Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

THE SELL OUT THREAD!

Go down 
+25
arttieTHE1manparty
the sentinel
journeyman
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
TheGooch
tohostudios
manny
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
sam
Selvmord
Stender
scottmitchell74
DeathCult
7thSecond
Olafsto
XYZ
SAHB Healer
Required Fields
mc666
rattpoison
Schbopo
Troublezone
MetalRob331
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:11 am

The local Clear Channel Rock station ran a contest for the biggest sellout song song in rock. The contest was between three songs:

Queen - Another one Bites the Dust
Aerosmith - Walk this Way (Rap version with Run DMC)
Kiss - I Was Made for Loving You.

I didn't take part in the contest, because frankly I find it stupid, but I thought it interesting since we had been talking about "selling out" here.

If I am not mistaken, Kiss won, or lost depending on how you look at it.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:37 am

ultmetal wrote:
The local Clear Channel Rock station ran a contest for the biggest sellout song song in rock. The contest was between three songs:

Queen - Another one Bites the Dust
Aerosmith - Walk this Way (Rap version with Run DMC)
Kiss - I Was Made for Loving You.

I didn't take part in the contest, because frankly I find it stupid, but I thought it interesting since we had been talking about "selling out" here.

If I am not mistaken, Kiss won, or lost depending on how you look at it.

i would pick that too out of those choices.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:39 am

I would not consider anything KISS does musicially as a sell out since KISS have never claimed to be purist.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:41 am

Well, Id go with Kiss too as it was the clear sell out of the bunch, everyone knows it was for money. "Walk This Way" was more for Run D.M.C. than Aerosmith. I dont know much about Queen, but I dont get how thats one of the choices, if anyone would mind shedding some light on that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:43 am

"Beth" and "Hard Luck Woman" were much worse sellouts than "I Was Made..." IMO. Two more reasons Peter Criss was terrible.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:49 am

spectrefate wrote:
"Beth" and "Hard Luck Woman" were much worse sellouts than "I Was Made..." IMO. Two more reasons Peter Criss was terrible.

Id say its the better song. But I couldnt call "Beth" and "Hard Luck Woman" sellouts in good conscience. Because, even though they're not what you expect from Kiss regularly, thats more Peter's type of song as opossed to something ripped out to match a passing trend.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:54 am

Prior to " Another one Bites the Dust" all Queen albums came with " No Synsthisers" printed on all of their albums, where " The Game" was the first album that Queen used them on certain tracks.

The sell out idea maybe due to disco/dance bassline and beat that drives that song, it was written by John Deacon, when this song became a hit in the States alot of Queen's hard rock fans started abandoning them.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 am

manny wrote:
Prior to " Another one Bites the Dust" all Queen albums came with " No Synsthisers" printed on all of their albums, where " The Game" was the first album that Queen used them on certain tracks.

The sell out idea maybe due to disco/dance bassline and beat that drives that song, it was written by John Deacon, when this song became a hit in the States alot of Queen's hard rock fans started abandoning them.

Ah ok, interesting. Thanks manny.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:12 am

manny wrote:

Indeed.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 1:13 pm

manny wrote:

thanks for the info, I always thought it was just a funky song lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 3:57 pm

Personally this is the song that I think made hard rock/metal fans abandon the Queen boys in the early 80's, thankfully they returned to their hard rocking roots shortly after releasing this single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqLyjg-klhE
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 5:20 pm

Such a bad song, i like Queen a lot but thats just wrong..
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 6:18 pm

Fascinating discussion...

I've read through all of the posts, and there are many well articulated thoughts and responses in what can only be considered a very gray area based on the interpretation of what determines a sell out. I can state this, my interpretation has changed ten fold over the years. I'm sure as a teenager and a young adult I was more than happy to apply that tag to a handful of bands. As I've gotten a little older, I've tried to look at the situation from both perspectives (the fan and the bands). I believe the ONE constant (that ULT touched on regarding a former Heavy Metal bassist) is when those in a certain genre go out of their way to distance themselves from that form of music that they were only so happy to embrace at one time (whatever the circumstances might have been).

I think when musicians/bands do this, they have lost TOTAL credibility. I was one who used to bemoan the fact that bands changed their sound, but over the years it's become such common practice that I just role with it. It doesn't mean that I will still buy that album, or not voice my discontent over the album. I guess I hope that whatever negative message (in regards to exploring these other outlets) is being sent to the band, that somehow those thoughts will resonate with the musician/band when they enter the studio again. Musicians/bands certainly don't like to admit it when negative responses aimed at their previous effort dictate what happens on the follow up album. It's the musicians/bands with financial security who tend to ride that musical exploration wave out the longest. Sometimes they revisit their roots (much to the delight of their fanbase), and in some instances they don't (to the utter disappointment of many).
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 6:30 pm

To see Aerosmith's collaboration with Run-D.M.C. in the top 3 sell out's is crazy.

It was damn near commercial suicide to have the idea of getting an ageing 70's rock band seen as past it to collaborate with a rap group who hadn't even charted a single to that point. It was uncharted territory.

But it worked, broke Hip-Hop in the mainstream, resurrected Aerosmith's career etc. But it could easily have been a huge failed experiment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 6:36 pm

rattpoison wrote:
To see Aerosmith's collaboration with Run-D.M.C. in the top 3 sell out's is crazy.

It was damn near commercial suicide to have the idea of getting an ageing 70's rock band seen as past it to collaborate with a rap group who hadn't even charted a single to that point. It was uncharted territory.

But it worked, broke Hip-Hop in the mainstream, resurrected Aerosmith's career etc. But it could easily have been a huge failed experiment.

Agreed.

Aerosmith wouldn't be around today without this collaboration. In 1986, the band's families and ult were the only people still listening to Aerosmith. Then the collaboration, a decent deal with Geffen and voila! Aerosmith are major players in the game again.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 6:52 pm

spectrefate wrote:
rattpoison wrote:

Agreed.

Aerosmith wouldn't be around today without this collaboration. In 1986, the band's families and ult were the only people still listening to Aerosmith.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 6:53 pm

I think as bands get older and have been around for a long time they can do as they please. What more can we ask for from bands who have been putting quality music out for 10 or more years. These same bands have all the right to experiment a little.

Saying that I think if you go from Slayer to Sum 41 thats not going to be taken well by your fan base and will probably be labeled sell outs. I also came to the conclusion that some bands and artists get desperate and have to choose between what will make there lives more comfortable.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 8:31 pm

I think some bands it would be commerical suicide to change their sound one iota. Slayer for example, out of the big four, it is always said that Slayer has been the only one that has never sold out. But unlike say Metallica, Megadeth or Anthrax, they could try ballads, explore a more commerical direction or go back to their thrash roots, and for the most part their fan base will go along with it.

Where if Slayer had attempted any of this avenues not only would they lose their hard core fans, but they would not attract any of the more commerical fans due to their previous image, sometimes your own image can keep your band from branching out to other avenues, I am glad Slayer did not follow those avenues, but I don't think they would have been available to them anyway.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:32 pm

This thread brings to mind Spinal Tap's jazz fusion show.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 2:34 pm

spectrefate wrote:
In 1986, the band's families and ult were the only people still listening to Aerosmith.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Required Fields wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
In 1986, the band's families and ult were the only people still listening to Aerosmith.

lol!

Just about true though. I was a die-hard in '79 and the 80's when the band seemed to lose their fan base. I thought albums like Night in the Ruts and Rock in a Hard Place were fantastic! Still do! Saw the band on the RiaHP tour. Their albums weren't selling but they weren't exactly unpopular. They sold out the Spectrum in Philly on that tour. Saw them again a couple years later on the Back in the Saddle reunion tour, again at the Spectrum. They sold it out again. Really wish I would have caught the Joe Perry Project at one of their many club shows.

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 2:49 pm

I didn't mean that negatively, ult. I just know you were as die hard about them back then as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 3:00 pm

spectrefate wrote:

Count me in there with Ult and the band's families then... in 1986 I was listening to the then-current "comeback" album DONE WITH MIRRORS quite a bit...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 3:41 pm

Like ULT I was an Aerosmith fan back in 1982, and it was the first concert I ever saw. I never saw the Joe Perry Project live but I did get to Joe Perry when he first returned to Aerosmith m on their "Back in the Saddle" tour at Lakeland Civic Center with Black & Blue opening and it sold out ( it held about 2000) of course that is small potatoes compared to the 70's and their come back in 1987.
Back to top Go down
FATALITY
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 47

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 6:33 pm

is selling out not when a band goes against it's views from the start? like if a band said they want their face on everything and then release rooster rings with said face is fine as long as they never said they would never do it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THE SELL OUT THREAD!
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next