Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine

Go down 
+7
ultmetal
INVADERS
Rex
mc666
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Empty
PostSubject: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm sorry if this was addressed somewhere else already but I searched the forum and didn't see it.

I was just wondering if/when we could expect to see a review of Warrel Dane's solo album, "Praises to the War Machine."

I just thought it was odd that it wasn't up on the site yet considering he has Dane as his #2 favorite vocalist. I personally loved the album and thought some parts really showed off his vocal abilities.

Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 8:07 pm

NLTM isn't really a review site, not in the "webzine" sense. Scott basically gives thoughts on his collection—when he has time to do so. Updates come once a month, or less frequently than that.

We did discuss the album here, however:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/heart-of-metal-f1/warrel-dane-t2254.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 8:10 pm

thanks, i didn't really mean 'review' in that sense of it. I was just curious of his thoughts is all. I saw it wasn't in his most recent update and thought i'd ask
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 8:31 pm

BeerBaron wrote:
thanks, i didn't really mean 'review' in that sense of it. I was just curious of his thoughts is all. I saw it wasn't in his most recent update and thought i'd ask
If you stick around here (good idea), you'll see that, like many of us, Scott can get 20+ albums in a week. I imagine it's hard to review everything in a timely manner.

But I don't know his process, so just wait and I'm sure he'll reply here.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 8:36 pm

I'm interested in other peeps opinions of this album as well.

This one is on my "might buy" list.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:12 pm

I've had it for almost a week now. I've got some thoughts, but I'll do it when I have more time. Stay tuned...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 2:58 am

From what i've heard it is like a watered down Nevermore sound and kinda boring overall. For what it's worth there are some interesting lyrics as usual by Warrel.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:24 am

troublezone wrote:
From what i've heard it is like a watered down Nevermore sound and kinda boring overall. For what it's worth there are some interesting lyrics as usual by Warrel.
you should hear more then. it's a great album in it's specific genre.

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:28 am

troublezone wrote:
I don't think it's anything like Nevermore, watered down or not. Plus, Warrel sings in different styles on this one.

I think it's a solid album. I've only listened to it a few times, but it's sounds great.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:29 am

mc666 wrote:
troublezone wrote:
you should hear more then. it's a great album in it's specific genre.

What genre is it because it's a little weaker than Nevermore.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:30 am

i would say gothic metal. just my opinion though.

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:34 am

mc666 wrote:
I don't know about that. I'd say there are moments of gothic metal, but the album is pretty varied—groove metal, straight up heavy metal, prog-metal, etc. Tough to pinpoint what it really is. Mixed metal. =)
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 3:34 am

mc666 wrote:

Yeah i think your right. Definately not modern thrash/power metal like Nevermore.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 7:51 am

I think the album is bloomin' awesome!
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 8:37 am

Awesome album.
Dane rulez!!
Can't wait for the new Nevermore DVD and CD
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:52 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've had it for almost a week now. I've got some thoughts, but I'll do it when I have more time. Stay tuned...

I like it. It didn't grab me immediatley and I had to give it a few spins before I really started to get into it. I don't think it's too far off from some of the more somber stuff that Nevermore does though. I would agree that it's not as thrashy as some of their more upbeat songs can be, but if you put this disc in your player with some other Nevermore cd's and hit shuffle, I don't think you'd notice much difference aside from a coupla of missing Loomis solos. Part of me is a little disappointed in that fact. As I listen to it, I'm saying "This could/should be a Nevermore song. Was this solo album really necessary?". But I guess that's all par for the course. I'm sure if he went too far out of his normal genre, people would trash it because it doesn't sound like Nevermore. When I listen to solo Dickinson or Halford, they have a certain something that makes them different from their respective bands. I'm not sure I'm getting that with this cd, but maybe it's just that I'm not as familiar with this material yet.

Overall, I liking this cd the more I listen to it and I think fans of Nevermore will enjoy it. I'm even looking forward to the Jeff Loomis solo cd and I'm not much into instrumentals, but that dude shreds. Guess I'm a bit of a fan-boy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 10:23 am

In a way, I think it allowed for Dane to do more with his amazing voice to not have Loomis there if you can follow my logic on that.

I'm not going to say that anything without Jeff Loomis that could have Jeff Loomis is better, lol, but I don't think it hurt this album not to have him.

I liked the album and thought it had a good variety of songs that showed off some of Dane's ability. The backing band also wasn't bad...

good stuff i thought
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 10:25 am

BeerBaron wrote:
I'm sorry if this was addressed somewhere else already but I searched the forum and didn't see it.

I was just wondering if/when we could expect to see a review of Warrel Dane's solo album, "Praises to the War Machine."

I just thought it was odd that it wasn't up on the site yet considering he has Dane as his #2 favorite vocalist. I personally loved the album and thought some parts really showed off his vocal abilities.

Thanks

As soon as I get a copy, I'll review it. Haven't actually heard it yet. So many great CDs, so little money. Sad

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 11:14 am

I think it's a great album, and it's just what I imagined it to be. I just love the man's voice, his lyrics, and his choices for cover songs! On the bad note, the ex-Soilwork dood makes the album sound a tad to Soilwork-ish. Not any particular song, but the album in general, if you know what I mean.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 11:26 am

BeerBaron wrote:
In a way, I think it allowed for Dane to do more with his amazing voice to not have Loomis there if you can follow my logic on that.

I'm not going to say that anything without Jeff Loomis that could have Jeff Loomis is better, lol, but I don't think it hurt this album not to have him.

I liked the album and thought it had a good variety of songs that showed off some of Dane's ability. The backing band also wasn't bad...

good stuff i thought

Agree on all points.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Good to hear that others liked it as well. Can't wait for the review
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 2:24 pm

So there you have it. Scott is poor.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Eyesore wrote:
So there you have it. Scott is poor.

Anyone wanna donate to the cause? Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:54 pm

I'll trade you 20 cd's for your car. greedy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 10:07 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
I'll trade you 20 cd's for your car. greedy

Only if you take over the payments along with it. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine   Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next