Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sepultura - A-LEX

Go down 
+9
nevermore
Required Fields
Gilbert
Troublezone
arttieTHE1manparty
MetalGuy71
zombiewalkin
mc666
Fat Freddy
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:43 am

I actually loved Roots, I know it was a different direction for them but it was cool stuff. I saw them on that tour and those tunes were awesome.

Chaos A.D. is probably my second favorite album (after Beneath The Remains), although the second half of that album isn't all that cohesive.

Anyway, I used to own all of their albums from Morbid Visions through Against. I lost interest once Max left, he took the heart and soul from that band...the remaining band has sounded confused and lost ever since.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:33 am

Can't be any worse that that turd "Roots". That was the worst Sepultura record. Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 352445
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:34 am

To me, Sepultura died the day Max left... Sad
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:47 am

This band has really gone down the tubes.

Hardly anyone cares about them anymore. The only way they'll really be viewed as a big name band in metal anymore is if Max rejoins.

Which reminds me, for the last 12 years, how come they only seem to play material from Chaos A.D. onwards? They'll play Troops of Doom, and a medley consisting of half a song from Beneath the Remains, and half a song from Arise, and that's it.

I remember ThrashWillNeverDie said in a joke Metallica thread on another board that "the newest material is the best for the majority of bands who've been around 25+ years" (obvious sarcasm on his part). Apparently, Sepultura must really believe that, as if you look at the setlists for their tours from the last 12 years, hardly anything off of Arise and Beneath the Remains gets played in its entirety anymore, and they never play songs off of Schizophrenia.

Someone needs to let the band members know that there are more fans of Beneath the Remains, Schizophrenia, and Arise than of the last few albums. For some reason, I think that in their own world, the band believes their last few albums are generally hailed as their masterpieces and albums like Arise are viewed as irrelevant to their fans and Beneath the Remains is viewed as Sepultura's St. Anger.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:55 am

They're Myspace even has Derrick doing live versions of the Max songs instead of just playing the originals. They obviously want to distance themselves from Max and the material he played on. They probably also do it to make Derrick feel better about his contributions to the band (which isn't much).

http://www.myspace.com/sepultura
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:20 am

Why should the band play old stuff? Why do bands bother carrying on recording new music? It's their art, who are we to deem what they're doing now as being any less relevant than their other work? We, the fans, don't enter into the equation. Artists produce work for themselves (most do, anyway). They owe nothing to the fan. If a fan chooses to purchase their work, then that's on the fan, not the band. We can't demand they do this or that. Wish it, sure, but if your wish doesn't come true it's not because of some fault with the band. Sepultura should play their newer material live.

Arise came out 17 years ago. Derrick has been in the band now for a decade, for nearly as long as Max was in the band. When do fans get off their silly soapbox and wake up? If you don't like the new Sepultura stuff, move on, it's been long enough, hasn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:27 am

Also, what's with the criticism of Derrick's vocals? He shouts? Max did nothing but shout, too.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 5:44 am

Eyesore wrote:
Why should the band play old stuff? Why do bands bother carrying on recording new music? It's their art, who are we to deem what they're doing now as being any less relevant than their other work? We, the fans, don't enter into the equation. Artists produce work for themselves (most do, anyway). They owe nothing to the fan. If a fan chooses to purchase their work, then that's on the fan, not the band. We can't demand they do this or that. Wish it, sure, but if your wish doesn't come true it's not because of some fault with the band. Sepultura should play their newer material live.

Arise came out 17 years ago. Derrick has been in the band now for a decade, for nearly as long as Max was in the band. When do fans get off their silly soapbox and wake up? If you don't like the new Sepultura stuff, move on, it's been long enough, hasn't it?

Why would they not play some of the older hits? They are obviously trying to run from their past because of the bad blood between them and Max. The fans are what keep them going, without the fan support they have no audience or record sales. So the "fans" do have a say. They don't have to dwell on the past as a nolstalgic act but at the same time most or at least half the fans began listening to them when they had Max and the songs they created with him.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 5:51 am

Eyesore wrote:
Also, what's with the criticism of Derrick's vocals? He shouts? Max did nothing but shout, too.

I guess some people prefer Max's voice. Derrick's seems strained and forced in comparison.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:50 am

I don't mind Derrick's voice (in fact, when I first heard AGAINST I was actually kinda pleased that his voice was somewhat similar to Max's), however, I don't think the majority of material I've heard with Derrick on vox has been up to snuff. AGAINST was a decent enough hardcore/punk record, but pretty one dimensional in the long run. I never heard NATION, and what little I heard of DANTE XXI (or whatever it was called) sounded OK but nothing that made me run out and buy the record.

For the record, I didn't care for the ROOTS album at all. I love BENEATH, ARISE, and CHAOS A.D. to this day though. I saw the band live a couple of times during that period and they were soooo damn good... they were a MACHINE back then!! Just awesome.

Anyway, ever since Max left the band, Andreas Kisser became the the Steve Harris of Sepultura, i.e. the decision maker, the main songwriter, driver of the ship, etc. I give him props for keeping it going all these years but especially after hearing this new album I wonder if maybe he should just change the name of the band.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:53 am

Quote :
I wonder if maybe he should just change the name of the band

I like all Sepultura except Morbid Visions-too primitive for me. But I agree with this statement. Especially since there isn't a Cavalera in sight any longer and the only O.G. member is Paulo, Jr., maybe the next album they should change their name to Chaos A.D. or something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:58 am

Quote :
Arise came out 17 years ago. Derrick has been in
the band now for a decade, for nearly as long as Max was in the band.
When do fans get off their silly soapbox and wake up? If you don't like
the new Sepultura stuff, move on, it's been long enough, hasn't it?

+1 (whatever that means. I saw a cool kid doing it.)
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:12 am

I always seem to follow the vocalist. I became familiar with nailbomb, soulfly, and now cavalera conspiracy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:47 pm

troublezone wrote:
Why would they not play some of the older hits? They are obviously trying to run from their past because of the bad blood between them and Max. The fans are what keep them going, without the fan support they have no audience or record sales. So the "fans" do have a say. They don't have to dwell on the past as a nolstalgic act but at the same time most or at least half the fans began listening to them when they had Max and the songs they created with him.
Fans have no say whatsoever. Arrogant fans think so. When a band has been around this long, why can't they play their newer material? They're not a death-thrash band anymore. And at this point, if there are still whiny, stuck-in-the-past fans in the audience at their shows--well, that's the fans fault. This band shifted style in 1993, with Max in the band. They changed a lot since then. Fans should expect a band to play their current stuff, which is generally what most artists feel most confident about.

If you go to a show, you're not there to see a band play certain songs. That's a huge misconception among music fans. You pay to see the band PLAY. Simple as that. What they play is up to them.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:28 pm

I heard a new track on satellite radio yesterday. I wasn't impressed with it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:29 pm

nevermore wrote:
I heard a new track on satellite radio yesterday. I wasn't impressed with it.

I listened to the whole album again today. I still wasn't impressed with it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I suppose it takes all kinds... Smile

http://www.nocturnalhall.de/reviews/S/sepultura_alex_e.htm
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:44 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I suppose it takes all kinds... Smile

http://www.nocturnalhall.de/reviews/S/sepultura_alex_e.htm

Laughing very hard If you can't trust a reviewer who calls himself "the wangacopta," who can you trust?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Quote :
"the wangacopta,"

lol!

I guarantee this last paragraph isn't the case with this album:

Quote :
A-Lex is an impressive performance that points its
demand out and makes same to listeners at the same time. The profoundness,
the atmosphere lust for attention and are crying in that way you
have to deal with this opus. Those who spot just the music could
suffer a snub; those who manage to conciliate the story with the
music will be fascinated. I am.

Now that's some English!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Haha. The Wangacopta. That's what I'm calling my penis from now on.

"Get to the wangacoptaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

I listened to the tracks on MySpace and didn't think they were bad at all.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 6:06 pm

I haven't cared for anything the band has done since Chaos A.D. This album will be no different. I'm not gonna pine for a resolution between Andreas, Max, and Igor. It is what it is and the Sepultura I enjoyed is dead and gone.

If Andreas and Co. are happy with the albums they've been putting out, good for 'em. I'm not gonna waste my time on them, but that's my own thing. I am no longer a fan, so I'm not gonna rag on the band for what they've been doing.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Glaringly obvious Iggor is gone.

Kinda boring, which is disappointing, I'm a big fan of the last album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:58 pm

Quote :
Fans have no say whatsoever

Sure they do, they can stop going to their shows or buying their records.

Quote :
They're not a death-thrash band anymore

Then maybe it's time for Derrick to start crooning or rap. He like to use the bark or growl or whatever so if they are so far removed from their past let them really remove themselves. If they have that attitude like you do about not caring about the fans that made them what they are then they can do a nice press release telling the fans off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 12:01 am

It's the same thing about Metallica fans. So there are droves of old fans who hate the new stuff. Big deal. There are droves that love the new stuff. Then there are the fans that love it all. Pick your side and shut up.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 12:03 am

Quote :
If you go to a show, you're not there to see a band play certain songs. That's a huge misconception among music fans. You pay to see the band PLAY. Simple as that. What they play is up to them.

That's a lie. Go to a Maiden show or a Priest or Sabbath show and see how many new songs the bands will play. They know a big reason that fans pay to see them is to hear some of the hits or their favorite songs. At most they will mix a few new songs in the set to introduce them to the audience and get a reation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sepultura - A-LEX   Sepultura - A-LEX - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sepultura - A-LEX
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next