Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warrel Dane (solo music)

Go down 
+6
kmorg
Gilbert
MetalRob331
Ben Grimm
nevermore
Metallic Blaze
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Warrel Dane (solo music) Empty
PostSubject: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 7:06 pm

What do you guys think about Warrel Dane's solo music?

Personally, though I'm a fan of Nevermore and Sanctuary - I actually like his solo album better than both bands. It has a much darker, gothic feel to it. Of course, Warrel is a fan of goth music in real life, so it's natural that would spill over into his solo album.

Any fans? Let's talk about Warrel Dane.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 7:57 pm

I like his solo album but prefer his work in both Sanctuary and Nevermore.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Yeah, the solo was a good album but I want more Nevermore.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 8:51 pm

I was leary about the Warrle Dane solo album but I really liked the album not as much a Nevermore, but very good. And I can see that these songs are better not on a Nevermore album
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Nevermore > Warrel Dane all day.. I have the album and it slays but its not close to Nevermore...Dane is amazing
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 11:37 pm

yeah, I figured I'd be in the minority in liking Dane's solo stuff moreso than Nevermore. I guess it's because I love the goth aspect of it.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 12:21 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
yeah, I figured I'd be in the minority in liking Dane's solo stuff moreso than Nevermore. I guess it's because I love the goth aspect of it.

Im not a fan of Goth music at all. I dont really hear any of that in his solo album. Nevermore has Jeff Loomis and Van Williams and better songwriting and thats what separates the two for me...
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 2:02 am

I like the sanctuary era.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 3:51 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Im not a fan of Goth music at all. I dont really hear any of that in his solo album. Nevermore has Jeff Loomis and Van Williams and better songwriting and thats what separates the two for me...

Yeah, there is quite a bit of gothic undertones all throughout the album.

I mean, he covered a Sisters of Mercy song (Lucretia, My Reflection). It doesn't get anymore goth than The Sisters of Mercy. But since you are not into that scene, you probably didn't realize that.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 3:55 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Yeah, there is quite a bit of gothic undertones all throughout the album.

I mean, he covered a Sisters of Mercy song (Lucretia, My Reflection). It doesn't get anymore goth than The Sisters of Mercy. But since you are not into that scene, you probably didn't realize that.

Thats my fav song on the cd and it is just straight forward metal to me especially the outro. Also Danes vocals on that song are amazing. Blows away the original IMO....
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 6:15 am

I really loved his solo album. But calling it better than Nevermore is an apples and oranges discussion to me. I'll take both, thank you very much. Very Happy

The only negative side to the solo CD might be that there is a little too much standard Soilwork-esq riffing. It just get's a tad boring, borderline mall-core stuff. Other than that, this CD rules.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Yeah, Praises To The War Machine was a very enjoyable album. I definitely agree with kmorg though, the riffs were a bit too Soilwork at points. Ideally the album would have been a bit more goth, because it was good to see Dane indulge that side a bit more. I love the Sisters of Mercy cover for instance. Also, I think 'Brother' is probably one of the best songs Dane has ever been a part of - fantastic song.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 5:23 pm

I didn't like the solo release that much. I just couldn't get into it - kind of boring, if you asked me. But I've also lost interest in Nevermore the past few years.

I really liked Dead Heart though. And Politics of Ecstacy is awesome, especially the Tiananmen Man.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Yeah, I just love Warrel Dane's solo album. I really hope he decides to do another one. Does anyone know if he will?

As far as the Soilwork guitar, that's a given seeing how Peter Wichers is his guitarist on here. I'm also a pretty big Soilwork fan, so that's just fine with me!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 4:38 am

Lari wrote:
I didn't like the solo release that much. I just couldn't get into it - kind of boring, if you asked me. But I've also lost interest in Nevermore the past few years.

I really liked Dead Heart though. And Politics of Ecstacy is awesome, especially the Tiananmen Man.

Dead Heart In A Dead World is one of the best metal cds ever....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 10:29 am

I like Dane's solo album very much. Just spun it recently and it still sounds great. I don't know much about the goth or mall-core scene, so I can't make a comparision to those genres. To me, it sounded like some of the more mellow, meloncholy songs that Nevermore does. So much in fact that if you threw that disc in a shuffle with all of Nevermore's discs, I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 12:32 am

Really, I see a pretty big difference myself. Maybe it's just me though.
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:05 am

Love that first Sanctuary album (Refuge Denied). It's still one of my all-time favorite metal discs. The followup wasn't nearly as good and the Nevermore stuff isn't either.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 10:13 am

Cliffy wrote:
Love that first Sanctuary album (Refuge Denied). It's still one of my all-time favorite metal discs. The followup wasn't nearly as good and the Nevermore stuff isn't either.

I read that on Dane's recent solo tour, he played a few Sanctuary tunes. With all these bands going back and re-recording their "classic" albums, it might be cool to see what the current incarnation of Nevermore could do with some of those old Sanctuary tunes. Could Warrel still hit some of those high notes? Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_biggrin

EDIT: He played 2 Sanctuary tunes - Taste Revenge & Eden Lies Obscured

PostSubject: Re: Warrel Dane (solo music)   Warrel Dane (solo music) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warrel Dane (solo music)
Page 1 of 1