Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?

Go down 
+22
metalinmyveins
7thSecond
FATALITY
Thrasher73
steel warrior
Troublezone
XYZ
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
Schbopo
thejokeriv
sam
A Handful of Wayne
Chairman_Smith
manny
mc666
Temple of Blood
ghost
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 10:14 am

I don't care if they are doctored in the studio or not. Actually, I prefer it that way. If they can capture that raw, live energy and then do some re-recording to remove the mistakes and whatnot, that's great. I wish Recon could have done that with their live album. I would have liked it a whole lot better.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 10:22 am

It depends sometimes, Aerosmith "Live Bootleg" and AC/DC's 'If You Want Blood" weren't doctored and I think they are great. I guess it depends on the band, I have various Jimi Hendrix and The Doors live albums which weren't doctored simply because the key players are no longer with us, and I think they sound organic. Either way I guess it depends on how strong the songs and the performers involved are, all these bands mentioned are all strong live performers evidence by bootlleg recordings available.
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 10:53 am

Studio versions for me. I do find live albums quite enjoyable when used as a background while I am playing pool, or having some drinks, or at a party or picnic.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 11:01 am

I'll take studio versions 99% of the time over live versions.
Back to top Go down
FATALITY
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 47

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm

i love live dvds but i wouldn't tend to listen to live cds apart from blind guardian
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 6:05 pm

Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Iron-Maiden-Maiden-Japan-40813

I should have remembered this one earlier. Every song on this EP absolutely SMOKES the studio versions, blows them clear away.

I re-burned this one from LP and added the live version of Phantom Of The Opera from the Women In Uniform single (which is also a far superior version to the studio).

One more Maiden one...the version of Sanctuary from the Live After Death film KILLS.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 7:48 pm

Maiden and Anti-Heros are the only two metal/punk bands I think probably sound as good or even better on their live albums. In fact they're the only two bands I have a live song by on my MP3 player. Many softer artist sound as good or better live though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 11:24 pm

Another funny "live" story. Remember this video?

Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Queensryche%20Small

I knew the recording engineer who produced this, the Japanese sound crew did such a bad job on the recording that almost none of the original live sound was salvageable (except for the drums). So the band went into Abbey Road Studios in London and re-recorded everything while watching the video in monitors (so their parts would match the film). However, they didn't have enough space in the studio for the drum set...but they NEEDED a snare drum sound to replace the one from the Japanese recording....

So they went into the tape library and pulled out the session reels from Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind. They grabbed a single snare drum hit from The Trooper...then spliced it into the film soundtrack to replace every snare drum hit! So it's Queensryche but with Nicko McBrain playing "snare"...listen close and you'll notice that every single snare hit is exactly the same.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 11:59 pm

Two songs that immediately come to mind is "Coast To Coast" by the Scorpions off of "World Wide Live", and "Out In The Cold" by Judas Priest off their "Live" album. I think they're definitely two songs that benefit from a live sound. I don't think their studio sound does either one any justice.

Both of these tunes are borderline soothing songs. I enjoy listening to both of these songs while driving the open road late at night....seems to add to the whole experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 12:01 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Two songs that immediately come to mind is "Coast To Coast" by the Scorpions off of "World Wide Live", and "Out In The Cold" by Judas Priest off their "Live" album. I think they're definitely two songs that benefit from a live sound. I don't think their studio sound does either one any justice.

Both of these tunes are borderline soothing songs. I enjoy listening to both of these songs while driving the open road late at night....seems to add to the whole experience.

Good choices! Also, the live version of "The Zoo" from World Wide Live is MUCH better than the studio version.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 12:05 am

detuned wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

Good choices! Also, the live version of "The Zoo" from World Wide Live is MUCH better than the studio version.

I think the whole "Wide World Live" album is pretty good,...I agree with "The Zoo". I think you could definitely throw "Holiday" into that mix of great live tunes. I actually can visualize the lighters being waved in the crowd, as Klaus sings, and the crowd serenades back. Great moment!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 2:00 am

detuned wrote:

I knew the recording engineer who produced this, the Japanese sound crew did such a bad job on the recording that almost none of the original live sound was salvageable (except for the drums). So the band went into Abbey Road Studios in London and re-recorded everything while watching the video in monitors (so their parts would match the film). However, they didn't have enough space in the studio for the drum set...but they NEEDED a snare drum sound to replace the one from the Japanese recording....

So they went into the tape library and pulled out the session reels from Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind. They grabbed a single snare drum hit from The Trooper...then spliced it into the film soundtrack to replace every snare drum hit! So it's Queensryche but with Nicko McBrain playing "snare"...listen close and you'll notice that every single snare hit is exactly the same.

Haha! I'm listening to it from the Queensryche EP and i can hear it.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 2:18 am

For metal bands I tend to prefer studio I guess. But for hard rock, glam, & power pop etc. the live effect adds power and energy which I tend to prefer. The best stuff from Slade for example was the live stuff (On Stage etc.).
One thing though, I hate compilations that mix live and studio tracks together willy nilly. It's a pet peeeve, I find them unlistenable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:50 am

detuned wrote:

I have this "unofficially" on DVD. I love the show, but it's obviously not what was recorded that night. That's a funny story. Smile

I think they just pulled this audio from the video and made the bonus live tracks on the reissued EP. I may be wrong on that.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 1:59 pm

i listen to the studio versions much more than i listen to live albums, if i am honest. with live albums i find them too long so i feel bad if i dont listen to the whole concert
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 6:58 pm

spectrefate wrote:
detuned wrote:

I have this "unofficially" on DVD. I love the show, but it's obviously not what was recorded that night. That's a funny story. Smile

I think they just pulled this audio from the video and made the bonus live tracks on the reissued EP. I may be wrong on that.

That is correct...
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:06 pm

detuned wrote:
Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Iron-Maiden-Maiden-Japan-40813

I should have remembered this one earlier. Every song on this EP absolutely SMOKES the studio versions, blows them clear away.

I re-burned this one from LP and added the live version of Phantom Of The Opera from the Women In Uniform single (which is also a far superior version to the studio).

One more Maiden one...the version of Sanctuary from the Live After Death film KILLS.

Ever heard the full Maiden Japan show?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:10 pm

I haven't heard the full Maiden Japan show but I do remember that their was a live album with Paul D'ianno titled " Live + 1" I never bought it and was wondering is the same show as " Maiden Japan" ? I have not seen this album in several years and does not appear to be an official release.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 7:30 pm

DeathCult wrote:

Nope...didn't know it existed.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:12 pm

I prefer studio over live, especially with bands like Motley Crue, Vince only sings half of the lyrics live. But if I'm at a concert I almost always like the live versions better.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:15 pm

detuned wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Nope...didn't know it existed.

It was a fan club only release, they did it in 99, Ive sent one to Sax, the whole show RULES, great sound, the bands so tight, its just amazing.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:17 pm

manny wrote:
I haven't heard the full Maiden Japan show but I do remember that their was a live album with Paul D'ianno titled " Live + 1" I never bought it and was wondering is the same show as " Maiden Japan" ? I have not seen this album in several years and does not appear to be an official release.

No, different show completely. Theres two versions, one Japenese with 4 songs, and the Greek with the whole show. It was offical but has never been re-released.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:33 pm

Do you have a CD issue of The Soundhouse Tapes, DC?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:38 pm

No, I had to make a boot of it, I was so utterly Pissed off I missed that mail in offer.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:08 am

Subdivisions by Rush, on the 90s/00s live albums it sounds so much cooler.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?   Live versions of songs vs. studio versions? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Live versions of songs vs. studio versions?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2