Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage

Go down 
+12
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
Troublezone
Olafsto
metalheaded
Gilbert
manny
ultmetal
kmorg
GrandNational
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Empty
PostSubject: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Ever seen a band cover or perform a tune live in concert or heard it on a live album and wonder what album it's from, only to find out it doesn't exist? Maybe it's a song the band demoed live but never got around to recording a proper "studio" version. Or they just choose a particular cover tune that the band likes to kick around while on stage, but could never get the rights to put it on an album.

What are some of your favorite songs by bands that only exist as live versions?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:29 pm

King's X did "I'm Your Captain" by Grand Funk Railroad live back on the Ear Candy tour but have never recorded it...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Mortification had a song called "Dead Man Walking" on a live album that didn't get a proper studio recording until maybe 7 years later.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Ultimatum had a song called "Chalk Line" tha appears on a bootleg live recording I own. They've never recorded it in the studio....... yet? Laughing

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Did Thin Lizzy ever record a studio version of the song 'Are You Ready?'. I was listening to Live and Dangerous and that's what got me thinking of the topic. Good tune, but I don't think I've ever heard a studio version, other than the Rollins band cover of it.

Back in the day, when the real Guns n' Roses existed, Slash used to play a mean version of 'Speak Softly Love" aka The Godfather theme. I have it on a bootleg.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:57 pm

kmorg wrote:
Ultimatum had a song called "Chalk Line" tha appears on a bootleg live recording I own. They've never recorded it in the studio....... yet? Laughing

And never will. Tom Michaels took part of the riff and used it in a SeventhSign song. It's too "funky" for Ultimatum anyhow.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Guns n Roses used to do lots of covers on stage, Alice Cooper-Only Women Bleed and the Rolling Stones-Wild Horses to name two, KISS used to encore with The Who-Won't Get Fooled Again.

Thin Lizzy did do a studio version of 'Are You Ready' I think it is on the 'Fighting' but I am not sure.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Quote :
Guns n Roses used to do lots of covers on stage, Alice Cooper-Only Women Bleed and the Rolling Stones-Wild Horses to name two

I have those on the same bootleg with the Godfather theme. I don't think they're entire songs though. Mostly instrumental with Axl chiming in with just a chorus or 2. It's called Covering 'Em and has all live cover tunes and a coupla demos at the end.

Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Guns_N%C3%82%C2%B4_Roses_-_Covering_%C3%82%C2%B4Em_-_Front

Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage GunsNRosesCoveringEmBootlegback

Some of these songs ended up on The Spaghetti Incident.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 9:50 am

Quote :
Thin Lizzy did do a studio version of 'Are You Ready' I think it is on the 'Fighting' but I am not sure.

Nope, not on Fighting. I checked out the Lizzy discography and can't find the song 'Are You Ready' on any studio album. Unless it was released as an obscure b-side or something. Looks like it wa only played live. Can someone prove otherwise?

Speaking of Thin Lizzy and live songs, I remembered the last time I saw Motorhead on the Motorizer tour, Lemmy & co played the song 'Rosealie' which Lemmy dedicated to Phil. That's the only time I've ever heard Motorhead play that tune.

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 9:58 am

I've never heard a "Are You Ready" studio version. But its on every live product they've released. Olaf and ult are the Lizzy fanatics, they'll know for sure.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 11:23 am

SpectreFate wrote:
I've never heard a "Are You Ready" studio version. But its on every live product they've released. Olaf and ult are the Lizzy fanatics, they'll know for sure.

I really like this song
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 11:34 am

I guess MG you are right, I consulted ULT's No Life til Metal, and did not see a studio version of 'Are You Ready?' listed. I thought I had heard a studio version, maybe I heard it on the BBC sessions album or something like that.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Did Dokken ever record a studio version of Paris Is Burning, or was it studio with crowd sounds added into it?

Slayer never did record a studio version of Ice Titans, did they?

Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 3:00 pm

The Bid "D" hasn't recorded Raining Blood in the studio...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 3:05 pm

W.A.S.P. "The Manimal" and "Harder, Faster" (2 of their better songs) were never recorded in the studio.

Let me rephrase that. Those 2 songs were never recorded in a studio without crowd noise inserted.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Faith No More's "The Grade" is only on their LIve at Brixton album, but it never was recorded for a studio record.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Alice in Chains has a song, Queen of the Rodeo they've never done a studio version of.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Alice in Chains has a song, Queen of the Rodeo they've never done a studio version of.

Yep. It only was included on their Music Bank collection.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 5:13 pm

Blue Oyster Cult had Wings Of Mercury

Mother Love Bone did some really cool covers of Argent's "Hold Your Head Up" and Queen's "I'm In Love With My Car" that are only on bootlegs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 9:21 pm

metalheaded wrote:
Did Dokken ever record a studio version of Paris Is Burning, or was it studio with crowd sounds added into it?

Yeah, but it's only officially on the LP, Breakin' The Chains(notice the different spelling) on the Carrere Label, 1982.

Also,
"Live to Rock" is called "We're Illegal" and has completely different lyrics, but the same music.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Doesn't quite fit the whole criteria of this thread but here it is anyway. The extended version of Dream Theater-Take The Time. The studio version ends in the middle of a guitar solo but live the song went on longer. They had it on Once In A Livetime but it turned into the Freebird solo. The only existing version of the extended one (that I know of-DT has many out-of-print EPs and bootlegs) is on the video Live In Tokyo.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 12:39 pm

the only songs i can think of that ive heard that would fit in this category would be The New Song by Metallica. tbh it wasnt that great
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Holy crapamoley, GOOOOOOOOOCH IZ IN DA HOUUUUUUUUUUSE Y'ALL! Where the hell you been?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 12:50 pm

On topic, years ago when I saw Aerosmith on the PUMP tour, Joe Perry sang lead on a cover of "Red House" by Jimi Hendrix. Did the band (or Joe solo) ever lay that one down in the studio?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage   Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Songs That Only Exist Live On-Stage
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: