

go ahead & call her ugly now Eyesore. you know you were waiting for it.

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:58 pm

mc666 wrote:
I've already done that once here.

And she's not ugly now. She's just looking a bit rundown.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 am

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
I've already done that once here.

And she's not ugly now. She's just looking a bit rundown.

She looks a bit like a German drag-queen nowadays.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:41 am

I like female fronted metal bands. Some of my favorites are:

Skew Siskin, Doro/Warlock, Girlschool, Arch Enemy, Lita Ford, Benedictum
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 7:56 am

Two words......

Lita Ford
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:19 am

Addy wrote:
Two words......

Lita Ford

Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 N1073853143_30120545_8813

The man speaks truth!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:51 pm

I like some female fronted bands. But not all. The ones I do like are:

Holy Moses
Warlock
Mythic
Thorr's Hammer
Estuary
Exhortation
Benedictum
Crisis
Blackthorn
Girlschool
Meanstreak
Phantom Blue
Meldrum

and there's more.

To me it's how good they all are overall!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Female fronted metal bands   Female fronted metal bands - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Female fronted metal bands
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next