Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RUSH

Go down 
+18
manny
skullsmasher
the sentinel
mr.electric39
MetalH
candlemass
scottmitchell74
stepcousin
EvyMetal
Tall Tyrion
XYZ
SAHB Healer
Troublezone
Orion Crystal Ice
ThrashedOutCobra33
tohostudios
thejokeriv
Shiney
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 6:25 pm

The only Rush albums I "don't" like are Hold Your Fire (overproduced), Presto (has a few good moments but overall weak), Roll The Bones (again, a couple good moments but overall blah) and Test For Echo. I love EVERYTHING ELSE!

I really think they've had a resurgence in the past few years, they sound like they're having fun again. The horrid things that Peart has had to go through (losing his wife and daughter) has really taken his lyric writing to an entirely new level. Plus it's nice that they've trimmed back on the keyboards and returned to more of a true power trio sound.

Rush isn't for everybody, pretty much a love 'em or hate 'em type band...but there's nobody else on the planet that comes close to sounding like them.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Quote :
The horrid things that Peart has had to go through (losing his wife and daughter) has really taken his lyric writing to an entirely new level

I hadn't heard anything about this. Please explain.

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 7:50 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I hadn't heard anything about this. Please explain.

Soon after the culmination of Rush's Test For Echo Tour on July 4, 1997, Peart's daughter and only child, 19-year-old Selena Taylor, was killed in a single-car accident on Highway 401 near the town of Brighton, Ontario on August 10. His common-law wife of 22 years, Jacqueline Taylor, succumbed to cancer only 10 months later on June 20, 1998. Peart, however, maintains that her death was the result of a "broken heart" and called it "a slow suicide by apathy. She just didn't care."

In his book Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road, Peart writes of how he had told his bandmates at Selena's funeral, "consider me retired."[17] Peart took a hiatus to mourn and reflect, during which time he traveled extensively throughout North America on his BMW motorcycle, covering 88,000 km (55,000 miles). After his journey ended, Peart decided to return to the band. Peart wrote Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road as a chronicle of his geographical and emotional journey.

While Peart was visiting long-time Rush photographer Andrew MacNaughtan in Los Angeles, MacNaughtan introduced Peart to his future wife, photographer Carrie Nuttall. They married on September 9, 2000.

In early 2001, Peart announced to his bandmates that he was ready to return to recording and performing. The product of the band's return was the 2002 album Vapor Trails. At the start of the ensuing tour in support of the album, it was decided amongst the band members that Peart would not take part in the daily grind of press interviews and "Meet and Greet" sessions upon their arrival in a new city that typically monopolise a touring band's daily schedule. While Peart has always shied away from these types of in-person encounters, it was decided that having to needlessly expose him to an endless stream of questions about the tragic events of his life was quite unnecessary.

Since the release of Vapor Trails and reuniting with his fellow band mates, Peart has returned to work as a full-time musician. Rush has since released a cover EP, Feedback in June 2004 and their 18th studio album Snakes & Arrows in May 2007, which were supported by three additional tours in 2004, 2007, and 2008 respectively.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 7:58 pm

Wow. Shocked

I never knew. I can't even imagine.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 8:00 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Wow. Shocked

I never knew. I can't even imagine.

Me either. Thanks for the info. What a tough burden that had/has to be...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 4:23 pm

I've been known to spin a cd or two of theirs..... often and endlessly.... Peart's life disaster was truly tragic. Hense the lyric writing on Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows....

the catalog has been a soundtrack to my life....

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 8:29 pm

I have been updating my Rush collection w/ the Rush remasters over the past few months and have been on sort of a kick for them lately. They lost me for a while in the late eighties early nineties with some overproduced/synth-pop stuff. I don't hate those albums, but don't play them as much as the favorites. But, they found me again in the late nineties with Test for Echo. Truly talented and unique band that are an acquired taste to many. Peace.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 7:13 pm

I really think 'Counterparts' is there best 90's album. Heavy in Parts and progressive in parts.

Some brilliant melodies with 'Cold Fire' and 'Everyday Glory'.....

But I must also mention 'Virtuality' from 'Test for Echo'... one of the heaviest songs they've ever written (imo) and literally unknown..... sigh....

🤘
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 am

But no mention of Driven? You disappoint me, Mr Electric. No
Back to top Go down

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 1:31 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
I really think 'Counterparts' is there best 90's album. Heavy in Parts and progressive in parts.

Agreed, that's a great record. Favorite tracks are Cut To The Chase and Between Sun & Moon.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:49 am

I like this band well, I love everything up "Exit Stage Left", after that the albums have been good just not the same way to me. I haven't even listened to the ones I own enough to memorize them like I did with the early ones. They are amazing live. I was going to see them again this past spring but one of my best friends in this world was in the hospital dieing and I needed to see him off. I would like to see Rush again but if I don't thats ok too.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 12:58 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:

Some brilliant melodies with 'Cold Fire' and 'Everyday Glory'.....

But I must also mention 'Virtuality' from 'Test for Echo'... one of the heaviest songs they've ever written (imo) and literally unknown..... sigh....

🤘

To my ears, there is not a bad song on TFE, it is a truly awesome album. BTW, I just picked yp Snakes and Arrows Live...WOW!!!
Back to top Go down

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 1:13 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:

"Stick It Out" sounds like Voivod-lite to me during the verses. Maybe that's why I love it so much.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 1:15 pm

I love Counterparts, I like every album in the Rush discography in various degree the only Rush album I did not care for was " Hold Your Fire' and even that one has its moments
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 1:16 pm

manny wrote:
I love Counterparts, I like every album in the Rush discography in various degree the only Rush album I did not care for was " Hold Your Fire' and even that one has its moments

It is pretty forgettable, unfortunately. Sad
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 4:08 pm

the sentinel wrote:
manny wrote:
I love Counterparts, I like every
album in the Rush discography in various degree the only Rush album I
did not care for was " Hold Your Fire' and even that one has its
moments

I like Hold Your Fire. The production is too slick and the overall feel
of the album is kind of mellow, but there are some great songs on
there. Time Stand Still is awesome, and I like Force Ten and Mission
quite a bit as well.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
manny wrote:
moments

quite a bit as well.

I like 'Hold Your Fire'. I must admit when it first came out in 87... I was disappointed. Granted I was listening to alot of Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and the like..... I was really bummed when they bipassed the SF Bay Area on that tour because Rush wanted reserve seats and Bill 'money grubber' Graham wanted cattle car service....

I always liked 'Open Secrets', 'Mission', 'Lock and Key' and 'Turn the Page'. 'Force Ten' improved for me with time and 'Time Stands Still' was nice pop rock.... yes I really missed Alex's heavier guitar parts, but it was still RUSH... These days 'Tai Shan' and 'High Water' are like finding hidden gems to me... Great stuff.

However 'Prime Mover' makes me think of boring old fart rock... yuk....

'Driven' on TFE was a great song but 'Virtuallity' is just what the doctor ordered!!! Great breaks and time changes....

headbanger
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 8:26 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
manny wrote:
moments

Ok you have convienced me to give it another spin with a pair of fresh ears.
quite a bit as well.

I like 'Hold Your Fire'. I must admit when it first came out in 87... I was disappointed. Granted I was listening to alot of Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and the like..... I was really bummed when they bipassed the SF Bay Area on that tour because Rush wanted reserve seats and Bill 'money grubber' Graham wanted cattle car service....

I always liked 'Open Secrets', 'Mission', 'Lock and Key' and 'Turn the Page'. 'Force Ten' improved for me with time and 'Time Stands Still' was nice pop rock.... yes I really missed Alex's heavier guitar parts, but it was still RUSH... These days 'Tai Shan' and 'High Water' are like finding hidden gems to me... Great stuff.

However 'Prime Mover' makes me think of boring old fart rock... yuk....

'Driven' on TFE was a great song but 'Virtuallity' is just what the doctor ordered!!! Great breaks and time changes....

headbanger

Ok you have convienced me to give it another spin with a pair of fresh ears.
quite a bit as well.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 9:51 am

I recently picked up Snakes and Arrows, it's bloody brilliant!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:42 pm

candlemass wrote:
I recently picked up Snakes and Arrows, it's bloody brilliant!

I acquired that CD in the first weeks of its release, too. Definitely a hint and turn towards a grinder RUSH sound. I love the new CD!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 8:14 pm

Actually, I was disappointed with Snakes and Arrows. Only listened to it a handful of times, but the lyrics were too smug and preachy for me.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 6:04 pm

quote="Tall Tyrion"]Actually, I was disappointed with Snakes and Arrows. Only listened to it a handful of times, but the lyrics were too smug and preachy for me.[/quote]

Loved Snakes and Arrows.... Best disc in 20 years !! Saw 'em 2x's on this tour...

🤘
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 1:57 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
quote="Tall Tyrion"]Actually, I was disappointed with Snakes and Arrows. Only listened to it a handful of times, but the lyrics were too smug and preachy for me.

Loved Snakes and Arrows.... Best disc in 20 years !! Saw 'em 2x's on this tour...

🤘[/quote]

I concur, this lp really impressed me, I haven't looked over the lyrics yet so I don't get the "preachy" tag. Did anyone notice after the first few measures of the first song, a brief nostalgic moment?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:34 am

Those of ya with VH1 Classic may want to tune in today as they're programming all-Rush, all the time, for the next 24 hours. It's called "Rush Hashanah" (haha) in honor of the Jewish holiday today.

...So are some of the Rush guys Jewish, or is it just a bit of clever word play? Either way, I've seen some killer old Rush vids today that I haven't seen in years so it's been a pretty cool trip down memory lane.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:41 am

That's cool Fred. The video for Time Stand Still is one of the worst ever made. Smile Not even Aimee Mann could save that one. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RUSH - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RUSH   RUSH - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RUSH
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next