Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

THE SELL OUT THREAD!

Go down 
+25
arttieTHE1manparty
the sentinel
journeyman
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
TheGooch
tohostudios
manny
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
sam
Selvmord
Stender
scottmitchell74
DeathCult
7thSecond
Olafsto
XYZ
SAHB Healer
Required Fields
mc666
rattpoison
Schbopo
Troublezone
MetalRob331
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

THE SELL OUT THREAD! Empty
PostSubject: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:18 am

Well this seems to come up everywhere i go. Bands that "Sell Out". What makes a band sell out, is it because of commercial success? A change in style? I think of bands that sell out as bands that change to become more popluar or change to become more modern meaning changing to play what is popular at the time.

Name some bands that you think sold out at one point in there career, or a band that sold out but seemed to go back.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:35 am

Obviously Metallica.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:38 am

Def Leppard, Queen...
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:39 am

The Bangles
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:42 am

rattpoison wrote:
The Bangles

Why? How did they change?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:49 am

Anthrax, when they chose to dump Bush & hop on the "reunion" tour money train.

Twisted Sister for making a hokey christmas record, because it's a sure fire way to make an easy buck.

Manowar, for not playing metal anymore after years of claiming to be more metal than everyone else.

Ozzy for letting his wife sell him off to the highest bidder.

rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:50 am

troublezone wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
The Bangles

Why? How did they change?

That first record and EP was great 60's psychedelic pop punk garage rock n' roll .....but then after that the sniffed success and in came the outside writers, polish, synths and general dumbing down of the whole uniqueness of the band. They kinda got an MTV makeover.

The record i'm talking about that started the rot is 86's Different Light.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 1:42 am

Theres a few bands that come to mind that have seemed to play what style seems to be in.

Machine Head - These guys changed there sound it seemed every cd. Awesome band i must say.

REO Speedwagon - Went from a hard rock band to chick rock.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 2:06 am

mc666 wrote:
Ozzy for letting his wife sell him off to the highest bidder.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 2:14 am

It seemed like everybody added keyboards in the 80's, and then made a grunge flavored record in the 90's. But it is a business, so I can't blame them.
I do have a theory though, but I can't prove it. I think that many bands are more willing to stay with their traditional or individual approach these days, just because most styles of music have shown staying power over the years. I think bands have more confidence in their loyal fans and are less willing to risk their fan base in search of new trendy fans than they used to be. That's just a gut feeling, I may be wrong. Is "back-to-basics" just another trend, or is it an anti-trend?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 2:38 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
It seemed like everybody added keyboards in the 80's, and then made a grunge flavored record in the 90's. But it is a business, so I can't blame them.
I do have a theory though, but I can't prove it. I think that many bands are more willing to stay with their traditional or individual approach these days, just because most styles of music have shown staying power over the years. I think bands have more confidence in their loyal fans and are less willing to risk their fan base in search of new trendy fans than they used to be. That's just a gut feeling, I may be wrong. Is "back-to-basics" just another trend, or is it an anti-trend?

i was in a band for a long time and when you play music you play music that you love to play. I never once thought man lets just make music to get rich. Its all about the music and expressing what you think through the guitar and your instruments. At least thats the way i look at it.

My band played metal and funny thing is I loved to play other types of style like smooth jazz and acoustic stuff with classical pieces. My friends used to say what are you doing and what is that you're playing? I told them there is other types of music i like other then metal and i really couldnt express a different side of me in metal. I have a lot of songs recorded of my classical jazz type playing.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 8:37 am

Megadeth
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 11:02 am

Most bands that people say have sold out never did any such thing. You want true sell outs?

Then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Duyx-2Gjqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkE1ZmvjP_E

A few years later:

That's selling out. Their debut was awesome.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 11:14 am

i agree there debut was awesome. They did continue to put out some pretty hard stuff but never released them as singles.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 11:35 am

TNT sold out (or tried to sell out) with a few horrible albums in the 90`s.
Came back with a bang (My Religion), but they seems to have lost track again now Sad .
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 11:52 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
i agree there debut was awesome. They did continue to put out some pretty hard stuff but never released them as singles.
Only the follow-up album, which had the mega-hit "Fly" on it. After that nearly everything was acoustic pop shite.

The thing about "selling out" is that most people never acknowledge the simple human neccessity to change. All these people whining about Metallica selling out are not the same person they were in the 80s, so why demand the guys in Metallica (or any other band) to always stay the same? People change, and when the person in question is an artist their art is going to reflect that.

How many of us grew up listening to thrash and brutal death metal, but now--pushing 40 or beyond--listen to mellow stuff like Sarah McLachlan or Lisa Gerrard? It's human nature. There are some hold-outs, of course, and those people tend to be bitter a-holes.

But a band like Sugar Ray--a band that was heavy, punky, and just really damn good--who does a 180º spin into an acoustic pop band after they got a hit song in that style is a clear-cut, no-doubt-about-it sell out.

Metallica is not. Megadeth is not. Anthrax is not. And so on...
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:09 pm

7 Seconds. They put out a couple of U2ish sounding albums in the late 80's that were a far cry from the oldschool hardcore I knew them for. Thank God they've regained their form.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:19 pm

Celtic Frost
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Eyesore wrote:
How many of us grew up listening to thrash and brutal death metal, but now--pushing 40 or beyond--listen to mellow stuff like Sarah McLachlan or Lisa Gerrard? It's human nature. There are some hold-outs, of course, and those people tend to be bitter a-holes.
Rolling Eyes I'm one of those bitter a-holes so I'll just refrain from commenting.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:29 pm

7thSecond wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Rolling Eyes I'm one of those bitter a-holes so I'll just refrain from commenting.

I dont consider myself a bitter sfincter, I just dont think age dictates not listening to certain types of music anymore. Ill listen to metal til I die.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Id also say Fastway with On Target, but I dont really count it as the bands decision because enigma told them if they didnt glam it up the album wouldnt be released.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 12:58 pm

i still contend that Anthrax did indeed sell out. they forced out their singer, with whom they put out four solid yet hardly commercially successful albums to hop on the reunion tour bandwagon with the former singer. a singer who they had a shaky relationship with at best. "for the fans" my ass. it was a cash grab. the nostalgia ticket is a guaranteed money maker. if no one else in the world shares that opinion, that changes nothing for me.

if not liking Sugar Ray & Sarah McLachlan makes me a bitter a-hole, i'm ok with that. seems like a fair trade off.

DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 1:03 pm

mc666 wrote:
i still contend that Anthrax did indeed sell out. they forced out their singer, with whom they put out four solid yet hardly commercially successful albums to hop on the reunion tour bandwagon with the former singer. a singer who they had a shaky relationship with at best. "for the fans" my ass. it was a cash grab. the nostalgia ticket is a guaranteed money maker. if no one else in the world shares that opinion, that changes nothing for me.

if not liking Sugar Ray & Sarah McLachlan makes me a bitter a-hole, i'm ok with that. seems like a fair trade off.

I agree with MC here, on both fronts Laughing . But, the Belladonna reunion was an obvious cash grab, it couldnt of been more obvious, hell the whole thing was a retro type Among The Living tour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 1:07 pm

The Belladonna thing was a cash thing. Big deal. For the first time since '92, Anthrax fans got something decent for their money. Those Bush albums are very poor and I for one am glad he is gone.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 1:10 pm

spectrefate wrote:
The Belladonna thing was a cash thing. Big deal. For the first time since '92, Anthrax fans got something decent for their money. Those Bush albums are very poor and I for one am glad he is gone.

Im not saying I thought it was a BAD idea, I dont much care for the Bush albums either, just that it was an obivous cash grab. Idve preferred to have seen a new album come out of it though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE SELL OUT THREAD!   THE SELL OUT THREAD! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THE SELL OUT THREAD!
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next